Wicca

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (28 posts)
  1. jdeschene profile image60
    jdescheneposted 15 years ago

I'm curious to know what books Wiccans would recommend to someone who wanted to know more.  Right now I'm reading Scott Cunningham's "Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner."  Please share your thoughts.

Also, feel free to let me know what to stay away from.

Finally, I feel I have to say this: if you're just going to reply with arrogance and hatred toward Wiccans, please don't waste my time or yours.

Thanks.

1. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I think books on alchemy would interest you.  smile

2. aka-dj profile image66
      aka-djposted 15 years agoin reply to this

OK I won't. cool
      Not because of arrogance or hatred towards you as a person (be you Wiccan or anything else). But simply because any posts from "believers" is automatically interpreted as such. Just be sure you get all the facts before you read and believe too far. Some stuff is dangerous.

1. Nickny79 profile image68
        Nickny79posted 15 years agoin reply to this

There you have it--speak your mind, man!  Don't be cowed by the polloi.

1. aka-dj profile image66

Nah. Been there, done that. Got shouted down. Not that it bothers me, but I hate being categorized as a "christian", meaning the "christian religion". I think you know what I mean.

3. Lostrooftops30 profile image59
      Lostrooftops30posted 14 years agoin reply to this

One that I loved and learned a lot from is To ride a Silver Broomstick by Silver Ravenwolf. It's basically wiccan for the new generation. She also writes a lot of other books that take Wicca even farther if you wind up liking it.

2. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 15 years ago

Wicca is usually described as neopagainism. Have to be careful because the christian religion has demonized paganism
    for centuries so it has a bad rep. Actually today hardly a body knows what it is. The link below is my opinion.
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Paganism__A_Logical_Analysis

3. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 15 years ago

Just remembered: 'Mutant Message Down Under'
    By Marlo Morgan is about walking the deserts in Australia with
    Aborigines, and how they survive by nature and spirit.

4. WICKEDSAPPHIRE profile image59
    WICKEDSAPPHIREposted 15 years ago

WELL ABOUT WICCA AND ANY INFORMATION YOU CAN READ. I SUGGEST A BOOK CALLED LIVING WICCA BY SCOTT CUNNINGHAM IS HAS ALOT OF WICCAN BOOKS OUT I ALSO HIGHLY SUGGEST ANY BOOK BY RAYMOND BUCKLAND....HE HAS SEVERAL TITLES LIKE ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT WICCA AND  ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT WITCHCRAFT.  SO THERE ARE A FEW. THERE IS A BOOK SITE THAT HAS SO MANY OF THESE TYPES OF BOOK AND AT A REASONABLE PRICE..ITS CALLED POWELLSBOOKS.COM

I HOPE THIS HELPED YOU OUT...BLESSED BE SISTER

5. Nickny79 profile image68
    Nickny79posted 15 years ago

Scott Cunningham is one of the known authorities of Wicca.  If you have an inclination toward the Black Arts, I highly suggest you read Modern Magick by D.M. Craig and Sane Occultism by Dion Fortune.  Dion Fortune is one of my favorite writers on Esoterica.  But before you get involved with the paraphenialia and regalia of either Wicca or Ceremonial Magick, I suggest you read Napoleon Hill's Think and Grow Rich and the works of Ophiel.  Ophiel especially simplies everything for the beginner.  That being said, you can scarcely learn how to practice Wicca from a book any more than you can learn to practice, if I may, Law from a book (sometimes I wonder which of the two is the worse Black Magic).  You need to find an actual practitioner, which will likely be found at any occult supply store.   Lastly, all of this stuff is bad and you will go to hell or get possessed if you pursue it any further--don't tell me I didn't warn you...

1. Make  Money profile image67
      Make Moneyposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Does Napoleon Hill's Think and Grow Rich have to do with wicca or the occult too?

2. gracieblu profile image59
      graciebluposted 15 years agoin reply to this

didnt the orginal poster ask for no negativity!  whatever someone wishes to practice or follow is for them to chose and for noone else to determine that person's fate. it is up to the higher power whomever that person chooses that to be. besides in this country there is a thing called "freedom of religion". wicca, witchcraft, pagans whatever path you chose is not evil and are not satanists or devilworshippers or followers of the dark arts(well some may choose to follow the dark path) again it is their choice.  and what is this book think and grow rich? beginner what? and while you cannot learn truly learn everything from a book reading does give you a headstart. i highly suggest scott cunningham's books. from there i also like silver ravenwolf's books. beyond that off the top of my head i cannot think of someone else.  and what is law from a book sometime i wonder which of the two is worse than black magic mean? and you can find other like minded people beyond an occult supply store...ie the net, friends etc...we are out there lol. and finally you wont go to hell or get possessed if you open your mind to new and possible ideas. and the dont tell me i didnt warn ya..like anyone would come back to you? wow are we heading back into the dark ages again? it sure sounds like it...i mean with the economy dumping down, and companies and banks all joining as one company one day its going to be one company owning everything from utilites to banks, etc  and it will be like dark ages all over again oh and lest i forget religion too lol  mm and bb all, gracie

6. gamergirl profile image86
    gamergirlposted 15 years ago

Nickny79,

You were doing alright up until that last part.  That kind of commentary is not in the spirit of the forum and I'd appreciate it if you would refrain from such things in the future.

As to the topic of the thread-

The advice I got when I was younger was to read every book I could on the subject of Wicca and Wicca's various subtypes.  Good, bad and in between, every book has it's gems and information.  Scott Cunningham, obviously, is a fantastic choice for reading.  Also among the authors whose work I enjoyed:

Raven Silverwolf
    Ellen Dugan
    Thea Sabin
    D.J. Conway
    Christopher Penczak

1. Nickny79 profile image68

I happen to value my freedom of expression--if you are offended by my commentary, I'd appreciate if you'd  refrain from reading it.  I think it was clear from the context that I spoke in jest. <Personal attack deleted.>

7. gamergirl profile image86

# Respect: Please maintain respect for other Hubbers, even if you don’t necessarily agree with them. Keep your language clean and don’t make personal attacks.
    # Be Helpful and Supportive: We’re all here to learn, so please be constructive when providing feedback.

Points from the forum rules.  I know very well you're literate, so please keep the rules of the forum in mind.  Furthermore, as I stated before, please be considerate of the spirit of the forum and refrain from making assumptions as to the destination of anyone's soul, in jest or not.

There has been too much of that on this forum and I'm not going to let it continue unchallenged any longer.

To whom art thou refferring?

2. Nickny79 profile image68
  8. gamergirl profile image86

All of us, at one time or another, aka-dj, but in this specific scenario, Nick.

9. aka-dj profile image66
    aka-djposted 15 years ago

Being civil, courteous and polite, is sometimes omitted by many, in the heat of the discussion. You may have picked that up from my own post a few cliks up.
    Lots of misunderstandings on hub pages discussions. sad

10. gamergirl profile image86

It's true, dj.  We have some very adamant atheists around here. LOL

Don't let them get to you, though.  Your faith is deeply personal, or should be, and neither you or I, Nick or Mark, or anyone on this earth has the right to tell you that the faith you hold is wrong.

That part does not bother me (really)!
      It's the being "classified" as religious that is the issue. My greatest battle is to NOT be religious, but to be real and live out my faith. If others are interested, I share, but do not force anything. But that's the kind of thing that gets me "tarred with the same brush", so to speak.

11. gamergirl profile image86

Nick:

You have expressed your opinions clearly, and they shone a negative light earlier, and shine a mocking negativity now. Wicca is not a Black Art, which is the negative connotation you used numerous times in your initial post, and is what drew me to the conclusion that you were not entirely constructive or sincere in your offering of advice, beyond your last statement.  As well, the last sentence of your initial post held no jest, no levity, no comedy.  It was not obvious that you were joking except wherein you made the side comment regarding your job.

I am not sure, other than moderately attempting to troll the forum, why you felt you had to "jest" in that fashion, however as you have expressed your negative opinion/"jest" the deed is done and I'll thank you not to "jest" like that in the future.

As it appears you are attempting to draw me into some sort of debate with you, know that your words will again be disregarded here in this thread, as they have been on others.

To those who come to this thread actually interested in discussing Wicca, I apologize for my part in derailing this thread, and am available to offer help or tips, answer questions or give advice via my profile or through this section of the forum at any time.  I hope you are not deterred by the negativity of some individuals, but rather continue to come here in pursuit of learning and in the spirit of constructive communication and knowledge.

12. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 15 years ago

OK...  I just want to point out that some of the above (look for it and sharpen your critical thinking/observation skills--I'm not going to name names) is what gives liberals a bad name.

I believe in the right of others to believe what they want.  I also believe all people have a right to express themselves with opinions that differ from mine.  I also actually enjoy arguing with these people--which may look to some as personal attacks, but perhaps they are not looking close enough--this might even represent a free market for ideas....

In short, I as a liberal I support the rights of all individuals to speak, be heard and not censored; and I reserve the right to disagree with them, reasonably and with all the weapons in my arsenal, including satire. 

If satire is not something very well understood, I suggest you start by reading A Modest Proposal.

An anecdote:  In Iowa City, IA (a very liberal place and wonderful university town, btw) a bunch of grade school teachers got together and decided they were going to ban kids from dressing up for Halloween in certain costumes.  No witches, no devils, etc., because they thought this might insult somebody or somebody's religion. For shame!  So, it was decided the kids could only dress up as literary figures--characters from books.  Does anybody see a conflict of interest or problem here?  LOL....  This made national headlines and I was laughing my head off.  Such a misinterpretation!  Not my brand of liberalism.

Rebuttal needed for the above (not my verbiage), please!  I have said my piece.  smile

13. Sufidreamer profile image80
    Sufidreamerposted 15 years ago

I have a couple of Wiccan friends in the UK, but never found out as much as I should about their beliefs. I was more interested in the Druidic stuff, which is fascinating in itself.

All very nice people, and I had the fortune of attending a few ceremonies - very enlightening. One was the funeral of a good friend, and, whilst sad, was a beautiful occasion. sad

The advice given by Nick seems to be the best - find a practitioner, in the same way as with any other belief. For example, I learned more about Islam and Judaism by talking to people, than by reading books, although reading is always an honourable pastime. smile

14. profile image0
    pgrundyposted 15 years ago

Margot Adler, who is now a commentator on NPR and is the granddaughter (I think) of the great psychoanalyst, wrote a really good book on Neopaganism and paganism in which she distinguishes Wiccan Neopaganists--who kind of cobbled together a formal-ish religion they dubbed 'Wicca' at the turn of the 20th century--from people who just carry on traditions of practical magic within their own families and don't call it anything--don't even necessarily think of it as religion. It's a good book. I can't think of the name of it, but I think she got that part right.

Some Christians demonize Wicca because in the Bible there is lots of demonization of the religions of the non-Semitic peoples who came before the Semites of the Old Testament. These texts are of course incredibly old and the people who wrote them were not talking about Wiccans because Wicca didn't even exist. Wicca is pretty much a 20th century invention--not that that makes it bad, it's just very new as religions go.

Riane Eisler wrote a book on Goddess worship that's pretty interesting and gives a broad overview of non-patriarchal religions over the past 10,000 years or so.

I personally have been invited to Wiccan celebrations and groups on many occasions, and while I find there is always good food there (a very encouraging sign for a religion--if you get invited to a religion and all they have is jello salad and cupcakes you should leave), I never stay because I just can't do formal religion of any kind. It isn't right for me.

If I was going to be in a religion though, I would pick Buddhism or paganism.

Good luck. big_smile

15. Lisa_Ann profile image58
    Lisa_Annposted 14 years ago

Scott Cunningham is very good.  My sister has read all of his books & has always said his were the most informative.  Currently, I am reading Solitary Witch by Silver Raven Wolf which is packed full of information.  Also, if you're just starting out, I have been told To Ride a Silver Broomstick is very good.

16. Make  Money profile image67
    Make Moneyposted 14 years ago

I guess the only way to tell whether a witch is good or bad is by how much wormwood (artemisia) they have growing in their garden. smile

17. AEvans profile image71
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

I believe that each person is entitled to there own beliefs so all of us should get along. Let us not be judgemental or critcal this is why it comes back and bites us right in our batooties! smile

Ask on to the person who started this thread, gather your information and let nobody judge you and I am certain that you will not judge ours. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)