Movie: Passion of Christ, how did it make you feel?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (209 posts)
  1. Castlepaloma profile image75
    Castlepalomaposted 13 years ago

Christians got this warm and fussy or excided feeling from the film.

I can't remember watching any film with so much suffering on a single person. I had this throwing up feeling all over and I am the fearless type.

I guess feeling ill makes me normal, how did it make you feel?

1. Randy Godwin profile image60
      Randy Godwinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Glad it had no meaning for me!  Depressing at its best!  Especially after Mel's tirade!  lol

Castlepalomaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Old Mad max, at it again,

How it make Christian feel happy is beyond my understanding Amnesty International

1. profile image0
          Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I felt some sadness.  Some renewed realization of what a horrible death Christ suffered.  When "Mary" was grieving for Him as He died, I felt huge sympathy for a mother losing her son, but huger empathy because I knew, just as she knew, that He was not just her son, but was the Son of God!  So mostly, as you questioned, I felt relief and happiness as the movie ended, because it's the story of God's Love.    Jesus said in the Bible that there's no greater love than for a man to lay down his life for his friends.   I grew up having been taught that Jesus is the greatest friend to those who Love Him.  So the Passion was a very moving confirmation of that.

1. oceansnsunsets profile image83
            oceansnsunsetsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree Brenda, and we know that it wasn't the end of the story either.  The best part of the story was left out, but that is ok as it WAS the Passion, not the Resurrection story.  It was very sad, if that was all there is, and that is what may be lost on some people, that Jesus in the process of going through all of that, was conquering the effects of sin on a humanity that is full of sin, and that can't save themselves even if they were willing to die for that sin. 

Jesus suffered, so that people might choose life, and live!  It wasn't the end at all, but rather barely the beginning.

2. Woman Of Courage profile image61
            Woman Of Courageposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Agreed, I felt very sad for the terrible way in which Jesus suffered. Watching the movie was touching. I am happy that Jesus love us so much that he laid down his life for all of our sins. There is no greater love!

2. Randy Godwin profile image60

A silly story really.  Sacrificing one's son when he can be brought back instantly doesn't strike me as giving up anything at all.  Now if Jesus remained dead and wasn't resurrected as some believe, that would be a sacrifice equal to humans losing a child.

I see no such thing in this case!

That you can call what Jesus went through, nothing, or as giving up nothing at all is sad and alarming.  It was still awful, still an innocent man, not deserving of what he had to humanly go through.  Minimizing it for personal reasons or any reason will never really minimize the actual true sacrifice that it was. 

One time, once and for all.  For people to accept or reject.  (speaking of the story itself here, not just the movie that was also giving a portrayal of the gospel accounts.)

1. Beelzedad profile image57
              Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh, that's very different, Jesus was a man and not a god, then? Please make up your mind. smile

Read the accounts about Jesus, those that lived and ate and walked with him have written all about it.  Please don't put words in my mouth either.

In general I ought to make it a rule for myself, to not engage with the many people on hub pages that are here to just mock others beliefs....everyday.  If and when it happens, as it invariably does, I will just walk away from that conversation (not the whole forum) for it can turn into much time spent talking with people that are just out to mock and hurt others.  That is something I am not into, personally.

So, to all on this and other boards, if I go "quiet" it is because time is precious and life is flying by.  I don't want to engage in futility.  If there are genuine questions or discussions, I am so happy to engage in those.

1. Woman Of Courage profile image61

oceansnusunsets, Exactly, those who mock and try to hurt others are pretty miserable anyway. Keep in mind that some engage in these forums to try to knock others from accepting Jesus as their personal Lord and Savior. Lord forgive them, for they know not what they do.

How did he give up more than the untold numbers of other innocents murdered in God's name?  They weren't brought back to life in a few days by their dad.  What was the big sacrifice?  What was given up?  So now we don't have to kill chickens any more? Fill me in!  smile

1. emdi profile image62
                emdiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Once some one while preaching about God told, " God is like your father". Then one child got up and shouted- " if God is like my father, I will never believe in him, because my father is a drunkard".

I think u have never experienced  the love of God, nor experienced his presence in your life, probably u might not have got the right opportunity for that. Do you really think Catholic Church could fool people for more than 2000 years? There are only few countries in this world that is as old as the church. There is no leader in this world who has inspired people as many as Jesus Christ. There is no company/no institution as old as the church. There are a billion catholics and other churches, Do u really think all these billion people who are inspired by Jesus, believe in him are just crazy?? There is definitely something that drives them. There were several scandals inside the church administration, did it kill the faith of billion people, no it did not. There is definitely something that brings people back to God.

So what is is that drives the faith of a billion people of this world, over 2000 years? I don't want to explain it here, but if u have guts and courage go and find out. Then u can find out the answers for all the questions that u asked (if u are really interested to know)

I have attempted to learn this most of my life.  Born and reared in the Bible Belt and witness to every sort of fundie cult in the south.  From snake handlers to tongue speakers I've examined the various cults and their followers as best I could.

A hardship at the very least as most are very similar to those posting pro-Jesus in these threads.  They cannot understand anyone who dares to contradict their indoctrination into a particular cult.  But they have no problem gleefully dooming you to eternal suffering if you disagree with their deity.

2. Beelzedad profile image57

I laughed till I cried, and then laughed some more. Obviously, this was the Crucifixion/Resurrection story meets MadMax/Lethal Weapon, and just as mythical. I kept waiting for Danny Glover to show up as Jesus' crusty, old sidekick. smile

1. profile image0
        just_curiousposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ok. Humor is apparently not your forte.

Maybe not, but putting it into perspective certainly is... smile

1. profile image0

That is your perspective, and I'm big enough to respect that.

Aww, were you upset that your mythical invisible friend got put through the Hollywood meat grinder? lol

1. profile image0

Hey, you're sounding like a cross between the two other prominent nay sayers. Which, oddly, I kind of like. Its a different side. Very impressive maneuver. You still find ways to amaze me. No small feat. So when do you plan on answering the question I keep asking you?

Actually, it is!  I find Beezle's humor quite refreshing here.  But then, I'm partial to realistic humor from intelligent sources.

1. profile image0

lol that made no sense, in the context it appears to have been said. Except to make someone feel better about themselves. Which is not a bad thing. You're a good person Randy.

I try, JC!  But some surely differ in their opinion of me!  smile

3. oceansnsunsets profile image83

Agreed.

2. ediggity profile image60
        ediggityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Believer or non believer, it's truly sad and a little concerning when one watches a movie like that and has these feelings. sad

Only if you took it seriously. Do you believe all movies are real "tragic events"? lol

1. ediggity profile image60

I wouldn't laught at any movie about any man being beaten and crucified.  There are lots  of tragic "just movies" that aren't funny. sad

Yes, I understand you're distraught at having to watch your savior being beaten to death and crucified. No worries, though, no gods or men were harmed in the making of that movie.

Of course, your Jesus never felt anything either, he was a god, right? lol

I'm sorry you find humor in people being beaten and crucified.  sad

Aww, don't worry, you'll get over it. Just remember that your Jesus wasn't a man and couldn't have felt anything. You need not feel distressed any more.

Of course, you never laughed at the Coyote or Daffy Duck. Funny how the moving from animation to real life seems to make a huge difference with mythical beings. lol

Not a very good comparison at all.  Even if you believe it was a made up story about any person, very sad.  sad

2. Woman Of Courage profile image61

eddigity, Same here, what a bad sense of humor.

Did you feel the same watching the old westerns when so many of the indians were killed by the good guys in the white hats so their land could be stolen?  Probably not, it was a movie.  smile

I'm not a fan of Westerns, but I didn't laugh at 3:10 to Yuma,did you?

I'm sure there are plenty of movies in which you didn't waste time worrying about a horrific death in a scene.  You obviously feel you should take TPOTC seriously because you have to.  I understand you have no control over this.  smile 

But that is your choice and one I do not envy you for.  I'm sure you would feel the same about me having such emotion about the stooges.  Or am I mistaken in that assumption? lol

No, you're completely right, it is my choice.  Point is, just because I don't watch movies with Indians (or anyone for that matter) being slaughtered, doesn't mean I would laugh at one if I did.  Additionally, you don't make a very good point, because the premise of my statement was based off a disbelief from the poster in the original comment.  I think that it is a safe assumption that we both believe Indians were slaughtered.

Fair points throughout. I for one, appreciate them.  We need more of that!

2. oceansnsunsets profile image83

More put downs.  I would love to be surprised one day.  Maybe it can happen.

You are absolutely right, ediggity. 

It may be true or not.  Recall how the "evil" expressed in the movie, also mocked everything good, and grinned and laughed at it?  Remember how chilling that part and parts were?  I do.....

Yes, it's amazing how movie special effects and computer graphics can make everything so real, almost as if you're right there. smile

No one is suggesting (other than you) that the movie itself makes any of the historical gospel accounts true or not.  The movie was taking literary license of course, but in general it is the account, even if written with some flair. 

When I am speaking of the gospel accounts, and movie, perhaps I should be more clear.  No one is confusing that a movie can make a thing real or not.  So I am not sure why you are suggesting that over and over.

Very disturbing. sad

In his mind it's not, which is even scarier.

I know...

I know of no christians that got a warm or fuzzy feel, or an excited feel from that film.  I haven't even heard of anyone like that.  I felt horrified at the expression of an idea of what may have happened to Jesus. 

It does help one to realize the severe cost to sin and what it takes to conquer evil, sin, and death.   In that sense, it makes one thankful, that a person that could lay down his own life that could actually "get it done" (conquering said things...) so that I don't have to die eternally for  my own sins. 

To say that Christians get a warm and fuzzy feeling or an excited feeling just isn't true though.  So this may be one of those forums that is just baiting people to go after them. 

If it made you feel like throwing up or getting sick, welcome to the world we live in, its crazy evil and people seem to be either supportive of it or not.  It is also because it is just that awful.   Mel Gibson is known to get a little graphic though too.

Gods can't die, can they? What "man" laid down his life? No man did.

It would only make someone feel like that if they took it seriously.

FYI - it was a movie. lol

I suppose you laugh at all movies with tragic events.....sad, really.  sad

Aww, and I'm sure your being "connected" was pretending your mythical god actually died. "Tragic event"  lol

1. profile image0

Hey Beelzedad. You should stop making fun of people over this. It doesn't reflect well.

I was making fun of a myth, not a person. Pay attention. smile

1. profile image0

I did not miss your point, but this is a highly emotional topic. It isn't the same as baiting someone for other ideas that stem from their belief. It is a little like hitting below the belt.

Yes, I know, believers are talking about a movie in which their loving god was beaten and tortured to death, that is, if gods can be beaten and tortured to death, which makes no sense at all.

It's a movie, an actor played the part of Jesus, the blood was fake, as were the beatings.

Do you also get as highly emotional when the Coyote gets splattered all over the place after chasing the Road Runner, or do you laugh? smile

In the gospels in the bible, there are eyewitness accounts of the life of Jesus.  They also recount his history, showing how he came to be on the earth in the first place.  If you read those, you will understand more how Jesus is both man, and the very Son of God, that did things only a God could do.  You don't have to agree or believe it, but it would clear up your misunderstandings of what seem to be fair questions or concerns about the situation. 

I know it was a movie, and you have already said that.  I am speaking about not just the movie, but what it was about, and about things I have researched over my life.

Yes, there are eyewitness accounts of Bigfoot, Nessie and visiting aliens, too. So what?

Funny how believers swallow that nonsense, hook line and sinker, yet never think about it to understand that if the believers description of their gods as being all-powerful and all-knowing has any bearing on their belief system, they would understand that Jesus was not a man, but was a god in a man's suit and never really died at all, unless you will claim that gods can die.

Researched? lol

You are a mocker, and not serious.  There is no point in speaking in these forums if that is all you are going to do.  I have seen it allowed here by many though.  I personally think that it hurts hubpages and the forums, that people make such a mockery and game of putting others down and their beliefs. 

Its just another reason to believe however, which is rather ironic.  There are so many good reasons to believe in God, but that atheists or non religious types act in these ways ongoing, is testament all its own.  By doing this, you are proving it more true.  Its as if what is written is 100% true, in ways that I can't force or not.  It just is.....observably true.

It looks like we agree on something, I think it hurts Hubpages when religionists preach their gospel here, threaten others with eternal damnation, make claims that Jesus sent their kids to Disneyland, spit venom at anyone who doesn't share those beliefs... etc.

And yet, there are many, many more reasons not to believe in your god.

Do you not find any good reasons to believe in Allah, or Thor, or Zeus, or... smile

Your accusations, if true could easily be dealt with.  I only see accusations of those kinds of things, not real life experiences.  What I said though, is observably true, daily, even by hubpages elite, which is disturbing too. 

To answer you, and assume the best that you are being half serious there with the question at the end, my answer is no, I don't find any good reasons to believe in Allah, Thor or Zeus.

Thanks, but I already knew that. The question was rhetorical. smile

How long have you been indoctrinated into your cult?  Fundie I guess?  smile

It's sad you confuse mocking with reality and common sense. But these aren't required for a blind faith sort of belief system.  In fact, they should be discarded by the followers of all religious faiths as being detrimental to the particular cult.

Once again, just my view on all cults.

There are many cults in the world, but you just saying what is and isn't a cult, isn't a good determining factor on the truth of those accusations. 

Studying up on cults can help.  Just having a super broad view on what they could be, so that you can put people down with such ways of thinking and being, isn't a very moral thing to do, even if you aren't religious.  That would just be uncool across the board.  Some worldviews support those ways of being, but I would find that an instantly good reason to reject them.  They "fail" right off the bat.

But aren't you telling me I am wrong because I do not believe as you do?  Do you look down on those you consider ungodly?  What makes your belief in your chosen deity any better than any other of the multitude of believers in other gods, silly or not?

What makes your opinion of gods any better than mine?

2. Castlepaloma profile image75

oceansnsunsets

The Exorcist (devil film) made me throw up my dinner, Passion of Christ made feel like throwing up, so fearless people do have feelings too. At the world trade exhibition, USA was represented by Hollywood, so people do get influence to a degree by films. The warm and fuzzy Christian feeling comes some relief of false fear, you stand a better chance to avoid being tortured for eternity. Yet in reality it was created from low factual and suffering imagination. 

I wonder if the of the masochism and sadistic of the world would enjoy if a movie was made about the Bald headed Priest. A story, in the bible, about children mocking a bald headed priest, who shredded them to death by bears. Being a part time film maker, I would watch it, just  to see how they would turn it into a G rated film for a complete family adventure to experience.

4. To Start Again profile image70
      To Start Againposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm a Christian and I certainly didn't feel warm or fuzzy while watching it. In fact, I doubt many Christians at all felt that way. I felt sad, very very sad. It was heartbreaking to watch what Jesus may have had to experience and the worst part is, the movie probably didn't even come close to showing the suffering he experienced.

I would totally agree, To Start Again.

2. Castlepaloma profile image75

To Start Again

How do you know how much pain Jesus suffered from some 2000 years ago? For all the people who lived on earth (100 billion or so) suffered in degrees death Spiritual leaders have been known to block out pain.

Some Muslim and Hindu believe Jesus recover from the cross and lived out his life in India. I would too, if the Romans, who created Satan, were after me.

Jesus suffered no pain at all, gods cannot feel pain, or can they? smile

5. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't know. I've never seen the movie, as I heard it was a utter piece of crap by many reliable sources.  Although one of these days, I know I will see it because it is the highest grossing "R-rated" film of all time, so I am curious as to see why that is.  However, I think the best movie version of Jesus was "The Last Temptation of Christ", as it actually showed a more human side to the biblical jesus.  Not only that, it was one of those rare controversial films that challenged people's perception religion and one it's more prominent figures. I highly recommend that movie though. big_smile

6. profile image0
      SirDentposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It made me feel humble, loved, sad, happy and many different emotions I cannot remember.  Humble because Jesus did something I could not do.  Loved because Jesus took my place.  Sad because He had to go through with it for me.  Happy that he didn't back away from His calling.

I was also a little angry at times when the movie went a direction away from what scripture states happened.

1. salt profile image61
        saltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

read the dead sea scrolls and you might understand things in the scriptures may be the mass culture edition.

Naw, Dent has his own favorite version of the mythical book, as do most cultists.  smile

7. profile image50
      paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I did not see the film but I know that Jesus was a truthulf person and he obeyed commandments of the Creator-God with passion; he was not a god or son of god himself though.

2. profile image0
    just_curiousposted 13 years ago

I cried. And then I cried some more. And then I had to go to the concession stand to get napkins. Then I cried some more.

I was a powerful movie. Even if Mel Gibson did it.

I think the horror of the whole thing just shocked me. We've all read the story, but the brutality of that movie drove home the point of what lengths He was willing to go to, to send the message. Our collective history scares me. Has the sacrifice helped us to rise above that mentality, or is it still in us; kept at bay by our desire to be better? I vacillate quite strongly with my answer to that in the world we live in.

I felt similar to how you describe above.  It was too much really and so sad.  People need to remember that the story doesn't end there.  That was my biggest complaint.  Such a horrible thing, ends with the greatest story ever told, that offers hope to all mankind, this is a great thing!  The cost was a lot though, and that is what we were reminded of. I couldn't watch a lot of it. 

I agree that history is scary, and I would add that current events are equally scary as they are playing out.  The extreme deception and hatred we see in the world is more horrifying to me than the movie.  That is scary huh?

1. profile image0

Yes, I find the current world frightening whether viewed from a religious perspective or not. I did force myself to not turn away from any part of the movie. I usually look down, or away, if I'm watching something that I consider to include graphic violence not necessary to the story (which is pretty much always), but I felt compelled to deny myself that while watching this. I figured if I believe in the resurrection I should claim my part in the reason for it. Which is probably one of the reasons I found it so hard to bear. Which is actually odd for me. I'm pretty unemotional about most things.

That is fair, and I hear you, Just curious.

3. Ron Montgomery profile image61
    Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years ago
  4. profile image0
    jomineposted 13 years ago

I was wondering about the passion of the two thieves!! They died only after jesus, after some more suffering....

It's like, I’m always pulling for pleasure and Christians are pushing for pain.

Christian take passion in a man nailed to a cross and Jesus talks more about hell than about heaven in the bible, towards an exclusive fight club.

I'm always pushing for love and I do not understand the huge discrimination among Christians toward most of the world's population and their idea’s of love and beyond.

It's the nature of the beast, Castlepaloma!  The masses cannot be controlled by religious leaders unless the followers are threatened with suffering and death if they do not toe the line!  smile

It works well for those who are indoctrinated into the religion.  They dare not think about anything contrary to the teachings of those who "enlightened" them.  Willful ignorance is the greatest of all sins, IMHO!

The two thieves show how merciful and gracious God is.  Jesus is no respector of persons, and even asking forgiveness, sincerely at the end of that theives life meant he was able to have eternal life. 

Its a wonderful story of forgiveness and mercy, where Jesus is realizing the gravity of the situation, to the point that he prays for those killing him and mocking him.  That is real love, and something you don't see everyday.

Neither is the dead coming back to life something you see everyday.

FYI - it was a movie about a myth. smile

I know that you are sharing your personal beliefs there with us all, and I can respect that. smile  Many others are convinced that it is not just a myth, not at all. 

Dead coming back to life is not something you see everyday, agreed.  That is part of the point, and why so many today are still being transformed in very real ways by the life of Jesus and his message.  It is just as it would be if God were real and revealing himself to mankind.  It literally has transformed all of history and the globe ever since.

As long as you do not disparage my Stoogism beliefs and take Moe, Larry and Curly seriously as gods, I will give your beliefs the same respect.  Deal?  smile

If only you were being serious, then I would absolutely respect that.  We all know you don't believe in stoogism beliefs, but are really putting down others with your comment there.

I could say the same for your beliefs and actually feel the same way about your beliefs as you do my Stoogism.  Can you not see that?  Imagine me trying to convince you Moe knows best and the way you would look at my preferred delusion.  This is how I feel about yours.  I am serious!

No, there is a difference and you know it.  See, I KNOW you don't actually believe in your stoogism, and you are out to put people down, and laugh about it like you always do.  You SEEM to not care that very real people find very real reasons to believe what they, even if you disagree.  I know that is not the case with your example, Curly, Larry and Moe.  That I even entertained this with an answer is probably a mistake, because I am also assuming you want to be a fair and reasonable person. Lets hope I was right, despite what I am seeing and often see here.

So no, Its not the same, and I can't see that you are trying to say that I actually don't believe in Jesus at all, like how you don't believe in Curly larry and moe.  I think you knew the answer before you asked though.

Of course I don't believe in Stoogism.  But imagine how I look at you who I feel believes in something equally silly.  I am glad you don't think I am serious about the Stooges.  But I am sorry you do believe in your own particular "Stoogism."

Not trying to be cruel, but this is how your beliefs appear to those not brainwashed into the cult. It is difficult to make a believer understand they are looked at in the same manner.  Can you at least admit to this being true?  smile

2. ediggity profile image60

Even if you don't believe it, you watched the movie of a man beaten bloody and crucified, and you though that was funny?  That really says a lot about your character. sad

Actually, it shows more about the fact that I knew it was movie and not a real "tragic event" - keep pretending it was, if it makes you feel better.lol

1. profile image0
              jomineposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lets cry over Jesus of passion of Christ, the good thief who's knees were broken(incidentally, i heard, he is still continuing his vocation in paradise!!)
              lets cry over Jack of Titanic, othello......  lol

5. ediggity profile image60
    ediggityposted 13 years ago

I felt connected, relieved, and sad.

I did too.

6. Midnight Oil profile image83
    Midnight Oilposted 13 years ago

Seen it once, and I will never watch it again  - A bloody film and not nice.  Personally, its nothing to do with religion, but an excuse for a blood fest.. sad sad sad

7. Randy Godwin profile image60
    Randy Godwinposted 13 years ago

What changed after the rumored death of JC?  Did people stop sinning as much? I doubt it!  There is nothing to show such a minor sacrifice helped anything in the world to be better.  But I am open to any stats showing my opinion to be wrong, as always.smile

Start with the 180 of people like Paul the Apostle.  Take that and multiply it down the ages, ever since.  It hasn't stopped changing lives ever since, and even haters and atheists can't stay away from talking about Jesus.  Its really amazing if you think about it.

Religions always start with people, not gods.  The particular linage of the cult followers has no bearing on the truth of the cult.  All been done long before your cult was imagined and created.  Nothing new!

1. emdi profile image62
          emdiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree! Religion starts with people. One of the most important teaching of Jesus (sorry he is my hero, even though u don't like him) is "Love others as u love yourself".

What is the name of that church pastor who rides in Bentley? There was another guy who said he is Jesus, second coming and duped several people. However, there are good works also going on.

Have you ever thought about what motivates Mother Teresa sisters to work with slum dwellers, drug addicts, homeless and outcasts. They could have lived a wonderful life, instead they took a different life style. There is definitely something that motivates and drives all these sisters.

2. graceomalley profile image83
      graceomalleyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

In Tomas Cahill's Hinges of History series, he wrote a book called "Desire of the Everlasting Hills" about the impact of Jesus on the world. His argument is that Jesus profoundly changed the world for the better.

Interestingly, Cahill does not accept the doctine that Jesus' death atones for our sins. His argument that Jesus has improved the world is based on people's reactions to Jesus teachings, and positive effect of Christian culture.

1. profile image0

Very good point you make. I bet we would be a different and even more violent world without the influence of His message.

1. graceomalley profile image83

Cahill's book was great - as a Christian I sometimes feel frustrated about all the mistakes of Christians down through the ages, so it was nice to read a different perspective. I wish Cahill had chosen a better title though. His book about the Greeks was titled "Sailing the Wine Dark Sea." That's a great title, makes you want to read it.

Ah, i should write a hub about the Hinges of History series! I'll add that to my list of hubs i need to write.

1. profile image0

Nice. I'll have to figure out where the follow button is on this droid so I'll know when you've published it. I'd be interested to read it.

2. Ron Montgomery profile image61
            Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'd be interested in reading that hub.  I first read Cahill's "How the Irish Saved Civilization" (I was disappointed to find it wasn't about whiskey but finished it anyway)and became hooked on the series.

OK, I gotta get crackin' on that one.

smile

But what about the effect it had on other cultures?  Those involved in the Crusades might disagree with you.  Especially those murdered because the "Christians" thought they were Muslim because of their similar attire. 

Or the estimated 80% of the Native American population decimated by disease, murder and enslavement by the European immigrants to the New World.

And lets not forget the untold multitudes of Africans-usually around one 1/3 never survived the Atlantic crossing-who were enslaved by God's chosen using the biblical scriptures as justification.

Something to be proud of, no doubt!  Moe is glad his followers never had a hand in any of these godless actions.

8. Mikeydoes profile image43
    Mikeydoesposted 13 years ago

Did not like it as a movie. Thought I wasted my money.

I did not like the Movie also,  it was like the movie Titanic, I knew what the horrible ending, would be.

What is the point in regretting the past, when the only thing needed is to redesign your life not to regret the future

1. profile image0

How'd you know the ending? I don't remember it being given away in any of the trailers.

I take part in film making, also when you travel the world you find out there is more important to Easter than to Christmas in most Christian countries.

Over all there more importance to Jesus death and to other people's thought of afterlife that draws the main stream Christian in.

1. profile image0

Actually, I knew that story.  I was talking about Titantic.

ha ha

9. salt profile image61
    saltposted 13 years ago

First, Im surprised at the number of answers. Second, I saw the movie in Sydney after watching some young asians chase each other down George St with knives.

It was odd to watch the knife chase as you suddenly realize that their reality is on a different plane than yours.

Anyway, the movie may have baseemed different to me after that. Parts of it I found oddly humourous, almost as if Gibson was poking fun or making a joke of it all. When the woman wiped up the blood and held the cloth to her chest, I thought " oh for the love of christ." I wasnt big on the violence, but I tell myself, its a movie and concerntrate on trying to understand how they create that effect.

The woman scorned with the baby, and the strength of the pure woman who trys to carry him through the darkness of his cross carrying. Again, the male version of life. It is his cross to bear, women are the support characters. Yet what leads men to say a woman scorned? Sometimes the woman scorned is the stronger woman who lives through the negativity of what the man percieves as his mistake, or rationalizes as such.

10. graceomalley profile image83
    graceomalleyposted 13 years ago

I wouldn't say most had a warm and fuzzy feeling. When I saw the movie, when the lights went up at the end the crowd had a stunned sort of quiet I've never seen in a movie theatre. Another thing i noticed, was no one was eating popcorn or snacks. Ususally people can munch through all sorts of violence, so the lack of popcorn and soda leads me to believe this movie was more stomach turning than others.

I did write in my Judgement Seat hub that this movie reconciled me to the symbol of the cross - before I had disliked even the short crucifiction scenes at the end of movies about Jesus' life. I did have an experience of peace watching the movie, but my reaction surprised me, and it wasn't the only emotion I felt either. If people talk warm fuzzies, I think that is a processed reaction a while after seeing the movie, intigrating it and their reactions with their faith. The crowd in that movie theatre sure didn't feel warm and fuzzy to me.

About Jesus being a god, so he didn't really suffer - the standard Christian doctrine is that Jesus was fully God and at the same time fully human. Christian beleive Jesus experienced this world just as we do, pain and all. One of the epistles points out how sympathetic he is towards us, having lived a human life also.

Thinking that a "god" can't suffer - many religions have a suffering god. It is not original to Christianity. It has a deep appeal to many, touches something in the human psche, or this motif would not be found around the world.

I think part of the emotional reaction to the film is that Christians respond to Jesus as someone they are emotionally close to. Everybody knows the blood & so forth was fake, these are all actors, ect, but for a Christian, the film evokes a very personal response.

This long enough, I better quit.

Exactly. Well said. smile

2. Beelzedad profile image57

Interesting. Cyril of Alexandria's second letter to Nestorius in 429 AD affirmed that god cannot suffer in his divine nature, but rather he took a body in able to experience the suffering of man and show this suffering to all.

In a similar way we say that he [Christ] suffered and rose again, not that the Word of God suffered blows or piercing with nails or any other wounds in his own nature (for the divine, being without a body, is incapable of suffering); but because the body which became his own suffered these things, he is said to have suffered them for us. For he was without suffering (apathes), while his body suffered. Something similar is true of his dying. For by nature the Word of God is of itself immortal and incorruptible and life and life-giving, but since on the other hand, his own body, by God's grace, as the apostle says (Heb. 2:9) tasted death for all, the Word is said to have suffered death for us, not as if he himself had experienced death as far as his own nature was concerned (it would be sheer lunacy to say or to think that), but because as I have just said, his flesh tasted death. So too, when his flesh was raised to life, we refer to this again as his resurrection, not as though he had fallen into corruption--God forbid--but because his body had been raised again.

Thanks for that quote. Cyril is quite a thinker.

What is really interesting about Cyril's letter is that it is one of the best arguments Christians have in regards to explaining the Resurrection, but they never use it. smile

11. christiansister profile image61
    christiansisterposted 13 years ago

It left me feeling disgusted that people are so ugly sad

12. Ron Montgomery profile image61
    Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years ago

The light side of life song, makes me feel closer to feeling warm and fuzzy than the Passion of Christ film for a secure salvation feeling.

13. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

I saw the shorts, read the hype and gave it a miss as an ego trip for the little loon who made it. smile

1. profile image0
      BunuBobuposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I couldn't have said it better, however I was forced to watch it with my Sunday School. It was horrific as a child.

14. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

When I watched Passion of the Christ I couldn't help but cry.  Not because Jesus is my savior, and not because He was so obviously not guilty.  No, I cried because 2011 years later, its apparent that people have not learned the lessons of the Bible because so many people still behave the same now as they did then.

During Jesus period time, people only lived to their mid 20s, Jesus was an old man at age 33, pass his prime, what else has he to live for, today's people's average age is 80.

To compare people from biblical hardships to today’s people of much higher consciences and opportunities is no contest.

1. Rafini profile image82
        Rafiniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Who's talking hardships? 

People still have the potential to do good or bad yet even with all the knowledge in today's world there are still too many who choose the bad over the good.  That's what I'm talking about.

(why would I cry over length of lifespan?  that doesn't even make sense!)

Check out  my new thread, and tell me how religion is better for all of us than non religious people.

15. jay_kumar_07 profile image61
    jay_kumar_07posted 13 years ago

Iam very much happy on one thing that is things are automatically done as per GODs desire.If god is willing to give nobody will stop.If god is not willing nobody will give.

In the film people are torturing JESUS . But JESUS prayed for the people. Because he knows that nobody can stop his blood bleeding from his body.

Blood bleeding starts from garden prayer.No need to torture.Then why the CALVARY walk .
    Because the body of JESUS should be above the earth[ written one in BIBLE]

It's good to see you again jay

If God made man in his own image, why do I always seek more happiness and less suffering?

Being nailed to a cross and the concept of hell is far greater suffering than anything I can imagine ever wanting to experience and they say being nailed to a cross is the greatest gift to God.

I think all you have in life is what you give away, like love or peace, in order to get love; you give love and so on....

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)