The NBA lockout -- does anybody care?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (18 posts)
  1. I am DB Cooper profile image63
    I am DB Cooperposted 12 years ago

The NBA lockout has now started, and it threatens the 2011-2012 season, but does anybody care? It seems to be an afterthought on the sports pages, with the NFL lockout getting far more attention.

I know I won't care if the NBA doesn't have a season. I prefer watching college basketball anyway. The NFL, on the other hand, doesn't have a suitable substitute. College football is great, but the style of play is different (more running, especially from the QB position) and there's usually only 1 or 2 decent games each week, as the BCS contenders usually play about half their regular season schedule against scrubs they know they can beat up on.

Would anyone really miss the NBA if they don't play next season?

1. camaroon profile image61
      camaroonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I would miss the NBA but only the NBA playoffs those are always entertaining and the finals were great this last year.

2. wavegirl22 profile image49
    wavegirl22posted 12 years ago

nope  .. I have already gone into mourning not watching the NBA . .been quite a while since Madison Square Garden had a winning team and I am afraid it is going to be a lot longer than any lockout takes  . .Someday though I hope that the Garden comes alive again  . Though 2012 may be an option for New Yorkers to have a real team to root for .. it  might not be in the Garden but Brooklyn isnt too far away!

3. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

Nope! Don't watch Basketball. lol

4. profile image0
    Husky1970posted 12 years ago

I agree with the nope sentiment.  Too many overpaid, pampered athletes who need to wake up to the reality of our economic woes.  I only feel bad for the trickle down effect it might have on jobs for average Americans.

5. optimus grimlock profile image60
    optimus grimlockposted 12 years ago

Its crazy they had there biggest ratings in 10 years this year and they same thing that killed the sport is going to kill it again!!!

6. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

Lost interest in basketball with the 24 second clock.

1. drej2522 profile image68
      drej2522posted 12 years agoin reply to this

What? You're THAT much of a traditionalist? You'd rather see teams hold the ball for minutes upon minutes? No, no...the NBA knows their audience. People want action!

As for the lockout, I believe most fans don't give a crap about the players and owners money quarrels. For the most part, they are all making a heck a lot more money than the populace. However, I do think the NBA cannot afford a 2012 lockout/strike. The NBA finally has a great product and they are going to lose their fanbase.

7. LakeShow T profile image74
    LakeShow Tposted 12 years ago

As a die-hard NBA basketball fan, I am accepting the fact that there will be games missed in the 2011-2012 season, at a minimum; and perhaps it is more likely that the whole season will be washed out. It seems to be at that point. Commissioner Stern has already stated that he is "resigned" to the damage that this lockout is about to relinquish. This coming from a guy who always puts a positive spin on things for his product. At least half of the NBA owners would prefer to lose a whole NBA season rather than continuing a poor business venture. And the players are already making other plans for the upcoming season. All of this spells doom and gloom for the upcoming NBA season. For those reasons, I have accepted the fact there probably will not be a season and have saved myself from the disappointment that would come along with hoping for and looking forward to an upcoming season.

To me, college basketball is not, and will not, be a substitute. That game also went down the tubes in the mid 90's when all of the best players started foregoing CBB and going pro. The one-and-done rule has not helped at all for me either. College Basketball is watered down and just not enjoyable in my opinion.

Now, let's not try to start making comparisons from the NBA lockout to the NFL lockout. The NFL lockout is hardly that. The NFL will not miss any games. The players and owners are opposed on how to divide a $9 billion dollar league-wide revenue. Since everyone's making money, they're not going to put that in jeopardy. On the other hand, the NBA has it's owners fighting against owners, as well as owners against players trying to figure out how to make up for the hundreds of millions of dollars the NBA is losing each year. All of which is due in part to the luxurious contracts NBA players and salary cap exemptions that had been afforded NBA players and the thriving-larger market teams of the NBA.

8. slappywalker profile image92
    slappywalkerposted 12 years ago

I would miss it, but that's just because I love the game of basketball. I'm not a fan of the egos and excessive money that come with the professional side of the game, but I do love the sport of basketball.

I also love college basketball more, but there is a pretty big gap from when college basketball ends and the NBA Finals are done. I personally don't want to go through basketball withdrawals any sooner than I have to.

I'd say the NFL lockout gets more attention simply because it has been going on for longer, and their season is supposed to be starting soon. If the NBA lockout lasts as long, it will get plenty of headlines as their season approaches.

1. camaroon profile image61
      camaroonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Amen! I agree completely with everything you just said, i love basketball, and college players are shooting for the NBA so it's a good thing to have but the game is ruined by the ego's.

9. Hugh Williamson profile image77
    Hugh Williamsonposted 12 years ago

Professionals in sports, both owners and players, get rich off the fans. There should be enough money in it for everyone and the fans shouldn't have to miss games or whole seasons because of someone's greed.

None of the parties in the NBA & NFL disputes has any fear that the fans will abandon them. Maybe we should prove them wrong.

I like watching these sports but I can live without it. We all can.

10. ftclick profile image57
    ftclickposted 12 years ago

It got way out of hand. Non-superstar players making $100M + is not warranted. Stoudemire, Joe Johnson, Elton Brand, Rashard Lewis come to mind.
    No championships, No MVPs and $100M, & not even the best or 2nd best player on the team.  C'mon.   (Stoudemire has a case but not the others.)

I know other players in Futbol or Baseball make $100M but A-Rod and Cristiano Ronaldo are bona-fide superstars & have championships. NBA players need to make sure teams are not losing money.
    What happen to making tons on endorsements & commercials like tennis or golf stars? They may win the tournament and $6M but make $30M in endorsements annually.

But then why are owners accepting to pay it out? It is kind of like paying a web guy in Minnesota 100K when his location pr talent only warrants $40 to 50k. Only L.A. or NY can afford it. Now it sounds like Baseball, huh? Or city retirement corruption with pensions.

1. I am DB Cooper profile image63
      I am DB Cooperposted 12 years agoin reply to this

To be fair, A-Rod was already on his second 9-figure contract when he finally won his first championship.

NBA owners will pay it out because they are competing in a (mostly) free market. They've got to pay to stay competitive. Some of them will still make mistakes and pay way too much for an average player (example: New York Knicks, 2001-2011). Even if they wanted to work together to bring salaries down (through a "gentleman's agreement"), that would be collusion and it would get them in all sorts of legal trouble.

What's most interesting about this lockout is that there is a viable competing market for basketball talent. Some NBA players could make salaries close to what they are making in the NBA if they chose to go to Europe. Some players have already signed contracts with European teams with clauses that allow them to leave should the NBA lockout end. The last time I can remember one of the four major American sports being threatened by a competing league was in the 1980's with the USFL, and that threat to the NFL was ended due to mismanagement (here's a shocker: Donald Trump was involved) and a failed attempt to force the NFL to acquire the league. I don't think the European basketball leagues have any intention of extorting the NBA for money, but just like with the USFL many European owners do have the money to lure talent away.

1. ftclick profile image57
        ftclickposted 12 years agoin reply to this

But you can bet your sweet euros nobody will pay Rashard Lewis or Joe Johnson 100M over there. not even half that,  They may get  $50k to $100k / month.
        But yes, there is a market abroad to make money as always, look at the college players who can't make the NBA. Why not make $100k for a few months overseas and learn a language. NBA superstar players are down to I think $400k/month (or a week?) like Deron Williams. Not a bad gig in my eyes

11. shantyjoshan profile image61
    shantyjoshanposted 12 years ago

i do care though it is so very hard now for my knicks to win the title..

12. ocbill profile image52
    ocbillposted 12 years ago

Well, the 1st 2 weeks of the season look to be gone now.
    Players want 53%, owners are staunch on 50%. Who is the greedier party here? I say the players. expenses always increase to put on an event, staff, utilities, food, etc. A single NBA player should not cost more. There's a recession, wake up players. I will now not watch the 1st month IF it happens. I hope others boycott games too and voice your opinion.

13. thelyricwriter profile image81
    thelyricwriterposted 12 years ago

If basketball, baseball, or football don't start in time, I am lost.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)