jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

What are some ways to reduce stress during long commutes to and from work during

1. CWanamaker profile image97
    CWanamakerposted 5 years ago

What are some ways to reduce stress during long commutes to and from work during rush hour?

2. msorensson profile image70
    msorenssonposted 5 years ago

Pay attention to the coming in and going out of your breath through your nostrils. Do not follow the breath going into your lungs. Just the sensation as the air goes in and out of your nostrils.

3. wolfee profile image70
    wolfeeposted 5 years ago

Research has shown that the stress of commuting to and from work or school can take a big toll on a person's health. Learning how to ease the stress of a long commute can be extremely beneficial. read more

4. Diana Grant profile image93
    Diana Grantposted 5 years ago

If you can, travel by public transport rather than driving. This will give you time to read a newspaper, do the puzzles, read a book, or just watch what is happening around you or chill out. My journey used to take nearly an hour, and sometimes I got so involved in one or more of these activities that I was actually sorry  when the journey came to an end.

If you are driving, leave yourself plenty of time, so that you are not driving on your nerves, by which I mean you are not anxious every time there is a hold-up or someone overtakes you or cuts in front of you, Turn on the radio, and listen to discussion or play your favourite music, or play a talking book or language course - do whichever keeps you calm without distracting you too much. This will all make you enjoy your time a bit more, and stop you getting angry with the behaviour of other road users, which is a prime cause of stress. Just smile and have patience with other people and accept external problems like road works without inwardly seething - allow yourself to be peaceful. The important thing is to give yourself more time than you need for your journey so that you don't feel anxious and pressured by every minor hold-up (I ought to take my own advice there!).

5. ProfoundPuns profile image81
    ProfoundPunsposted 5 years ago

With preparation, a change in attitude, and maybe a little technology, there are ways to reduce the stress of the work commute—even during rush hour. Here are some solutions for traffic, road rage, boredom, and feeling like you are wasting your time. read more

6. Newyork204 profile image59
    Newyork204posted 5 years ago

If you have a Smart Phone download the App "Audible" and then open up an Audible account online.  It lets you listen to almost any book you can think of. 

I listen to several books a week while I am driving and over the course of the year you will have read or listened to over 60 books.  Think about how much you will have grown and learned instead of cursing traffic in front you.

7. yoginijoy profile image72
    yoginijoyposted 5 years ago

One activity that I like to do when the traffic seems unbearable is to sing along with a CD. I enjoy chanting--any Hindu, Buddhist, or Christian music will work. For me, it's not the words so much, as the rhythm that flows and you reach beyond yourself and your surroudings and experience another way of being.

working