jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How can I stop my cat from itching?

1. iggy7117 profile image81
    iggy7117posted 2 years ago

How can I stop my cat from itching?

My cat has been itching, I gave her flea and lice baths and never seen any on her. I tried changing her food and litter. She scratched herself raw I think, the sore appeared one day and I did not see her scratch it. Why is she itching and how can I help her?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12416843_f260.jpg

2. Bailey Strum profile image59
    Bailey Strumposted 2 years ago

It would be best to bring her in to a vet to get their opinion! Until then, try rubbing vinegar on the areas that she is scratching. She may have an infection of some kind that will need to be treated, but the unpleasant smell and taste of the vinegar may help her stop irritating the area.

3. profile image55
    health200posted 2 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12417086_f260.jpg

Hi
    Itching in any area there

I have a bunch of tips and solutions on all pet problems including cats

4. MarieLB profile image81
    MarieLBposted 2 years ago

My dog had the same problem recently, and she scratched so much that she created sores.  I could not use vinegar as it would burn on broken skin.
    I washed the area gently then dried it and smeared Betadine Antiseptic {for humans} which, I was assured is not poisonous if she licks it.

I also used a Tinea ointment {for humans}which is effective against ring-worm.

All the above helped but she was still itchy so I went back to the vet, and this time he figured it must be a contact dermatitis [allergy].  he gave her a cortisone injection and it was like witch-craft. 

Within a few hours she had stopped licking and scratching, and all the sores disappeared.

I still find it amazing that it was such a dramatic turnaround.

Hope some of the above will help to give you ideas.  I reckon the first thing you need to do is to determine whether it is ring-worm, and allergy or something else. 

In the meantime wash it gently with say. . .eye saline, dry it and put any  antiseptic ointment.  At worst, it will ease off the itching for a while, at best it will halt the damage to the skin, then go ahead to the analysis.

good luck.

working