jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Should I quit my new job after receiving a better offer?

1. bruyant profile image53
    bruyantposted 8 years ago

Should I quit my new job after receiving a better offer?

Just got hired like 3 months before receiving a even sweeter deal. Should I quit? I only have been there for 3 months and the people there are really nice to me.

2. jkfrancis profile image52
    jkfrancisposted 8 years ago

I can only give you my experience. I was in banking for over 20 years, in the Real Estate Loan field and looking for a new job having been laid off. I sent my resume out to a number of banks and savings and loans (back when there were S&Ls) and got a number of interviews. Two weeks later I got a job offer from the one and only bank that responded after an interview, so I took the job. It wasn't paying me what I wanted, but some pay is better than none.

I showed up for my first day of work, got acquainted, etc. When I got home that night I received a phone call from another bank with an offer 50% higher in pay than the job I showed up for. Didn't take me long to figure that one out.

Went to the first bank, told the President that I received a much higher offer from another bank I interviewed at and asked if they could meet the salary or I'd have to take the other offer. They didn't meet the other offer so I quit and took the other job.

This was only after 1 day, so I've never reported that as a previous job. Now, if you were there for a longer time period, I'd suggest doing some intensive research on the company that offered you the new position. If you leave your present position will that harm your work history? Give you bad references? Do you have to move to a different city? Is there some significant difference that the new offer gives you that you don't presently have? Are you more qualified for your present job than the new offer - where would you perform better? What are the opportunities for advancement with both companies?

Good luck!

3. adsensesecrets profile image60
    adsensesecretsposted 8 years ago

if you have no complaints at your current job then make sure it is worth it

4. HubChief profile image79
    HubChiefposted 8 years ago

if you jump often, not good for long term. at least have a stability track record in resume.

if it is you second job, go ahead, more sweeter, more marrier.

5. Ambition398 profile image55
    Ambition398posted 8 years ago

Tread very carefully here. Remember that money isn't everything. You sound like you enjoy your current job and the people you work with. That can be difficult to come by. This other employer may pay more but how do you know what the culture is like? The people? Ask yourself what is most important to you.

6. Tom T profile image68
    Tom Tposted 8 years ago

When you say sweeter deal do you mean more money or a more challenging job with better growth opportunities?  The difference is this, if you switch, 3 years from now when you are on an  interview, they will ask you why you took the new job after only working 3 months.  Your success in that interview may well depend on that answer.

working