jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

How do you approach dogs that are barking at you?

1. SamboRambo profile image82
    SamboRamboposted 6 years ago

How do you approach dogs that are barking at you?

You invited us to give you a topic. This is the first one that came to mind, because Ive had experience wih this. Maybe I'll write of my incidences.

2. Rooskaya profile image47
    Rooskayaposted 6 years ago

By not paying attention to them.Also you must not show them that you're afraid of them.

3. Mark Ewbie profile image88
    Mark Ewbieposted 6 years ago

Why approach them?  If the bark means stay away then stay away.  Or check with the owner what the deal is.  Some dogs bark because they are scared or excited, not necessarily aggressive.

But they all have teeth.

4. Dave Mathews profile image60
    Dave Mathewsposted 6 years ago

I show no fear and a willingness to be friendly, but I am still cautious.

5. Miss Lil' Atlanta profile image88
    Miss Lil' Atlantaposted 6 years ago

Thanks, for the great topic idea, SamboRambo! I'm just about to start writing about it!

~ Miss Lil' Atlanta

6. Toby Simon profile image39
    Toby Simonposted 6 years ago

i will avoid eye contact with the dogs >.

7. tsmog profile image83
    tsmogposted 6 years ago

If a dog is barking incessantly at me while on a walk for instance, I look to discover where her/his territory may be - nearby tree, bush, hedges for example. If I am on a sidewalk, most likely the dog gives that sanctuary, since others have passed by before. If It is in front of me blocking my way, I look her/him in the eye, look at myself up and down, then ask in a calm voice - what? You want my shoes? Give a nod, then wait a few moments if passage will be allowed I walk by while not looking back. When I am just out of sight I run like H*** - just kidding.

8. jacqui2011 profile image83
    jacqui2011posted 6 years ago

I had a bad experience as a child when I approached a dog which bit me. I probably scared it, but it has made me very wary of dogs that I dont know. I would never approach a barking dog because of that. Barking can be a warning, so I always heed this by not approaching the animal. I am totally fine with dogs that I know, I need to be as my brother has two German Shepherds which are big softies!

9. mediaspin profile image60
    mediaspinposted 6 years ago

Avoid approaching barking, unleashed dogs at all costs and never, ever look them in the eye!

working