How do you teach a puppy not to bite?

A puppy has razor sharp teeth, as I am reminded when our puppy tries to eat my toes. It hurts! He is just playing and does not realize it hurts when he bites. I do not want my grands to be afraid of him and wondered how does one train a puppy not to bite? He has plenty of chew toys and bones.

agilitymach profile image98

Best Answer agilitymach says

Hello agilitymach, wow, thank you so much for all of the great information here! I will check out her page. That makes a lot of sense about no punishment. I appreciate you taking the time to answer!

bravewarrior profile image93

Shauna L Bowling (bravewarrior) says

Hi Sha, that is funny about the snapping of fingers because I did snap my fingers above his head and said "no!" and he sat down. LOL My husband liked the name Max, so that is what he is named.

luvtoowrite profile image59

Luvtoo Write (luvtoowrite) says

Hello luvtoowrite, Thank you so much for taking time to answer. Yes, I have heard about not allowing them to even play bite, as you indicate, it will develop into bad habits when grown. I appreciate the advice!

Jackie Lynnley profile image78

Jackie Lynnley says

• agilitymach profile image

agilitymach 3 years ago

Geeze Louise!!! NEVER slap a dog, even lightly. This creates the baggage of the dog becoming hand shy. If you reach for a dog and it ducks, chances are YOU'VE created a dog afraid of you by slapping, grabbing, or even hitting. NEVER do this.

Just Ask Susan profile image87

Susan Zutautas (Just Ask Susan) says

• agilitymach profile image

agilitymach 3 years ago

This is a good method for teaching the pup not to bite, too. This one may be easiest for your grandkids to implement.