jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What are your best time management tips? Things to do and not do?

1. Laurel Brunvoll profile image82
    Laurel Brunvollposted 5 years ago

What are your best time management tips? Things to do and not do?

2. wheelinallover profile image78
    wheelinalloverposted 5 years ago

Make a list each night of what you plan to accomplish the next day. Don't make the list unrealistic, just three or four projects you would like to accomplish. As you finish each check them off the list.

Create a routine if it is possible. So many minutes or hours for this or that. Stick to it. Don't schedule so much work you don't have time to live. Schedule breaks if you have to.

Avoid days over sixteen hours if possible. When you are over tired you tend to make more mistakes. It is always possible to accomplish more quickly when you are fresh.

3. CWanamaker profile image97
    CWanamakerposted 5 years ago

As the previous commenter said, make lots of lists and get organized!  I use a multitude of methods to stay organized and manage my time effectively.  I use the email and calendar tools on my phone to plan for the future and stay on task.  I also heavily use Microsoft Excel to track my finances as well as many other important things.  This prevents duplication and allows me to spend more time "doing" and less time "planning."

4. profile image55
    allthingspolishposted 5 years ago

Lists are great - it's true, even if we never get to complete all the items, they do take us forward. Which is always better than staying in place. I find inbox.com very useful as a project and time management interface, with its intuitive integration of email, calendar, notes, tasks and more in one app.

But my private advice for all of you out there looking for a time management breakthrough is to spend at least one day every 10 days or so doing nothing or very little. Bring unproductive. Disorganized. Spending time on pleasures and things. The following days are typically so much more productive.

5. kmedel profile image55
    kmedelposted 5 years ago

Lists are great but if they are anything like my handwritten grocery lists they get misplaced, left at the house/car/isle 7 at the store/etc. I've found it most effective and efficient to manage my time on something that is virtually attached to me - my iPhone! I've been using a time tracking app (TSheets.com)  and it not only organizes my time (to do list in front of me at the beginning of the day) it's a tool to reflect back on where my time was spent so I can make educated decisions on where and how to improve my time management.