How do pets contribute to the overall health of a family?

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (21 posts)
  1. who10 profile image81
    who10posted 11 years ago

How do pets contribute to the overall health of a family?

2. dreamdamodar profile image57
    dreamdamodarposted 11 years ago

Most of the families consider their pets as part of their families. When the members of the family spend their time with the pets, they are extremely happy and positive minded. Such a positive frame of mind improves their overall health.

3. profile image0
    Johanna Bakerposted 11 years ago

Patting animals are known to calm people and reduce tension and stress and can help lower blood pressure.
    They provide comfort and company and give everyone in the family an opportunity to care about creatures that need caring for.
    They can teach children responsibility.
    We have two cats one elderly and one a kitten, a puppy and a cockatiel and we really enjoy their company and their antics. They brighten our day and give us more than ample reward for the time and care they cost us.

1. dreamdamodar profile image57
      dreamdamodarposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Very true.

4. Jackie Lynnley profile image85
    Jackie Lynnleyposted 11 years ago

Pets in a family bring the family together, all loving them and pretty much on the same page on at least this one thing. It is a relaxing joy having pets and bring laughter. Children are taught love through animals and nurturing.

1. dreamdamodar profile image57
      dreamdamodarposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I am very happy to see such thoughtful comments.

5. dingyskipper profile image61
    dingyskipperposted 11 years ago

It is well known that stroking a dog or cat while sitting can reduce the blood pressure more than just keeping still.
    Pets can when well behaved have a positive effect on the mental condition of the family, they also teach responsibility, and unfortunenatly about death.

6. nochance profile image87
    nochanceposted 11 years ago

Emotional and mental health is improved by having a pet. They are calming and cute, therefore making them stress relievers.

Pets can also help physical health as well. Pets are good for your immune system, especially if your parents had them when you were a kid. Pets drag in a lot of bacteria, not to mention the amount they create in their mouths. Exposure to this bacteria helps children build their immune systems making them less likely to get sick.

7. bizzymom profile image64
    bizzymomposted 11 years ago

I think having a pet is a wonderful thing.  They can make you laugh or smile just by doing their normal activity.  Petting my dog is very soothing.  The greeting she gives  us when we come home is priceless.  When I finally sit down at the end of a long day, my yorkie cuddles up right next to me.  She always shows the whole family that she loves us.

8. sroberts9 profile image79
    sroberts9posted 11 years ago

They relieve stress.  Just seeing them when you come home from a hard days work, with their sparkling eyes and tail wagging so quickly back and forth, and their urgency to rub on your leg, just lets you know someone one in this world does care about me and loves me without any reservation.  The focus on them and their love for you - makes the day seem worth it and you feel better about your day - then the stupid things of the day that stressed you out - seem to fade away.....

9. starbright profile image79
    starbrightposted 11 years ago

We live right out in the middle of nature where there are foxes, elk, deer, crane, geese, ducks, woodpeckers and an abundance of bird and insect life. Although not our pets, every time we see them close by it's just so fascinating and soul warming to watch them. It's like living in the middle of a natural zoo being able to watch every aspect of how they live. We're so privileged to be able to interact in their world every day - each of us respecting the other.

10. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 11 years ago

I will just mention what others have not. New studies have shown that having pets in the home with a newborn reduces the chances of allergies to animals in the child later in life. It use to be that animals were frowned upon if a couple were expecting a child. Now many doctors are encouraging parents to keep animals.

11. takerecess profile image61
    takerecessposted 11 years ago

My family had dogs while I was growing up. I was able to participate in training and caring for them. This taught me how to interact appropriately with animals and how to be responsible. A dog is also a wonderful friend when no one else seems to understand. They can also warn and protect a family. I definitely recommend getting one.

12. Frank Atanacio profile image74
    Frank Atanacioposted 11 years ago

By who.. Pets  do contribute to the overall health to a family..  they keep couch potatoes active and on their feet..  they listen  when you just wanna get things off your chest..  they teach loyalty by example..  and they help nurture minds.. yeah.. pets are so important..  I love my dog  and I can scream that from a mountain top.. smile

13. SidKemp profile image85
    SidKempposted 11 years ago

My wife and I have two cats that we saved from being rounded up and put to sleep. Both are very shy. Each cat chose one of us. Training my cat, Bandera, to sit on my lap has taken 9 years. In learning to do it, I've also learned how to be gentle, loving, and patient with my wife.

My wife's cat is needy and cantankerous. In learning to care for her, my wife has figured out a few things about me!

Caring for animals brings out a natural, caring, patient side in us all. Playing with animals makes us playful. Animals are naturally relaxed, and heal themselves easily. If we transfer that to how we care for ourselves and care for and play with each other, we have a more relaxed, more caring, happier family.

14. miccimom profile image60
    miccimomposted 11 years ago

We have a dog, Brando, and its just the simple fact that he is so excited to see everyone one of us, EVERYDAY.  The unconditional love is so comforting.  I think its the fact that we can count on him to be happy and cheer us up when we are down that is the overall health benefit for our family.

15. DrMark1961 profile image96
    DrMark1961posted 11 years ago

Besides the well known ways in which pets contribute to the health of an individual (reduce stress, reduce blood pressure) there is something even more important that pets do for health. They accept us, now matter how ugly, fat, handicapped, socially inept, etc. Almost all of the commentators mention this great benefit, in one way or another, as it really is the most important thing to us.

16. yeagerinvestments profile image69
    yeagerinvestmentsposted 11 years ago

My pet relieves my stress! He goes on runs with me and when I come home, he loves to see me which makes my day brighten; of course so does my wife.

17. Li Galo profile image75
    Li Galoposted 11 years ago

The only time I've REALLY enjoyed having pets is when someone else took care of the feeding, poop clean up and bathing of them.  Then, when they curled up with me, it was just love.  In that one way, pets are fabulous.  They give you straight up love, love, love.  There are no issues between you and the pup.  Okay, maybe the cat gives you dirty looks sometimes but who knows what he's worked up about?  That passes and then he curls up on my lap later.  When my kids are grown up and gone, so are the pets!  I don't want anything extra to clean up after.  While I appreciate the love and that (maybe) makes me healthier emotionally, I want a simple life where I can travel on a moment's notice. I think it would be undue stress to my life when I'm older and want to travel.  I think there may be a true health benefit to someone who is elderly and home quite a bit, as companionship, for laughs, and for extra love.  Plus, it's always nice to have a little furry thing to nap with on the sofa and I expect to get plenty of napping in when I'm an aged lady.

18. Midlife Magic profile image58
    Midlife Magicposted 11 years ago

When I sit and pet my dog, I am totally present in a way that I seldom experience otherwise.

When I walk with him, I experience the soft summer nights and I totally enjoy the moment and all the worries of the day fade.

When my father was ill my dog's arrival at his home gave him the greatest joy.

I was never a dog person, but I bought Audi for my son and then he decided he liked girls better so now I have a dog.  But it is good in ways I could never have imagined!

19. who10 profile image81
    who10posted 11 years ago

All very good answers.  Nice to see such positive comments.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)