jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)

What Breed Of Dog Is Right For Me If I Am In USA?

1. ngureco profile image83
    ngurecoposted 8 years ago

What Breed Of Dog Is Right For Me If I Am In USA?

2. Whitney05 profile image82
    Whitney05posted 8 years ago

It doesn't matter where you live, as long as the dog and it's overall temperament and characteristics fit into your lifestyle. IE if you don't have time for regular brushing and grooming, you don't want a long haird dog or dog that requires a lot of grooming, or if you don't have the ability to exercise a dog twice a day, then you'll want to consider a dog breed that doesn't require as much exercise.

3. rickyracer profile image61
    rickyracerposted 8 years ago

It depends, where in the USA, and what type of house you live in.  A larger breed, would need more area, than a smaller breed.  And if you have children or not, would be another deciding factor.  Yorkies are a good all around breed.  But so is a lab, if you'd want a larger dog.  It all really depends.  Blessings.

4. profile image57
    Calliope Jonesposted 8 years ago

Although it is true that your environment and style of living should play some part in your decision, I would say to everyone, for general purposes, to go with a mixed breed.

Mutts tend to be tough, healthy and friendly, where as pure-breeds tend to have more health problems, such as skin conditions, etc.

In my humble opinion,
    -Calliope Jones

5. bspilner profile image55
    bspilnerposted 8 years ago

There are so many variables...how big is your place? do you have a fenced in back yard? how active a lifestyle do you lead?  have you considered your living arrangements for at least 15 years?  have you worked in ALL the expenses associated with owning a dog?

With that being said, here's my simple answer-  If you have kids and a big fenced in back yard...I definitely recommend a Golden Retriever or a Labrador Retriever.  They're the two most popular dogs in the USA.  I recommend the Lab but that's just because mine is quite possibly the best dog in the world:)

6. LaurieD OKC profile image53
    LaurieD OKCposted 8 years ago

Know what your expectations are for a dog, while considering the environment in which the dog will live. Once you know what you are looking for in a companion you can research the various dog breeds that in general meet your expectations. Every breed has their own pros and cons, so be sure that you can live with the cons of the breed that you choose. While you can generally get a good reading of the characteristics of pure bred dogs, mixed breeds can make a very good match. Most of all, remember, no matter what people tell you about a certain breed of dog, every dog is different and the final outcome of the dog, will be based in part on your interaction and training of your chosen dog.

7. hospitalera profile image70
    hospitaleraposted 8 years ago

Look also at the climate you live in, a long haired dog will have more problems in a hot and humid climate whilst a small dog like a Chihuahua with its large body surface and short coat while have more problems in a very cold and harsh climate, SY

8. akirchner profile image97
    akirchnerposted 8 years ago

The most important thing to consider in bringing a dog into your life is what your lifestyle is and then doing the research.  How much time you spend with the dog each day is vital to it being a successful experience. If you are thinking of getting a puppy, they require a tremendous amount of time, effort, and consistency and for people who are away most of the day, that would not be a "good fit".  It is also most important to do your homework/research on any breed that you would think you might be interested in owning because much of the success with a dog is having it in an environment that is appropriate to that particular breed.  For instance, I have 2 malamutes.  If I lived in an apartment and I worked away from home in an office for 8 hours per day plus commute time, it would be a failure from the beginning.  You have to figure in your time, your personal commitment to training the dog and making sure it has proper exercise, diet, etc. and then go from there.  All dogs are not created equal and while one breed might be perfect in the above scenario, many breeds would not do well. For the malamutes, working at home, constant socialization with people and each other, and regularly scheduled exercise for them fits the bill.

9. Place Kick profile image54
    Place Kickposted 8 years ago

I'm a boxer lover and think they're the all around dog, they are a large breed but think they're small because they want to sit in your lap.  Loves kids and the smaller the kid the more careful not to hurt them and will play without getting rough, but now if its a teenager and he/she gets playing rough then the boxer will get just as rough.  Our boxer loves the cat and they sleep together at night and play together during the day.  Boxers are very smart or at least I think so!

10. The Rantin' Texan profile image54
    The Rantin' Texanposted 8 years ago

There is a very special breed known as "USA Dog".  Get that one.

working