I could learn from the bible, nothing useful though

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (142 posts)
  1. mischeviousme profile image60
    mischeviousmeposted 12 years ago

I used to be a christian, used to as in past tense. I went to church religiously and was entranced by the bible, but nothing I learned was realistic. I decided then, to unlearn all of it. I found thgat there was a gulf between rationality and intellect, one being fabricated by the body of the church. Why should I believe in something that is continually propegated on 1500 year old lies? There is no true evidence to back any of it up and very little factual material, this not to mention conflicting gospels. Hell, even genesis has 2 different chapters that totally differ in content. So why should I be nice and continue to let the lie flourish?

1. profile image0
      jonnycomelatelyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Bingo! Mcm. 

I still have a desire to believe in something, but so much of what is presented to me for consideration is bound up in thrown-out newspaper, fit only for the compost heap.

mischeviousmeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

A paper machet God, is no God that I know.

1. Castlepaloma profile image76
          Castlepalomaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I ask one christian about reincarnation ,  I would like to be reincarnation an ancient  3000 year old tree.
          He said I would cut down that tree and reincarnation into bibles

Some how, I think dragon bones got reincarnated into dinosaur bones in the last 150 years

2. gregas profile image81
        gregasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The most important thing is to believe in YOURSELF. Greg

2. AEvans profile image71
      AEvansposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Judas and Peter turned their backs on Jesus too. It is okay to be angry with God or  question, but the Bible is not filled with lies. Yes there are contradictions but it is up to us to determine the truth. There are so many miracles that have happened to me and there are things that have happened, where I felt like Job. I couldn't imagine life without my Lord and Savior. I am sorry you feel that way and I pray that you will overcome and will walk again with him. Remember the Bible is only a tool to guide us, not a book for anyone to change.

I will not judge you nor anyone for how they feel, their thoughts or their actions, I can only pray for those who are in pain or feel that way. It is not my place to preach to you and God gives all of us 'Free Will' only God knows where your heart is and what has to be done.

1. wilderness profile image94
        wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

There are contradictions but no lies??  How does that work?

If two parts of the bible contradict each other, then at least one is false.  Given that the bible was written under God's direction then any falsehood is a lie.  At least one of contradictory passages must be a lie.

Of do you mean by "determine the truth" to change the meaning so that it is no longer a lie?

1. AEvans profile image71

• CONTRADICTION (noun)
            The noun CONTRADICTION has 3 senses:
          1. opposition between two conflicting forces or ideas
          2. (logic) a statement that is necessarily false
          3. the speech act of contradicting someone
            Familiarity information: CONTRADICTION used as a noun is uncommon.

What I am saying is, " If you believe you have to determine its meaning." To often people take it completely out of context and it has a purpose if you believe." Its a tool to live life, embrace others and not be judgmental.

Scientists are stumped by some of there findings when it has came to the Bible. I know 'Jesus Loves Me' and I know that I love others that is all that matters.

1. wilderness profile image94
            wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I believe I understand you.  Thanks for the explanation.

2. Jean Bakula profile image91
        Jean Bakulaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The book was changed so many times it's laughable. The Gnostic gospels which are more truthful were stuck in a cave for years. Who knows what the Vatican is hiding, besides piles of money. Even the Jews see the Bible as Myth. If 5 rabbis read a midrash, they should have 5 interpretations. Take from it what you will. But don't blindly believe words that were written as myths. You wouldn't even be allowed to speak in church if you listened to the Bible, according to St.Paul! He didn't want people to have sex, only condoned marriage and made it a forever thing you were stuck in with no recourse, no matter how miserable it got. So it made marriage and sex a punishment. You think this is good and healthy? Believe, but use your intelligence. Think about what you are reading. Most Priests and ministers realize nobody believes this stuff is real, and that was about 100 years ago.

I do use my intellect. You believe what you choose to believe and I will believe what I believe. I do believe Jesus was not a Myth and Noah's Ark was real. I believe God told Moses to write the Ten Commandments. I believe the plagues came and I believe Jesus healed the sick. I also know that the Bible has been re-written multiple times and often many take it literally. I do not take all of it literally but use it as a tool for guidance. I believe in miracles and in my life, I have seen them happen. It is okay to be a Christian and believe, just like it is okay to be a non-Christian and not believe. That is what makes the World go round and nobody ever wins in this discussion just like politics.

1. A Troubled Man profile image56
            A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, but that is not the use of ones intellect by any stretch of the imagination.

In·tel·lect/ˈintlˌekt/
              Noun:   
              The faculty of reasoning and understanding objectively, esp. with regard to abstract or academic matters.
              The understanding or mental powers of a particular person: "her education, intellect and talent".

I understand you and you also need to understand me. I am using my intellect. It is not about swaying a person to the other side, which I have never tried to do.

Come to the darkside, we have cookies...

1. Shiningstar4u2c profile image60
                  Shiningstar4u2cposted 12 years agoin reply to this

LOL! I do love that saying and that commercial! It is quite funny.

2. A Troubled Man profile image56

No, you're not, because there is no reasoning or objective understanding with your beliefs, they are neither abstract or academic.

You are trying to argue your belief so you have your beliefs and I have mine. You do not believe and I do, there is nothing wrong with that. No matter what you try, you cannot get my dander up on this one. But thanks so much for trying. (((Big Hugs)) smile

Wow , you get a hugs for that's that very nice

I have no beliefs, sorry.

Yes, there is something wrong with that. Societies and mankind have paid a heavy price, mostly in bloodshed and atrocities committed in order for you to believe.

2. Joy56 profile image67
            Joy56posted 12 years agoin reply to this

so nice to see you stand up for what you believe in, you should not have to make excuses for believing well done you.

3. Jean Bakula profile image91

AEvans,
            I perhaps misstated myself. I do not believe Jesus was a myth. I believe he lived, and had a very bold statement to make in his time. Until Jesus appeared, nobody would have suggested that love of each other was as important as it is. I believe the plagues came, but that there were natural reasons for their occurances. I have a neighbor born in Israel, and he says anyone can walk across the Red Sea at low tide, just like one can do in Nova Scotia. He wasn't lying to me.  I think much of what Jesus said has been misunderstood, but also think much of what he had to say is a great tool for guidance, and I believe in miracles too. I just dislike these discussions where people rewrite pages of scriptures to prove their points, and it's usually the same people. I agree to each their own, everyone has to choose what to believe. As long as you've thought about it yourself, and considered it seriously in your own mind. Many just stay with the religion they were brought up in, know nothing about its doctrines, and go around calling themselves believers in that faith. I did not mean to suggest that you are one of them. Sometimes these forums cause one to seem to be speaking to the wrong person.

2. MickeySr profile image80
          MickeySrposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Jean Bakula ~ ":blindly believe" or reject any consideration of the text's validity are not the only two options -  there are many believers who own and practice a thoughtful, critical, informed confidence in the validity of the text of Scripture. The great deception of our post-modern culture is that Christians and non-Christians can be divided along intellectual capacity lines . . . many today are seduced by the false notion that it's this simple, if you're smart you know this Bible stuff is silliness and if you actually believe the Bible then it can only be because you're not smart enough and bold enough and emotionally sound enough to escape the superstitious fairy tales of your youth. The reality is that there are many brilliant, educated, levelheaded people who have fully escaped the sway of their culture and believe the Bible to be the revealed word of the one true God.

This forum introduces this subject talking about trusting evidence rather than just accepting whatever you're told -  Jean, your commonly believed charge that "The book was changed so many times" is simply demonstrably not supported by the evidence and the claim that "The Gnostic gospels . . . are more truthful" is a popular notion today but, again,  is not supportable from the evidence.

And the oft heard accusation that the Bible contradicts itself comes from a poor reading of the text. Think about it; you can find passages in "Gone With The Wind" where Rhett Butler assures Scarlett O'Hara of his love - you can also find passages where he tells her bluntly that he doesn't "give a damn' what happens to her . . . it's a book, it is a whole made-up of a great many parts, a story unfolds. There is no seeming contradiction in the Bible that is not understandable when the book, the story, is taken as a whole.

I am not including this link to promote my own hub, but offering it because it very directly addresses this very issue - with factual evidence ~

http://mickeysr.hubpages.com/hub/Regula … -The-Bible

3. Shiningstar4u2c profile image60

AEvans, I agree! What see as a contradiction is not a contradiction at all, they just have not learned the truth of the matter. I have found the Bible AKJV to be explicit and powerful and amazing in its revelation of God to me and to the many who have harnessed its ability to greatly enhance their lives richly and they have as I have found God within its glorious pages. It is not for everyone, though it is available to everyone, but God knew who would believe and who would not and He "predestinated" those people accordingly.

Baloney.

See, you have nothing but a book written by men. That isn't truth, it's deception.

I like "baloney" so thank you. Listen it is a book that has totally been wrongly interpreted by millions of people. Misinterpreted, misconstrued, wrongly taught from and on and on. See it is a book ordained by God and a Book written from the inspiration of God! it is the center piece of all of Christendom, this book is so loved that it would cause Jews and Gentiles alike to gladly give their very lives with smiles on their faces for what this book contains and what they found in its pages! What is it that makes you say, "Baloney" and another one give his life to be burned at the stake for it, to shed his own blood for it, to be ridiculed and mocked and made fun of and beaten and to live destitute and in despair and risk jail and death and beatings right now around the world for this book and the Eternal God they have found within its pages? See what a mockery you are, when this book is here today because great mighty and precious and honorable men and women have given their very lives in sacrifice for its continuance, yet you, simply because you do not believe belittle such a holy godly book, that its value has been paid for with lives and blood of holy people and a Holy God! beware oh troubled man, God thinks this book he has sent to be most precious and if you dare continue to anger Him, Sudden destruction will come upon you and will trouble you whole household. I warn you to not keep on with such mockery and to give it its due respect if for no other reason but that people have shed their own blood and given their very life for its contents. Give it respect for that if nothing else!

Thank you for admitting you have misinterpreted, misconstrued and are wrongly teaching it here.

No, it isn't, it is a book written by men.

That would be pure stupidity of their part to give away their lives for a book.

And, that is a good thing, how?

Again, pure stupidity on their part.

lol Your invisible, impotent God has no power, deal with it.

Those ridiculous beliefs do not deserve any respect whatsoever, especially since all they've caused is to make good people do stupid things, which you've most succinctly described.

I challenge you Spirit of Wickedness that my God is surely very powerful and more powerful than you could ever think! Do not belittle this God I serve, for he will cast you and that wicked Spirit that has ahold of you in a bad bad place! Do not dare challenge Him Satan or He will show Himself mighty and strong and rend the Heavens and Show You His Power but you will not like it! I challenge you Devil in the Name of Jesus Christ to dare continue your filthy vile unbelief.

lol lol My God's better than your's... It never gets old to those that know nothing else.

Your judgment will come and you will see. Satan is no God, He actually does not even exist, but to those who live in unbelief, but to all Christians He is long gone forever more. I will post no more on this forum. But I have warned you all to do not bring God directly into this forum or He will see your wickedness and bring judgment upon you. Watch your lives, it is already on its way to you. Good Bye

2. jacharless profile image74
                  jacharlessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

did you just pull the Elijah Card? lol that's funny.
                  "Call on your gods louder, pagan", Elijah said, "Maybe your god is in the toilet and cannot hear you.."

ps, wickedness is not to be challenged by faith, it is to be illuminated by faith so that darkness can become light as well. so that rabble seems like doctrinal regurgitation and has no power or place. Sorry.

3. A Troubled Man profile image56

So, now I'm wicked? Sorry, but your words are as impotent and pointless as those in the Bible that talk about God being powerful, He is not. He does nothing and can do nothing, so why bother believing that garbage?

More useless threats that do nothing but show how much hatred you have towards others who don't share those useless beliefs. Why not just live like Jesus would want you to live rather than causing conflict and ill will towards others?

And, there you have it, the Christian we never want to see, the Christian who spreads hatred, the Christian who does not abide by the words of Jesus, the Christian that makes others turn away from Christianity and embarrasses and shames those who would follow the words of Jesus.

Shiningstar4u2c has made a shining example of this thread and why it is important to think about. If you are a Christian and don't agree with Shiningstar4u2c, please say so and let them know how you feel about the way they are acting and how they are destroying your faith in Jesus.

That happened long ago, when a christian told me "Katrina stands for vengeance". He continued by saying that "the people New Orleans deserved it".

2. profile image0

Don't be too harsh on poor little Shiningstar4u2c folks.  He, or she, has at last found a subject to be expert in. 

Now, to define an "expert,"  -  x = the unknown quantity and a "spurt" is caused by a drip under pressure.

I am not trying to be unkind to you, Shiningstar4u2c, but if you can laugh with us, and see a reflection of your own attitudes, then that will be a great step forward for you.

3. Apostle Jack profile image60
      Apostle Jackposted 12 years agoin reply to this

@mischeviousme There are knowledge that you have not yet learn about the bible that would give you a complete understanding...your conclusion would be different,believe me.

You miss learning the SPIRITUALITY of the bible,therefore you only came away with only a part of what it is trying to tell you my friend. But the time have come that it shall be known to humankind. You ran away too soon.There is more to be learn than what is already here.

You grow as you know,and show as you go.

Very well said Apostle Jack. He can only judge what he seen and He has not seen the whole thing yet. There is a spiritual side that is extremely rich and powerful and upon discovering this, I have had angelic visitations, visions that came astoundly true, and God speak to me like I had never known before. praise God!

4. Shiningstar4u2c profile image60

Michevious - You was never a "Christian" and you cannot "Unlearn" anything. it would have been better for you to never have come to the Knowledge of God and then turn away, because now you know and when you know you are charged with wrongs and your own conscience will hand you over to God for rejecting His Word. it is like a Policeman and the Law, You will serve the Law one way or another, either in its protection and Graces or in its confines and prisons, but either way you and troubled man will serve Him. I choose His grace!

Unless you are me, do not speak for me. I could spout all sorts of scripture, I choose not to, it proves nothing and I choose to use only my own language, therefor my argument is mine, not a prefabricated, indoctrinated, washdown of a point of view. If I have a God, surely it's nowhere near as cruel and biased as your's.

2. BLACKANDGOLDJACK profile image72
    BLACKANDGOLDJACKposted 12 years ago

Larry (Castlepaloma), Curly (jonnycomelately), and Moe (mischieviousme), you three stooges should go make a new movie.

Yinz three make a black hole look bright and a rock sound smart.

Stick to football, you don't know your comedy

2. Castlepaloma profile image76

Stick to football, you don't know your comedy

We are non-violent resistance to tyranny

3. Paul Wingert profile image59
    Paul Wingertposted 12 years ago

Taking the Bible literally is rediculous. The Jews who wrote it never took it literally and neither does the Vatican - anymore. So if the people who wrote it (the Jews) only use the stories as simple teaching tools, and not literally, why would anyone else think differently?

1. Michele Travis profile image65
      Michele Travisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That is because the  Vatican has so much hidden, we could probably find many answers to all the questions people keep asking here.  Just my thoughts.

4. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

I'll be honest. I see great wisdom in the Bible.  To take it literally is to skim the surface, which is an unavoidable step if the message in the gospels is a part of your path to enlightenment. It's like kids singing 'Jesus loves me'. If that's all you do, memorize the words, that's all you know. You may be able to sing in tune, but once the music stops you are done. Because you never did anything but memorize a few words.

But, I also think that any who go out of their way to make fun of it are no more enlightened than the ones skimming the surface. They've simply memorized a different tune.

All are enlightened, though the dream of life blinds the seeker. We think by learning we gain answers, though none are true beyond the student.

1. profile image0
        Emile Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's a contradiction. You can't be both blind and enlightened. We all possess the same potential. Some choose different paths. Some choose no path at all, but that too is a valid path.The greatest tragedy is the time wasted belittling the paths of others.

Look, I didn't start picking until I was given a reasonable excuse. I've said that I walk both sides and I mean it. I don't have a religion but I do have a God, a deeply personal God. My God is no different from any other for all Gods/gods are the same, a persona of the mind. I don't hate anyone and I don't hate christianity, I just hate where it's going. It seems with every generation the tentions grow among the different beliefs, leaving in their wake a jaded populace, tiring of the hate it compounds.

1. Jean Bakula profile image91

Thank you for putting that in better words than I can. These forums are maddening, I am going to stop visiting them. I dislike being preached to all the time.

2. Shiningstar4u2c profile image60

Emile R - very well said. You get out of it what you put into it. The more I researched and spent countless hours in study of it and delved very deep into it and I have read it from Gen to Rev a number of times and every single time I get more enriched by it and more blessed by it and it feeds my soul and enlightens to greater heights every single time. I Love the Word of God!

And yet, no God, just a book written by men.

Listen, God is a Spirit and He became a Human Being and that Human Being ordained and inspired the Words written in that book. You cannot see God with your natural eyes. You can only see Him in the person of Jesus Christ. The Bible was written to reveal to you a way, a truth and a life so that you could find this God and begin to understand Him. I found God in that book and just because you have not WHO is to blame but YOU! Open your eyes, humble yourself, quit being so blind to it, stop fighting against it, and humble your heart and have faith and I guarantee you you will see and find God in that Book and you would find Him so beautiful and precious and Holy and loving and you would gladly give your life for that very book and God that you would find within its holy pages!

Then, everything you say about God is false.

No, you didn't. You found only words written by men and nothing else.

That would be the ultimate stupidity, to die for a book.

I found a God that does not exist to you. But He surely exist to me and He speaks to me daily. Makes you mad doesn't it? He speaks and shows Himself mighty for His people but you are all mad because He will not prove Himself to you. But He has others. Why you so mad for? is that it? he will show Himself to you as well if you will cease to fight Him.

The only thing that makes people mad are the lies being spread about God, lies like God speaking to people.

You will never stop fighting for your invisible God, and if He actually spoke to you, He would tell you to stop fighting and live your life without the garbage and nonsense you are currently spewing here. What you hear in your head are your own words, not His. YOU are the one who is fighting for nothing and turning Christianity into a mockery.

5. mischeviousme profile image60

Why not just embrace others, you don't need a bible for that. If however you are looking into the age of reason, then religion is good for historic purposes.

Good Question mischeviousme

One thing, I am switching much more of my time from the religious forum to the art forum to start with. Lately I've work out my time priority for the last few weeks and was thinking I am too curious about the unknowns and not getting enough healthy reasoning behind religious thoughts processes. Good for a few laughs yet deeper belly laughs come from things where everything has a reason. That absence of reason is the ultimate reason for evil.

I thank the Religion Philosophy for teaching me a few things, yet time to move on to bigger and better time spent

6. Diane Inside profile image73
    Diane Insideposted 12 years ago

Nothing useful........

I too no longer attend church, but I think there are a number of useful things one could learn from the bible believer or not.

The ten commandments.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Love thy neighbor as thyself.

etc, ect, ect,.....

7. mischeviousme profile image60

in·doc·tri·na·tion
      [in-dok-truh-ney-shuhn] Show IPA

noun
    the act of indoctrinating,  or teaching or inculcating a doctrine, principle, or ideology, especially one with a specific point of view: religious indoctrination.

In other words, the cramming down the throat of another, the personal point of view of one's ideology. The teaching of principals accepted by a group, upon an individual, in hopes of creating a blind follower, unable from then on to think originally.

8. mischeviousme profile image60

Impasse means tie. You cannot have an impasse, unless you are vying for the same goal. It's not an impasse, it's a separate point of view; a disagreement on a personal level.

1. jacharless profile image74

well then it is an impasse, a tie, equal balance between pro-con relationship, regarding belief-disbelief, yes?

each has equal grievance and right, on a personal level of which neither seems to be budging, in either direction. Yup, I'd call that an impasse. Thanks for the back up!

2 opposing views does not make for an impasse, for one you would have to be equal and see eachother as equals. Niether side is equal, on either side... one will always be considered lower to the other, until both are seen as equal on both sides, it's still a war of one-upmanship.

True, if one is among either group. Then yes, it cannot be impasse.
          As an outsider, of either, I see them as equals.

To them it is still a war, to us it's an insanity propagated by bias and selfish (presumably selfless), endevour.

9. jacharless profile image74
    jacharlessposted 12 years ago

So that includes all science too and every other literary work in human history -less cave drawings(?) -as all books are written by man.
    else, that is 'selectivity' or bias...
    Just an observation.

One is an observation of point of view, the other an observation of reality. While both hold equal presidence, they are still only valid to the individual observer.

Jesus said to you and I and those of His day, "According to your faith, so be it unto you", and the Bible says, God will "feed you the fruit of your own thoughts". The Bible says also, that"Even the Devil believes and TREMBLES", even the Devil believes there is a God and believes in the Word of God because He quoted it to Jesus Christ Himself! See you can believe a lie and be damned for all eternity! or you can believe in truth and receive eternal life. God knows who will believe and who will not and that alone should scare anyone who fights against God and His Word, because that may be an good indication that God is sending you strong delusions so that YOU will believe this lie about the Bible and God so that YOU will be damned. God Have mercy on all of you who do such foolishness!

Mercy on you for the damning of others... If God so loved the world, there would be no religion in which to hold over another. There are no lofty heights, as those of pious. You can believe you are made better, yet you would eat, sleep and die the same.

:spot on:

2. Shiningstar4u2c profile image60

God is the one who sends the delusion and it is YOUR own faith that condemns you to eternal damnation. I am not responsible for your soul, you are and if you choose to not believe then so be it, you will be rewarded accordingly.

And you believe your reward is better? The reward for life is death, there is but one journey and you're on it, it differs not from person to person, only by point of view. This a short road, the journey from birth to death and you have only your eyes to observe it.

It is not my reward, it is Gods. I received it, Eternal Life, because I lifted up my faith in what Christ did for me. plain and simple.

Eternal life would get boring. Why not mix it up with a splash of death? The reward you seek will only lead to disapointment, for an eternity is a staggeringly long time. You would do everything, then what? Sit up on your golden pedestal and wish you never had an eternity...

First there is no such thing as Time in Eternity! Time does not exist in that Eternal World. Satan has been able to transform a Whole Planet from caveman days to the world we have now, so can you imagine what He would be doing for the future? God began all existence and has been doing something brand new for billions of years and will be doing something new in the eons to come, God never runs out. Your finite unbelieving mind is boxed in by your own statements. Gods mind is ever brand new and creating new things always. Look at all the myriads of life He has made that man has yet to begin to understand.

2. jacharless profile image74

Interjecting here.
                  I have often wondered and indirectly asked people if this is actually true:
                  Have you, in fact, lifted up faith or in fact lifted up ego -which looks a lot like faith, but with no substantial root, except the euphoria of feeling like you did, through melody and name evoking...

[note: I am not attempting to cause you to question beliefs nor the application of them [ritual belief], just wondering how honest and forthright the statement is.]

James.

Let me change it for you. I said what I said for your own understanding sake. In all reality, Jesus came to me and placed eternal life within my heart, I had nothing to do with it. I just know now what eternal life is, because I have it inside me now and I also know what death is where it came from and its end. So it is something He gave to me. I am so happy!!!!

That is what's wrong with Christianity, folks who believe they're just so much better than everyone else, but never actually live it or show it.

It's all about being able to claim the title, nevermind the particulars.

lol

It's true though... If I can claim I'm better, by title, then I can ellevate myself to such lofty heights and have license to judge others.

God did and does so "Loved" the World, but not this present world! Loved means He so loved that world of innocence that Adam and Eve was in and He gave His Life so that that World would return in the great Millennium. it is not this world He so loved, if so why is He going to burn it with Fire!

I see no observation, I only see dishonesty in that post.

Ah, so you are admitting bias(?). kudos to you.

No, I'm pointing out your dishonesty.

may i ask for a show-n-tell of my dishonesty(?)

10. Shiningstar4u2c profile image60
    Shiningstar4u2cposted 12 years ago

Romans 1:28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;

11. mischeviousme profile image60

http://youtu.be/iCCSp2nUpaY

Gotta watch the whole thing to see where I'm going with this. How real does one think that garbage realy is? Sorry if it's offensive, it's just comedy.

lol

Joe Rogan's pretty funny, but I was only really pointing out the part about Noah's ark. Even an 8yr old would see the flaw in that story.

I'm not that retarded,

You better say something mischeviousme, before some people wonder

12. profile image55
    SanXuaryposted 12 years ago

F. Y.

13. Loi-Renee profile image70
    Loi-Reneeposted 12 years ago

Even though you've turn your back on God He still loves you and is willing and able to forgive you for all that you have done.
    You say there is no God and that the Bible is a lie. If there is no God Where did you come from?
    How is it that you are alive? Your life did not come from man because man cannot create a living thing.
    I think you say the Bible is a lie because you want to be spoon fed. God did not intend for us to be robots who will do His whim. We all have a choice and the Bible is merely a guideline and a compilation of His teachings, laws, promises, and deeds.

I've turned my back on generic, mundane version of God. I don't find it necessary to worship the idea of God from the standpoint of another.

Millions of years of evolution.

Ever hear about the birds and the bees? lol

Yes, it has nothing to do with comparing reality with the Bible.

1. Loi-Renee profile image70
        Loi-Reneeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Say your belief in Evolution has some grounds. Where did it all start? How did it all start? Think about the very first stage of evolution (which I do not believe in by the way) and then tell me how that first thing came into being.
        Comparing reality to the Bible: My opinion is that it all depends on, well, opinion.

1. profile image0

Knowing how "it started" is not necessary.  It might be interesting and conversation-generating, ok.  But if you start with the world as it is for you Now, and simply open your eyes. There is ample sustenance to keep you going in awe and wonder.  The arguments will take up valuable, irreplaceable time and energy, to no avail.

For the millionth time, it is not a belief, it is an understanding.

You are asking a question that is not related to evolution, which means you don't know much about evolution, which means you are not being honest about saying you don't believe in it if you don't know anything about it.

Try learning something about evolution so you can actually comment on it. But, be very careful, you might actually wind up understanding it.

No, it depends entirely on reality, which NEVER offers opinions, only facts.

14. Loi-Renee profile image70
    Loi-Reneeposted 12 years ago

It is not the "idea" of God that is to be worshiped but God himself. No one can change who God is and God does not change. Worshiping God based on an idea of what He is instead of who He is, is almost the same as idolatry. You are not worshiping God but your own idea of what you want him to be.

And you do no different? Think about it... You think you know what God is. But do you realy or do you just have an idea?

1. Loi-Renee profile image70
        Loi-Reneeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The only way to know what/who God is is through the Bible. I try not to add or subtract from what he says about himself in it. I must admit that on occasions I do use my 'ideas' of who God is to define Him but that doesn't make it right.

1. profile image0

I beg to differ!  Via the Bible, blinkered, bolstered by the knowledge that others back you up, you will only get what your mind, accompanied by the workings of others' minds, interprets it to mean.

Use the bible as a reference and a set of guidelines.  Use it in helping yourself to look INSIDE of your own self, that very centre of your being, which is YOUR connection with YOUR god.  It's all very personal.  YOU can get a consciousness which is not available to any other being, because YOU ("I AM") are unique.

Having done that, with the help of biblical and other insights, you will find your kinship with every other being, of every hue.

There is no magical or easy "let someone else do it for me" path.  It's in your hands.  You have to do the work.  That image of Christ and/or God that you have will not help you.  It will only cloud your judgment.

15. mischeviousme profile image60

Sorry I've been gone all day, had to work... I've been gone for a good while. Still no different, I see. I was thinking on it, talking to my God (myself), and I had an epiphany. There's nothing wrong with telling people how it is, I just have to mindful of the fact that, they probably have ideas of their own. But I also know, that if it weren't for people that disagree, I would not know the strength of my resolve.

What you said is so true, so glad you had gotten an epiphany. smile But remember you are not God, there is only one. But I understand you too. smile

1 Corinthians 8:5–6 (NASB95)

5 For even if there are so-called gods whether in heaven or on earth, as indeed there are many gods and many lords,

6 yet for us there is but one God, the Father, from whom are all things and we exist for Him; and one Lord, Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, ...

If it's in the bible, it must be true. It says there are many gods, yet they are in lower case form... If the view was seen from another angle (an outside religion), would they not too see your's as a god?

Thank you for being so smile face all the time. You're very sweet.

In Corinthians they were talking about False idols as many Gods, but if you did not believe they would look at our God as an idol. But to a believer there is only one God and my God says to only worship him. He is the same God that sent Moses up the mountain to write The Ten Commandments. smile Nobody ever wins when talking religion, but it is nice when people can get along and place there own opinions. smile

16. schoolgirlforreal profile image77
    schoolgirlforrealposted 12 years ago

I like proverbs. Solomon was said to be very wise, asked for wisdom, not money pretty cool huh?

big_smile

That's how it should be... A good conversation, between 2 intelegent human beings.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)