Have you ever quit a job?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (23 posts)
  1. Relationshipc profile image81
    Relationshipcposted 11 years ago

Have you ever quit a job?

If you have, what kind of job was it and how did you feel after you quit? What did you do?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7992151_f260.jpg

2. stanwshura profile image72
    stanwshuraposted 11 years ago

Eons ago, I quit a job at an Air Force base child development center.  It was strictly an economic decision as the pay was just too low.  I already had another job lined up as a paraprofessional at an elementary school before I gave my notice.

I felt badly, but also excited for this new opportunity to work with kids for greater pay.

Relationshipcposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It's nice to have another job lined up, especially when it is a step up. It makes it easier to give your notice for sure.

3. Bishop55 profile image88
    Bishop55posted 11 years ago

When I was 18 I worked at a retirement home as an aide.  The place was over-ridden with abuse and neglect and made me sick.  I tried to report things I saw, but I think because of my age, I was not taken seriously.  They also messed up required Heb B shots I needed, I am negative but they had to do the series 2x.  So...anyhow...one day my friend said "wanna drive to Canada" and I said yes.  Called my employer and said "I quit"  ahh...the luxuries of youth!  We drove to Canada for the next week, smoked a lot of pot and stayed until we barely had the gas money to get home.   She's still a best friend, and I will never regret quitting that horrible job!  I only wish I could have kidnapped 80% of the residents!

I hear you! I have worked at both hospitals and nursing homes, and the neglect is what made me leave those jobs as well. I'm amazed that you had the insight at 18 to see that...a lot of younger people are not that aware. Sounds like a fun quit!

4. LoisRyan13903 profile image59
    LoisRyan13903posted 11 years ago

Over 20 years ago I quit my job in the food service department in a nursing home.  The reason I quit was because I was hired at my current job.  I was getting over double the pay at my new job with a lot more benefits and many promotion opportunities

1. LoisRyan13903 profile image59
      LoisRyan13903posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I also quit selling Kirby Vacuums after 3 days.  That type of pushy sales is not my cup of tea

2. Relationshipc profile image81

Yep, double the pay would do it! And I have found that it takes a unique individual to work in any type of pushy sales job.

5. sarahmoose profile image68
    sarahmooseposted 11 years ago

I have had a few jobs, so have some experience of resignations! I did have a sales job that I lasted 3 days in, and I rang in and told them I hated it. They were quite happy with my honesty, so that was something. I also worked for Capital One, but in the payment assistance (i.e. debt collection) department. The hours were rubbish, the pay wasn't great, and I hated the constant outbound calling when most people didn't want to talk to you anyway. Although, I am now fed up of this job too... and leaving in the summer to train as a teacher :-)

I wouldn't be able to do the outbound calling and deal in negative situations all day - what a drag. Good luck with your training!

6. german83 profile image60
    german83posted 11 years ago

I quit a job 2 times... It was always to a better job, and in both plaves they understood that. The feeling after quitting is a little bit strange, and the doubts if you are doing the right thing appear. But in both cases I had no regrets...

That's true. Even if the jobs sucks, you still feel awkward, weird, fearful of leaving it. I was saying to my husband that the feeling just means change is coming, and that's a good thing!

2. WalterPoon profile image69
      WalterPoonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Relationshipc, I changed jobs 9 times and I thought that was a lot until I saw Billybuc's profile that says he had changed 26 jobs before he finally retired!!!

3. Relationshipc profile image81

Wow. Well, my husband is right on Billy's trail.

7. LisaKoski profile image80
    LisaKoskiposted 11 years ago

I was a cashier at my last job (my last retail job ever actually). I was yelled at in front of a line of customers for spending too much time helping an elderly woman in a wheelchair get all of her bags in order after I checked her out. I was sick of it, had a better job already waiting for me elsewhere, and decided after clocking off that day that I just wasn't coming back. Felt so good to finally be done with that sort of nonsense.

Yelled at for being compassionate? Wow. Not the kind of job I would want to be at either. I can imagine the relief you felt.

8. Shaddie profile image75
    Shaddieposted 11 years ago

I have quit 5 jobs in my lifetime so far, 2 dog kennels and 3 pet stores. One of them I left because the owner was not paying me, one I left because it was extremely stressful and the boss was crazy, one I left because after 4 years I got bored of retail, one I left because the owner was attempting to traffic wildlife (and I called the Fish & Wildlife on her), and then the last one I quit was simply due to locale.

I have felt good about leaving every job so far. In fact, I love quitting jobs. It is such a high, and I've never had much trouble finding another one.

I feel a connection to you - I've quit 3 daycare/kennels and 1 pet food store. smile I agree, quitting allows you to dump built up stress and move on to something better. It's hard to see anything past the stress or anger when you are at a job you hate.

9. Rachna Rai profile image58
    Rachna Raiposted 11 years ago

I quit my first job (in the telecom sector) as my Customer Service department got shifted to somewhere else and we were given the option to move into Sales department. I was not interested in moving to Sales department, so I quit the job and decided to pursue my MBA.

That's a great reason to quit your job!

10. WalterPoon profile image69
    WalterPoonposted 11 years ago

What a question! If anyone were to answer no, he or she must really be a rare breed.

My mother could answer no. She went to college to become an x-ray technician and didn't work before then and she has never quit her job. Plus some people get let go instead of quit - I know I've been there. So it's not THAT rare. smile

11. skys profile image59
    skysposted 11 years ago

If my life I did job rarely but whenever I did, I quit only twice. Job was good, I was all in all but I wanted to continue my studies and the other reason was, my girlfriend wasn't happy. So, I left job while my employer wasn't allowing me.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)