jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (18 posts)

Does Mediation Make Them Self Centered?

1. jainismus profile image77
    jainismusposted 4 years ago

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/6645114.png
    I have observed that most of the people who practice meditation, have nothing to do with social problems. The question is,  does practicing meditation make them self centered?

1. Civil War Bob profile image59
      Civil War Bobposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Many meditation techniques are designed specifically to make the individual the center of the universe, so it makes sense they would not worry about others or, depending on the technique, anything else for that matter.
      The typo in your title works, too...mediators are usually in the center of things between warring parties, so they're somewhat self-centered while supposedly helping solve others' problems!

1. Recently Awakened profile image61
        Recently Awakenedposted 4 years ago in reply to this

smile

2. pennyofheaven profile image80
      pennyofheavenposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I thought that was the point?

3. Cagsil profile image60
      Cagsilposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Really? And, how did you reach this conclusion, aside from the "observation". The fact that you used the word "observation" seems as though you were trying to not use the word "perception", which is more like what your post resembles.
      No. It cannot make someone self centered. It helps self awareness within grow. That is not being self centered.

4. 60
      nonto21posted 4 years ago in reply to this

No. It is a way of taking stock. Once one is at peace and there is no stock to take, social institutions cease to be important. Not that they don't want friends or to socialize, there's just more to life than imaginary tales and confining social groups.

5. psycheskinner profile image81
      psycheskinnerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I have observed the reverse.  So I would not accept your starting assumption.

6. Jo_Goldsmith11 profile image61
      Jo_Goldsmith11posted 4 years ago in reply to this

I don't think when I meditate it does anything against social issues. When I meditate it is about opening my mind and clearing out all the noise. I don't consider myself and nor does my family consider me *self centered*. Meditation is opening ones mind to fix whatever it is that needs fixed.

It is a quiet and thoughtful and introspective time to place ones goals and priorities in the right place and perspective. smile  Good question! take care

2. rebekahELLE profile image91
    rebekahELLEposted 4 years ago

Meditation is used for different purposes, but I don't think it makes people anymore self centered than the person who is always complaining about their life, the world, their co-workers, etc. Meditation is a form of calming the mind and body.  I don't see that as self-centered. I see it as free health insurance in a very sick, stressed world. smile

3. prettydarkhorse profile image64
    prettydarkhorseposted 4 years ago

What...

if a person has peace within then it will add to world peace hehe

4. Kennedi Brown profile image95
    Kennedi Brownposted 4 years ago

When I used to meditate (on my own, though, no instructions from a book or something) before I started moving away from faith, I would basically lie in the floor and clear my head of absolutely everything; I'd just look at the swirly patterns my closed eyes made. It always made me feel relaxed and refreshed, but I don't really think I was doing it right. Especially with all the talk about techniques and chants.

Now that I look back on it, what I was doing might have just been called "napping."

1. Jewels profile image80
      Jewelsposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I used to do that as a teenager - watch those swirly patterns behind my closed eyes.  Decades later I'm teaching third eye meditation.  Makes me wonder - I think I was onto something and I didn't know it.

5. pennyofheaven profile image80
    pennyofheavenposted 4 years ago

But it does center ones self

1. Cagsil profile image60
      Cagsilposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Centering one's self isn't being self centered.

1. pennyofheaven profile image80

lol I realize that. Thanks for pointing it out.

6. Jewels profile image80
    Jewelsposted 4 years ago

How words and sentences are loaded with word gravity!!

In most religious teachings to be self centered goes against being spiritual.  But in the real context of being spiritual, one needs to come from the center of themselves.

If this forum post is intended to confuse or incite the misunderstanding of being centered then it will depend on the reader's maturity as to what the point of meditation is.

The ultimate goal of meditation is to find the Self (capital S) not to indulge the little ego.  And to find the Self requires the ability to be centered.  Confused?  Self (capital S) is the ability to hold oneself, void of ANY external influences including thoughts.

Being self centered (little ego interpretation) is not part of meditation practices.  If a transformation occurs through the difficult process of quietening the mind, 'whole-centeredness' is the result.

1. pennyofheaven profile image80

Nicely articulated!

7. scottcgruber profile image90
    scottcgruberposted 4 years ago

In an infinite universe, everyone is at the center.

working