jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

Is it possible to get a cat shaved? Is it a good idea?

1. davidlivermore profile image97
    davidlivermoreposted 4 years ago

Is it possible to get a cat shaved?  Is it a good idea?

During the summer months my cats drop a ton of fur.  I don't have an AC in my house, so they have to drop all of that fur to keep cool.  It makes such a mess.  My question is, can I take a cat to a groomer to have them shaved?  Will it help?

2. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 4 years ago

It is possible but have you seen those hairless cats? Creepy does not even cover it. However, my husband loves them because the cat always sits on his chest and rubs on David's whiskers.

3. Lady Guinevere profile image60
    Lady Guinevereposted 4 years ago

Not a good idea.  http://www.petplace.com/cats/structure- … page1.aspx
    Close the window that pops up and you can read the whole article.

1. davidlivermore profile image97
      davidlivermoreposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the link!

4. EricDockett profile image99
    EricDockettposted 4 years ago

I don't know that you'd want to shave a cat, but you can get him groomed if that's what you mean.  We have a maine coon, a breed with a very thick coat.  We keep him well-brushed through the winter, but he goes to the groomer when the weather gets hot.

The groomer never takes all of his hair off, but cuts it shorter so he's cooler and doesn't shed as much.  He actually gets the "lion cut".  It looks a little ridiculous, but he doesn't seem to care.

5. Dreamhowl profile image97
    Dreamhowlposted 4 years ago

Cat's can definitely be groomed - they do it in our grooming salon more than you would think. I wouldn't get your cats shaved, though - maybe just a good grooming with a Furminator (shedding blade that helps remove loose hair and undercoat). They's still have hair, just less to shed.

working