jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (13 posts)

Who hates it when teenagers spend their pocket money on useless crap?

1. Miss M profile image61
    Miss Mposted 7 years ago

2. HealthCare Basics profile image83
    HealthCare Basicsposted 7 years ago

When my children were in grade school nearly 20 years ago 25 cents went a long way in terms of candy at the local store. Everyday I gave them a quarter to  buy whatever they wanted on their walk home after school. It was either candy or icecream and they would come home (two blocks) from school , sit on the front porch with friends, share candy, and laugh off any stress from school that day. So I don't think the pocket change was a bad idea....... smile

3. girly_girl09 profile image79
    girly_girl09posted 7 years ago

It's a good idea to give older children and teens money so they can learn healthy spending habits at a young age. I never really got spending money; I'd ask for something and it'd be purchased. Let them save their pocket money or allowance for something they really want. The real world isn't instantaneous and I got a rude awakening. Much rather would've learned this when I was younger!!!

4. soni2006 profile image47
    soni2006posted 7 years ago

Who hates it when teenagers spend their pocket money on useless crap?

Their parents of course.

1. Dottie1 profile image81
      Dottie1posted 7 years ago in reply to this

Good answer!

5. 0
    dennisemattposted 7 years ago

I give mykids an alloance, IF they earned it. We go shopping once aw eel, tehy bring their money,I tell them...its yours. You can do what you want with it, but your not getting more if you see soemthing else you want. I also tell them, thats 2 dollars, you worked all week for that,is it worth it? then,its up to them. obviouslly they someimtes buy usless crap, but better now and learn from it then when they are big and its for real. They usally do a pretty good job at saving.

6. Colebabie profile image60
    Colebabieposted 7 years ago

Um I had a job. I never really had an allowance before that. I used birthday money, or if it was really important my parents got it for me.

7. Dame Scribe profile image60
    Dame Scribeposted 7 years ago

I have taught my kids since they were small ...you want something ...EARN it ...now ..they split 50/50 for something but they know its a privelege, not a right. tongue how they spend their money is a learning lesson for them ...I jus smile @ them once they figured out if they wasted their $$ or not big_smile

8. Beth100 profile image83
    Beth100posted 7 years ago

I don't fight them on what they spend it on, as long as they honestly earned their wages.  I have house rules, and they must follow these rules with their purchases.  I haven't had any problems, plus they're learning the value of the dollar that they earned.  Purchases of cheap stuff is definitely dwindling... smile

9. yoshi97 profile image88
    yoshi97posted 7 years ago

Over the winter my son had a job and I watched him spend on many needless items ... and go broke.

Whether they earn it or not, they're gonna spend it on needless things ... of course, I chalk this up to the impulsiveness of children and young adults. If society says your life improves when you buy an XYZ watchamallit, then they want that XYZ watchamacallit. Only later do they understand the foolishness of their financial faux paus, and silently regret it, as the item dissolves to dust in your attic. smile

10. 0
    ralwusposted 7 years ago

I hate it worse when they spend MY money on worthless crap!

11. frogdropping profile image86
    frogdroppingposted 7 years ago

My kids spent their money as they pleased. Once it passed from my hands to theirs they could do what they liked with it.

I used to enjoy seeing how far and wide they could spread my hard-earned.

Though mostly it seemed to go on snacks.

Maybe I was a bad cook ...

12. 60
    Blackngoldbananaposted 7 years ago

Useless to whom?

It may be useless to you, but to them it is necessary or else they wouldn't want it.

Its all POV.