New Year, Fresh Start

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (18 posts)
  1. gamergirl profile image84
    gamergirlposted 16 years ago

I have a request, and it comes at the price of sounding as if I am approving of totalitarian censorship.  Since I started on Hubpages, I have frequently visited the forums in hopes of not only learning, but growing as a writer.  I have enjoyed lively conversation and seen the diverse personalities present on Hubpages, and these things make me smile.

However, there is a level of behavior I am seeing become more frequent which is not conducive to the "spirit of community" suggested numerous times throughout the posting process, forum rules, and general etiquette.  There are many threads derailed by snide remarks, off-topic ruffling of feathers, and a sense of growing animosity between different groups of individuals.

I realize that in a social environment these things are going to be fairly common, even used as a tactic to raise the popularity of the flamers.  These types of issues are a hindrance to the community's growth. 

Allow me to quote the rules, not for the administration of Hubpages, but for those who will undoubtedly read this topic and become agitated at the content of it:

* interact with each other in the spirit of cooperation and fun
        * ask for and respond to calls for help and assistance with publishing on HubPages
        * share advice and tips on how to create better Hubs and how to draw more visitors
        * come up with ideas to make HubPages work better for everyone
        * Discuss your favorite topics

The above quote is directly pulled from the forum rules, which we all agree to abide when we post on these forums which are not our own.  Catty, mean-spirited, insulting threads and posts are a direct violation of these rules.

My request, if it can be done, is this:

The individuals who are bickering constantly be temporarily suspended from the ability to use the forums.

OR

Insulting and overall negative posts or threads be removed.

Specifically addressing those who continue to fit the "flamer" shoes, I would like to ask that you all take your issues to private communications if you cannot show some respect toward the community in front of which you are airing your personal grievances.  Love who you will, dislike who you will, but if you must be at each other's throats, at least take it to a medium which is out of the public eye.

The fact that many times the statements are made that these posts are inappropriate has not seemed to phase the folks currently engrossed in the waves of negativity, I can only hope that my request is heard and appreciated for what it is, a cry for positive action and help.

2. profile image0
    helenathegreatposted 16 years ago

I agree with this wholeheartedly.  While I've found a great deal of helpful information on the forums (and my HubPages experience would be quite different for the worse without them), they seem to be more and more flamer-filled and angry as each day passes.

Or maybe the creators of HubPages should just add another forum where people can freely be angry at one another?  wink

Not saying that we should just "all get along."  Not only is that impossible; it's incredibly boring.  It's just daunting to have to weed through all of the bad stuff to get to the little nuggets of information.  Sure, there are posters that really annoy me, but I just ignore them so as not to waste my time.

gamergirlposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I think the idea of a forum section specifically devoted to flaming would be nice, as long as the posts there don't show up on the "recent posts" option.  That, or I could just make a proboard forum for people on Hubpages, or anywhere for that matter, to flame each other to their heart's content. 

I agree, though.  It would be far beyond the scope of reason to say everyone is going to get along, I'm just saying that there is too much disagreement taken to an insulting and defaming level for some action not to be taken.

As always, I want to see Hubpages and all of it's Hubbers improve and grow.  Everyone should feel welcome to share thoughts and post in a constructive manner.

3. SunSeven profile image61
    SunSevenposted 16 years ago

We all might need a barking tree, perhaps! smile
    Best Regards

4. MM Del Rosario profile image86
    MM Del Rosarioposted 16 years ago

Totally agree with gamegirl and helena.
    I always check the forum for information, updates and friendly advice --but recently i don't enjoy reading the post anymore.

5. Mark Knowles profile image58
    Mark Knowlesposted 16 years ago

We are bound to have some personality clashes. Especially with what has been happening recently, but I think it will sort itself out. I have clashed with a couple of people, but we have since become friends and help each other now. I wouldn't get too upset about it - or try and control it. It's normal.
    You can't write a rule for every situation.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Personality clashes are inevitable, but I agree, the important thing is to put them aside and interact courteously.  Even if you dislike someone, I don't think it's appropriate to use the forums to take cheap shots or make sarcastic remarks about them.  It only causes unpleasantness for everyone else - not to mention killing whatever thread it is. 

If you look back through the threads, you'll see I've made strenuous efforts not to rise to snide remarks, but the other day I did snap and bite back, for which I apologise to everyone.

6. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

I would join Mark on this issue. That's life, we need to get used to it. Conflicts are necessary for development. While I don't normally enjoy catfights here, I do realize that any attempt to sterilize life inevitably fails, one way or another.

On a side note, vast majority of people here are mature enough to handle conflicts without reserving to outright billingsgate, which makes catfights here much more bearable than on some forums dominated by teens. And sometimes even enjoyable tongue

7. profile image0
    Iðunnposted 16 years ago

Gamergirl - easy method.  just interact with the happy positive people you enjoy and avoid the rest.  In this community, it's easily done because you can moderate your comments. smile

We cannot control the behavior of others, but we can control what we allow in our personal space, particularly in this setting.

Hub and have fun and surround yourself with those you enjoy who do the same~

8. Guru-C profile image75
    Guru-Cposted 16 years ago

i once posted my opinion in someone's comments section and found myself flamed in the forum.  I engaged in some back and forth until i decided to put no more of my energy into that.  It hasn't been the same for me since... but what can you do?  for me, the first amendment (the clause in the United States Constitution that guarantees freedom of expression) is one of life's great gifts. 

yes, some forums on other sites have separate threads for issues and complaints.  As Martha S. would say, "It's a good thing."

9. profile image0
    Iðunnposted 16 years ago

Guru, I plan to generally avoid the forums.  I don't think they are constructive, other than specific help for Hub related info and problems.

If you want to catch my attention, best way will be through my or your Hubs. smile

I'm long bored with watching people cannibalize each other because they have too much time on their hands, power and control issues, or enjoy the 'drama'.  I don't find negativity entertaining.

gamergirlposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Your initial comment there is the reason I posted this thread.

I believe that if the forum rules were adhered to by each person who posts, the forums WOULD be more constructive.  If you look at the number of new people who have posted that they're turned off by the catty "cannibalism" the forums have adopted of late, it doesn't seem so bad.  What about the number of people who've seen the junk on the forums and haven't posted anything because they aren't even registered yet?

Before I signed up on the site, I peeked at all the options, pages, browsed various Hubs, -then- I signed up.  Who knows how many hundreds of people a day do the same thing, see the dramafest on the forums, and walk away with a bad impression of the site because of it?

I'm not asking for anything particularly difficult.  The forum rules already state an expectation for behavior.  This expectation has been failed by numerous individuals who continue to use the forums for negative purposes.  All I'm requesting is that we either get a little bit of a cleanup on Isle Hubpages, or that folks who have shown a track record of flaming be given a final warning or face consequences for spitting on the rules.

I know that adversity breeds strength, but I'm not here to become strong.  I'm here (on the forums) to socialize in a community environment.  In my community, if you're a jerk, you don't get invited to the good parties.

10. profile image0
    Iðunnposted 16 years ago

I agree.

We shouldn't have to pass a "stress test" of our character to simply make or read some Hubs. 

This aspect of Hubpages didn't exist at the time I left, so it wasn't a problem and no one from that time would have taken them into consideration on arrival.  Possibly what Paul should do is remove the personal sections of the Forums.  When I returned to Hubs and had a read here, I was shocked and disappointed at what I read, so I suspect you are correct that IF someone read this stuff first, it might put them off.

We can't make other people be nice, we can't make them follow rules, or practice common courtesy.  But feasibly Paul could remove this area for such negativity to exist.  That's what I would do.  It's not necessary for Hubs and probably not only unuseful but downright detrimental.

11. Stacie Naczelnik profile image70
    Stacie Naczelnikposted 16 years ago

I think I would be a bit more tolerant of the bashing if it were related to the topic of discussion.  I've been out of town and fairly away from the forums about a week now...coming back, I've seen some people just beginning character attacks without even responding to the topic of the thread.  I think this is inappropriate beyond words.  Do people really have nothing else to do all day but follow around a hubber they dislike and leave rude comments?

Gamergirl, glad to see you are back on the forums!  I hope your request gets nothing but positive feedback.

12. Paraglider profile image88
    Paragliderposted 16 years ago

I think it's almost inevitable that one-to-one arguments will flare up from time to time. What I find particularly irritating is when 3rd parties join in and take sides. This is immature and inflammatory.  Hey, even in the school playground we knew better than to do that.

So, here's my realistic take on Gamergirl's idealistic plea wink

If you see a punch-up, walk on by . . .

(It's also called leading by example)

13. gamergirl profile image84
    gamergirlposted 16 years ago

Thank you Stacie, and I think you're absolutely right. 

It's good to be back on the forums, and every on-topic thread I see where the forum rules are followed makes me happier and happier in regard to the site as a whole.

I'm hoping that the elevated level of negativity can be attributed to holiday PTSD or something akin to it, and not that some of the site's most popular Hubbers are just nasty.

I would also like to note that I will patiently await a response from an admin-y type, and if/when an answer comes, I appreciate it!

Happy hubbing, all!

14. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
    pauldeedsposted 16 years ago

gamergirl -- we at HubPages agree with the sentiment of your post, thank you for making it, and would implore people to just take the high road and ignore posts that smack of personal vendetta or petty bickering.  It takes at least two to engage, and all parties that participate are equally culpable in our eyes.  There is, of course, nothing wrong with healthy disagreement or debate on matters of substance.

15. profile image0
    ang3lzposted 16 years ago

Yes...a LOT of what I have read is useless...rather to read something helpful than to see so many people not agreeing on stuff.  shouldn't we all help one another?  We are all trying to accomplish being a writer so let's start the new year off by giving more tips to help each other. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)