How to end an unwanted conversation with a telemarketer?

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (42 posts)
  1. stricktlydating profile image84
    stricktlydatingposted 11 years ago

How to end an unwanted conversation with a telemarketer?

2. JimTxMiller profile image76
    JimTxMillerposted 11 years ago

Avoid them calling you in the first place. Put yourself on a "do not call" list.

1. Seeker7 profile image82
      Seeker7posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi Jim, I'm on a 'do not call list' but you get companies who just ignore them - I still get loads of crappy sales calls.

3. BLACKANDGOLDJACK profile image72
    BLACKANDGOLDJACKposted 11 years ago

"Take this phone number off your list. Do not call again."

Then I terminate the call.

Works for me.

stricktlydatingposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Great idea thanks! And I enjoy reading everyone's responses too!

4. MickS profile image60
    MickSposted 11 years ago

Once you have ascertained that this person who has been rude enough to invade your privacy with an unwanted call, you can then be as rude as you like, do not give the caller time to speak, finish the call by saying - don't call this number again - then cut the call.

1. MickS profile image60
      MickSposted 11 years agoin reply to this

One of their favourite openings is, 'sorry to bother you', my answer is, 'no you're not, if you were sorry, you wouldn't have been so rude as to bother me'.

2. Seeker7 profile image82

Oh I like this reply - I'll need to try it¬

5. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 11 years ago

It may sound rude, but just hang up the phone. Or ask them their home number so you can call them back. smile

6. Goody5 profile image60
    Goody5posted 11 years ago

Simply hang the phone up!

7. janshares profile image94
    jansharesposted 11 years ago

Three sure ways to end it:

#1 - Don't answer the phone. You can tell when it's a telemarketer by the time of day they call and the number of rings before they hang up. If it's someone legit, they will leave a message.

#2 - Do you notice that there's silence in the beginning of the call when you say 'hello,' usually when they are putting on the recording device? Hang up then, usually within the first two seconds of the call. That will end it before it starts.

#3 - If you're not quick enough to hang up in those first two seconds, go ahead and let them get through one sentence of their little spiel, then interrupt by saying,
    "I appreciate the call, but I'm not interested, thank you for calling, good-bye." Hang -up.

Some good tips Janshares.  I've tried not answering a company who was calling me previously, but they keep me on some kind of dial back system, continually calling me! So annoying!

2. Seeker7 profile image82

I agree stricktlydating, I have an answering machine and there are some companies who keep dialling my number every few seconds to force me to pick up!

8. Bonnie-Jean Rohne profile image58
    Bonnie-Jean Rohneposted 11 years ago

I usually mention that I am on the no-call list. If they persist in calling me, I report them - and tell them I did.
    One great idea I heard of is when a telemarketer calls, you ask them to hold on while you answer the door - then leave the phone off the hook and go have dinner.

That's a good tip! Thanks!

9. profile image0
    Sarra Garrettposted 11 years ago

What I do is to pretend that the telemarketer just called a crime scene.  I ask them how they know Ms. X, when was the last time they spoke, where are they so I can send a deputy to interview them.  It works and they never call back and most poop in their pants.

Remember, the Do Not Call list has to be updated on a yearly basis.

10. profile image0
    Sam Gurschickposted 11 years ago

Unless the telemarketer is cold calling from a phone book, then it is you who initiated the "business". Likely by filling something out online and small print  gave permission for your information to be sold to telemarketers. When this happens the national Do Not Call no longer applies because you started business dealings with the company.

Don't just hang up the the phone, this does little good because telemarkers work with an auto dial program. The program will just call you back at some point. Request to be placed on the company's internal do not call list.

Yes I think that's what's happened to me!

2. Express10 profile image85
      Express10posted 11 years agoin reply to this

You are absolutely right Sam.

3. Becky Katz profile image80
      Becky Katzposted 11 years agoin reply to this

They now have computers that cold call, dialing any assigned number. When someone answers, they ask you to hold for an important call. If the computer is asking me to hold, I hang up.

11. ddaquila profile image60
    ddaquilaposted 11 years ago

I get some calls from telemarketers that I like to humor at times, just because the person speaks slow, and has an easy way about what they're promoting. I don't know why I do it. I guess I feel like it encourages them in some way, assuming they get a lot of hang ups. Haha. But if they do sound like a waterfall of verbal diarrhea I tend to simply "hello?" "oh" *click*

12. whatonmelodysmind profile image59
    whatonmelodysmindposted 11 years ago

Telemarketers are only doing their job. If they call you just tell them you're not interested and they remove your name in their contact list. If they are persistent, report them to the proper authority. Last option, press the end call button everytime they initiated a call.

13. Becky Katz profile image80
    Becky Katzposted 11 years ago

I have a whistle by the phone. I tell them I am not interested and am on the 'Do not call list'. If they call again, I blow the whistle on them. They do not call after that.

1. profile image0
      Sam Gurschickposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Excessive and wrong, intentionally blowing a whistle in someone's ear because they call you. You must know that if you request to be put on an internal do not call list, they will not call again. If they do call again then it's an accident.

2. celafoe profile image54
      celafoeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree with Becky and sara we did not ask for the call soo too bad.

3. Becky Katz profile image80

Sam, I am on the nationwide 'Do Not Call' list, if they are calling me at all, it is an intrusion and a crime. They can pay the price for not doing their job.

4. profile image0
      Larry Wallposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The person calling is handed a list. He or she does not know if you are on the do not call list or not. I have been rude, hung up and yelled in my younger days--would never blow a whistle in someone's ear. That is going too far.

5. Becky Katz profile image80

No, but their bosses should. I have just a cell now because I got tired of getting sales calls. So now they are allowed to call my pay per minute cell and waste my time and money. I have a phone for my convenience, not their profit.

6. profile image0
      Larry Wallposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The do not call list is not perfect. Pollsters can call. People campaigning can call. Certain charities can call and anyone you ever did business with can call. Regardless, don't shoot the messenger. jut hang up. The whistle is excessive.

7. Express10 profile image85

I agree with you Becky. There are telemarketers that ignore laws and polite requests. You stated you notify them that you're on the Do Not Call list. After that, they get what they get. How much are you supposed to take?

14. Express10 profile image85
    Express10posted 11 years ago

Hanging up, repeatedly saying no and nothing else but no, repeatedly asking to be taken off their calling list until they say yes or hang up are just some ways to deal with them. Some people put their smart arse kids on the line so the kids can blow off some steam while grandmothers and others blow whistles in their ears. They interrupted your life, not the other way around. On top of that, they want you to make an unplanned and 99.9% of the time, unnecessary purchase that you may have trouble getting out of. Protect yourself whether you have to be mean or nice. They only want one thing and it's not what's best for you or your wallet.

I have written several hubs about the scams and other problems associated with telemarketers. The best ways to deal with them is to prevent them from calling by avoiding ordering things from t.v. commercials and sketchy websites. Opting out of solicitations through your bank is another must because telemarketers buy your name, address, account info, etc. from banks and other companies you previously purchased things from/do business with and when they get you on the line, they may not ask for your credit card or banking info. Watch out! This is because they already have it. Worryingly, some will charge you even if you said no or hung up! Steer clear of them and their traps.

Sarra Garrett has a great suggestion but remember, there are thousands of telemarketers here in the US and many who call US citizens from overseas. There are many thousands here and abroad who don't care about the Do Not Call list. You simply have to be a vigilant and informed person to avoid them and keep them from calling you.

15. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 11 years ago

If it is a recording, I hang up. If it is a person, I will tell him I am not really interested. If he goes into his backup speech, I will say I think you heard me. I am going to hang up in 10 seconds. You can keep talking or we can end this friendly...they usually keep talking.

I do this because I recognize that these people are trying to earn of living doing probably one of the worst jobs in the world. I try to be polite, but you can only push me so far.

If they call me by my first name, I correct them to say Mr. Wall--not an ego thing, just to let them know I am listening and expect the same respect they want.

1. Express10 profile image85

These are excellent strategies Larry. I also hate it when people call strangers by their first names. Many telemarketers simply don't show any respect, nor do they deserve any.

16. profile image0
    Pamdoraposted 11 years ago

If it's somebody I don't want to talk to, I tell them to leave me alone and hang up.  If the person sounds interesting, I talk them to death until they hang up.

Haven't yet made any new lifelong friends that way, but you never know.

17. Seeker7 profile image82
    Seeker7posted 11 years ago

I pick up the phone and if they don't take the hint after telling them I'm not interested, I don't disconnect them, but leave the phone on the table so that they are talking to themselves. I don't usually get a return call.

If they are very rude and pushy, then I'm afraid my Scots-Irish temper gets the better of me and I give them a mouthful! That usually works as well.

This is an interesting question though, as there are some companies in the UK are currently being fined by the courts for telephoning people who have expressly stated they did not want contacted. They are also being fined for basically allowing sales teams to harass people at home. Not before time! For me, getting unsolicited calls at home is an invasion of privacy - and it's exactly the same as if the sales person walked into your house without knocking and getting permission. I honestly see red when they call, it really p------s me off big time!

18. richardbrown81 profile image83
    richardbrown81posted 11 years ago

the no call list only extends to that project and if its a survey they don't have one.  to be put on the national no call list you must sign up, they won't do it for you.  the best way to end the call is to make up your own language or act extremely handicapped.  when they ask for someone else freak out.  that company will never call again and your number will be deleted from all their affiliates because of a "communication barrier"

1. Seeker7 profile image82

LOL!!! I haven't tried this one either, will need to have a go!

2. Express10 profile image85

There are also telemarketers who conduct "surveys" only to get around laws against telemarketers, so you can't really trust phone surveys either.

19. caseymel profile image91
    caseymelposted 11 years ago

I tell them I am not interested and I hang up, even if they are still talking.  I just don't have the time.

1. Express10 profile image85

This is a good way of dealing with them. Many people go wrong by allowing the telemarketer to rebuttal them. Don't listen or give them the time, say you're not interested or put me on your in house DNC list and hang up immediately.

20. stclairjack profile image78
    stclairjackposted 11 years ago

i try to remember that these folks are trying to make a living at a job that i wouldnt want no matter the wages,... and at some moments their is information to be gleaned from the person calling you,...

perhaps she is trying to locate an ex,.. and depending on which ex and why, i will help the person find him or not,... i figure if you were dumb enough to loan #2 money then you deserve the mess your in,.. YOU go find him, i will not help you.

perhaps he's selling windows, doors and siding,... vacation packages,.. what ever,... i just let the little fellow drone on until i can finaly get a word in edgewise and then say... "i dont vacation, my home is less than 7 years old, and i am capable of building my poorch and patio as i am a carpenter, so dont waste your time on me as i am sure you are paid on commision"

if the caller is EXTREEMLY pushy and wont take NO for an answer i usualy then ask if theyre single,... that stumbles them,.. then i ask what they look like,.. kid you not, they will answer this every time, people are such dolts at times,... then i ask how they treat a woman on a date,... when they ask why i explain that if we were on a date and i had said NO THIS MANY TIMES and they were STILL being this forcefull it would already have qualified as DATE RAPE by now.

silly boy hangs up,.... everry time,..... i laugh histericaly,.... every time.

strangely enough i've even pulled this on female telemarketers,... though that scenraio usualy ends at "what do you look like"..... women ARE smarter than men! ha!

21. averagejoehello profile image60
    averagejoehelloposted 11 years ago

I'm pretty polite and will tell them that their call is a waste of their time as I'm not interested in whatever they're going to tell me about / try and sell me.  If they talk over me I hang up.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)