Do you believe animals are therapeutic for someone who may have a crisis within

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (13 posts)
  1. proudmamma profile image76
    proudmammaposted 6 years ago

Do you believe animals are therapeutic for someone who may have a crisis within their life?

My husband was recently hospitalized. Our son is a teenager. However he is very attached to his dad. His dad has been Mr. Mom since our son was two. He cooked, he cleaned, took care of our son...and so much more until 3 years ago. He has had lots of health issues. They have progressed to get worse. In order to help my son, I got a kitten to possibly help him through the next few months. Do you think this is a good idea or bad idea?

2. profile image54
    shorty72posted 6 years ago

Animals are good companions for lots of people I think this is a great idea. Your husband might like to see it as well if he is still in hospital just ask, they are very good they let you have animals visit. We have a doctor in my home town and he takes his dog on rounds in the hospital with him ,the patients love it.

3. Sonia Perozzi profile image78
    Sonia Perozziposted 6 years ago

Yes, I do believe animals are wonderful to have in your life and a great idea for your son. They are known to have positive effects on our health; the simple, joyful act of petting an animal actually lowers blood pressure because of its calming and soothing nature.

Animals are used in therapeutic ways to help people who are sick, have physical disabilities or simply providing affection for those who are alone. In general, pets make amazing companions which is very healing within itself, and can be extremely comforting during difficult times in life. I wish all the best to you and your family and I hope the kitty helps.

4. Gloshei profile image60
    Glosheiposted 6 years ago

Yes definately, animals seem to sense when you are hurting or not well and stay close.  My mother-in-law has dementia and at the nursing home they are always bringing animals for the residents there. Recently we were sent a photo of her with a rabbit on her lap, and it was just sitting there being stroked not afraid at all. I think this kitten will be a great help for your son, and what shorty 72 said is write.  See if your son can take the kitten in to the hospital, this will help your son as well, it will make him feel he is helping his Dad.
    God Bless.

5. HappyHerper profile image67
    HappyHerperposted 6 years ago

It is scientifically proven that animals (specifically petting animals) lowers our blood pressure and releases oxytocin in our brains. This is the chemical associated with bonding. I will also give him something else to concentrate on. My sister got a cat shortly after our dad died and while he isn't a very cuddly cat, she does play with him and he provides humorous antics for her.

6. The Dirt Farmer profile image96
    The Dirt Farmerposted 6 years ago

Absolutely! I second Sonia Perozzi's answer 100 percent and would add that pets give us something to love, take care of, and focus on beyond ourselves, and that sort of compassion and responsibility makes us more human. I don't see how a having a kitten couldn't be a good thing for your son during the difficult days ahead.

Good luck to you & take care! --Jill

"Some tame gazelle, some gentle dove/ Something to love, ah, something to love."  --Coventry Pasmore (I think)

7. imamkrate profile image58
    imamkrateposted 6 years ago

sure i do believe . but at the same time  you should make him know that kitten is just a cute animal to have fun with her and kill time because some people cling to pets too much and that s not good . one day he ll lose this pet and that may create an emptiness in his life if he clings to her too much

8. delaneyworld profile image78
    delaneyworldposted 6 years ago

I think this is a wonderful idea!  I read recently that any time you touch something soft and comforting such as a kitten or puppy, your stress is reduced.  It's a simplistic view of a complex relationship.  Our relationships to animals can be absolutely magical and supportive in many more ways than we truly know. 

I have a load of health problems and our fur babies are always a great source of joy for me and my daughter.  As a matter of fact, one of our cats can sense any time my daughter is sick.  She stays close to her until she is well. 

I've also read that the purrs of a cat have healing properties.  I believe your son and your family will benefit on many levels from this sweet little addition to your family. 

I am thinking of you, your husband and your son and sending positive thoughts your way.  I am sorry to hear about your husband's health - it is a hard path to go down.  Remember that none of you are alone. 

Warmly,

Delaney

9. JenJen0703 profile image83
    JenJen0703posted 6 years ago

Getting a pet is always a good idea if for the right reasons. If your son didn't want the cat, then it will probably end up your pet. I do know one thing is certain, I have a dog who I've had for 7 years. A friend gave him to me when he was 6 weeks old. This dog was the cutest puppy I had ever seen. He quickly became my road dog and delivered pizzas with me on the weekends for over 2 years. There were plenty of times when I wanted to choke him for chewing up my brand new tennis shoes, or for getting loose and making me chase him (running, mind you) for an hour until he got tired and gave up.

But, the best part about my dog is that no matter where we are, he is always there for me. At night, he picks the coldest room and sleeps there to keep whoever is in there warm. He has unconditional love and is never mean to me. That dog was there for me when no one else was. He will take first place in my life until he dies.

10. onegoodwoman profile image74
    onegoodwomanposted 6 years ago

For your son, it probably is.........it certainly can be.

Animals, should not ever be the outlet for human anger.  Nor should they be expected to " replace" a human relationship.

Giving your son something to care about, is most probably a good thing.

You do not mention how long the kitten has been in the family, or how your son is faring with the cat.     

ask yourself, ' how is my son, dealing with the pet'?.

Be honest with yourself..........you owe us nothing.

11. proudmamma profile image76
    proudmammaposted 6 years ago

onegoodwoman,
    The kitten has only been in the home less than a week. My son adores Bear. Bear sleeps with my son, and spends most of it's time in my son's bedroom. He makes sure Bear is fed and watered. He worked diligently to get it litter box trained. I know the relationship with his dad can't be replaced. However, if I can help to eliminate some of his pain and help him to focus on the nurturing care of his kitten, then I've accomplished what I set out to do. The other night while he did his homework, he thought I needed to hold Bear, so he would feel safe and not as if he was being ignored.
    As for my son, no anger. His heart is broken just knowing, he is losing his dad. My son is compassionate and caring. He has a big heart. He has helped to care for his dad over the last year. This has taught him some of his best qualities.

12. Cre8tor profile image98
    Cre8torposted 6 years ago

Absolutely. Check out Wags for Warriors.

13. nancynurse profile image78
    nancynurseposted 6 years ago

Yes studies have shown that pets can bring down blood pressure, heart rate and just bring a since of well being to a family or single person.  Having another of God's creatures  to care for will also give your son something else to focus on and another purpose.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)