jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

Why do dogs throw up when they don't seem sick?

1. Victoria Lynn profile image90
    Victoria Lynnposted 4 years ago

Why do dogs throw up when they don't seem sick?

And then eat it? Yuck!

2. To Start Again profile image78
    To Start Againposted 4 years ago

I don't know for sure but my dog throws up when she gets overheated and then drinks too much water too fast. It's usually just watery though. Sometimes if she eats something that isn't good for her, like liking up dropped spaghetti from the kids that has garlic and onion in it (both of which are poisonous to dogs though mostly when raw), she will vomit once but it's a whole lot! yuck!

3. Barbara Kay profile image91
    Barbara Kayposted 4 years ago

I have a dog that likes to eat leaves and grass. Then he throws it up every time. I don't know why he continues doing it.

Dogs need to eat very little compared to people and they want to eat all the time. Overeating can cause the problem. Eating what they throw up is just their nature. Dogs in the wild can go a long time with no food. When they have food, they gorge and take advantage of it.

1. ChristinS profile image96
      ChristinSposted 4 years agoin reply to this

This is actually an enzymatic issue also - get your pup some digestive enzymes or change his diet to something that gives him what he needs.  Dogs/cats eat grass when they are missing enzymes that help them digest their food.

4. MizBejabbers profile image89
    MizBejabbersposted 4 years ago

The same reason cats puke for no reason. They just do. No, seriously, your dog may have a food allergy that is irritating his stomach, or even worms. If he has been checked for worms, I would try a food for sensitive stomachs. Hills Science Diet makes a good one, and so do several other premium brands. If that doesn't help, it really is time for a trip to the vet.
    Sometimes they just eat too fast. Is your dog a gobbler? If so, try to get him to slow down.

5. ChristinS profile image96
    ChristinSposted 4 years ago

dogs are much less likely than cats to just "throw up" because.  My guess is going to be your dog is having a problem with his food.  Have you taken him off food and put him on a bland diet for 24 hours? A bland diet is cooked rice and steamed or broiled chicken.  Give him a blend of both and after 24 hours mix his regular food half and half with the bland diet, and then go back to his regular diet.  If he starts to vomit again, change his food.  A dog eating his vomit means he is missing key enzymes in his diet that he is trying to get by eating them again (eww I know) but that is why dogs eat poo and vomit - they are missing enzymes they need in their diet.

6. ahorseback profile image59
    ahorsebackposted 4 years ago

It has more to do with the genetic make up of wolves and coyotes that would have regurgitated  some of what they ate -back at the den to feed the puppies and mate I believe .  Domesticated now , they dont have that need , yet still carry the habits ?