jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (9 posts)

How do you keep your cat from taking the ornaments off the Christmas tree?

1. lisasuniquevoice profile image74
    lisasuniquevoiceposted 5 years ago

How do you keep your cat  from taking the ornaments off the Christmas tree?

2. MickS profile image73
    MickSposted 5 years ago

Every time it goes near the tree, whick it across the nose with a rolled up newspaper, it will soon get the idea to divert it's arttention elsewhere.

1. christopheranton profile image75
      christopherantonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Somebody should whack you across the nose with a rolled up newspaper and see how you like it. Cruelty will not teach any good lessons. Just shout at the cat if you must. The most sensible thing would be to hang your precious baubles out of reach.

2. MickS profile image73
      MickSposted 5 years agoin reply to this

It is not cruelty, I have enough hearing from bleeding hearts, it's an animal and nedds to be put in its place, punishment isn't cruelty.

3. Goody5 profile image69
    Goody5posted 5 years ago

A bigger problem is keeping your cats from eating tinsel from off of the Christmas tree. It's a mess & a problem when it starts coming back out.

4. BLACKANDGOLDJACK profile image84
    BLACKANDGOLDJACKposted 5 years ago

Lol. I had a big fake tree that sat on the floor last year. Not only did the cat play with the ornaments, he chewed on the branches. After he knocked it over a couple times (it wasn't that sturdy to begin with), I said the heck with this, took it down, and put up a small one that sets on a table. So far this year he's only knocked down the little tree once. I threw him outside in a snow drift and he hasn't done it since.

5. profile image0
    Motown2Chitownposted 5 years ago

I've tried my mother's technique for keeping cats out of plants and it was fairly successful.  Sprinkle a liberal amount of ground black pepper around the base of the tree.  Cats don't like the smell or the sneezing that comes with inhaling it and tend to stay away.  Covering it up with the tree skirt keeps it from being an eyesore, and kitties can still smell it.

Good luck.

6. FatFreddysCat profile image98
    FatFreddysCatposted 5 years ago

My cat is getting up in age nowadays so she's too old for such foolishness (she does like to lay underneath it when the lights are on, but that's about all), but in her younger days she was quite the Christmas Tree terror. She'd try to climb it, she'd grab the garland and yank it off, knock ornaments off the lower branches, etc.
    We learned very quickly to hang the non-breakable ornaments towards the bottom of the tree and we also looped a piece of twine around the 'trunk' attached to a hook in the wall behind the tree so that she couldn't accidentally tip it over.

7. lanablackmoor profile image91
    lanablackmoorposted 5 years ago

Our cats do this, too! They'll even scale the heights of the tree to get to the "optimal" ornaments. You'd think they were loaded with catnip. What works best for us is spraying Bitter Apple Spray on all the branches. This keeps them from tasting so delicious, deters the cats from climbing and is 100% non-toxic! Hope that helps!