jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

What are some natural remedies for eliminating dandruff on a dog?

1. AEvans profile image78
    AEvansposted 6 years ago

What are some natural remedies for eliminating dandruff on a dog?

We have 4 Cocker Spaniels and they very well taken care of; however what is a natural remedy for eliminating dandruff on a puppy? He is bathed with Oatmeal shampoo and brushed daily.

2. profile image0
    shahirslmn87posted 6 years ago

@AEvans

One thing I may give a try is egg white. I don't have any scientific proof for this. But, egg white is something that is used in rural areas and seems to have some effect.

I hope this will work for you too.

Have a great time ahead.

3. Dragonrain profile image84
    Dragonrainposted 6 years ago

I'd take a look at what you're feeding them.  Food can definitely effect the skin and coat of a dog.

4. BRIAN SLATER profile image87
    BRIAN SLATERposted 6 years ago

Hi, we had a cocker spaniel dog who occasionally got this problem. The vet told us not to wash her coat very often as washing a dogs coat too regularly washes the natural oils away which helps keep their coats supple and soft and also protects them from dry skin which can lead to dandruff.

Also you should never bathe puppy dogs, until there at 12 months old, for the reasons I have outlined above.

hope this helps.

5. datahound profile image68
    datahoundposted 6 years ago

I feed a food that contains omega oils for skin and coat but still find my Chocolate Labrador will get flaky in the colder weather.  Call your vet.  Mine recommended a generic vitamin E added to the food.  I simply pricked the gel cap and squeezed the oil over the kibble one meal a day.  I noticed a difference in about a week and a half. 
      Do check with your vet first.  This should be the type of information they can give you without a visit.  They should be able to tell you how often you can bathe your breed.  I've heard no more than once a month is a standard guideline.

6. Teylina profile image60
    Teylinaposted 6 years ago

Everyone before me is right to best of my knowledge--fair. Dragonrain hit the nail on the head in that it's no joke that some commercials have now been making a point about corn--should not be one of the first 2 items listed, for dogs or cats.  Egg whites are good, but I've always mixed a little olive oil in 'em. Shahirsmn's like me--try the ole' time remedies; you can also add the vit E to this. And, no, puppies lose a lot of their natural skin control if bathed too often (even grown dogs--try a dry mitt for odor/etc--) or at all if too young. you got some great answers before me--and don't forget the vet! Like alternative meds for us--go w/your instincts. Often one will try to promote a product simply because they have something to gain!

7. Winter Maclen profile image71
    Winter Maclenposted 6 years ago

Dogs don't really have dandruff like people do.  It could be dry skin and you could need to do something as simple as adding humidity to the house.  Or, more common dogs have skin conditions as the result of allergies.  Have you changed diet, or exposed the dog to new conditions around the time the people started?  A quick trip to the vet might be in order.  Also, how often are you shampooing?  Some conditions require more or less bathing.  And there are special shampoos specifically for pups or for allergy-prone dogs.  Try these things and see if any of them help.
    As for egg white, it might work, but I wouldn't feed raw egg to a puppy for fear of salmonella.

8. danajconnelly profile image71
    danajconnellyposted 6 years ago

I agree with brian slater's answer.  Additionally check the ingredients in the shampoo you are using, avoiding alcohol or sulfates as the first ingredients. Also, and this is a little hippy dippy of me, but try drizzling a little olive oil in his/her food.  Just anticipate they may poop more often. You can also rub the olive oil into the coat then shampoo as usual. I should write a hub on the many uses of olive oil. Ha.

9. alexadry profile image97
    alexadryposted 6 years ago

Is your dog's coat itchy, dull, and full of dandruff? If so, you may need to help your canine companion. Learn some natural home remedies for dog dandruff. read more

working