Do you give a tip if the service is bad?

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (31 posts)
  1. Pamela N Red profile image82
    Pamela N Redposted 12 years ago

Do you give a tip if the service is bad?

I can't bring myself to not leave a tip even when I've gotten lousy service. I think perhaps they are having a bad day, things are happening in their life they can't control or perhaps if I leave them a tip they will give the next person better service.

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6517778_f260.jpg

2. dmop profile image79
    dmopposted 12 years ago

I must admit I still give a tip even when the service is bad, it is usually less than I would have  normally left though.

1. teaches12345 profile image75
      teaches12345posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I follow dmop's habit as well in tipping.  I give only what is required.

3. profile image0
    rmcleveposted 12 years ago

As a former sever, I definitely understand this question. Personally, I prefer customers NOT tip when the service is bad. How else am I going to know for sure that it wasn't just me you hated? It is hard to understand the social relationship and its dynamics, and servers are just as confused as your are.

If you really had a bad experience, do not tip. HOWEVER, if you do not tip, none of the other tipped staff will earn money for cleaning your table, refilling your beverages, or delivering your food. In that scenario, I usually leave a dollar or two for the bussers or you can tip the bussers directly (if the restaurant allows that).

Let the management know. Most restaurants would love to have the chance to smooth things over. Plus, if you get bad service again, you know it wasn't just a one-time thing.

4. bankscottage profile image91
    bankscottageposted 12 years ago

I almost always leave some tip unless I feel like I was completely ignored.  Sometimes I will decrease the tip.  Usually, I increase my tip for really great service.

5. Seth Winter profile image81
    Seth Winterposted 12 years ago

I've never worked in the food business. But I was a tour guide that relied on tips. As a guide I made minimum wage and tips were the only thing keeping me afloat. I think it's foolish for someone who makes tips to remind people to tip or to flaunt your tips.  I made really good tips because of this. If someone tipped me, I quickly took the money, said thanks and never brought it up after that.But I'm off track.

I don't believe you should tip if you have received bad service. If the place is jam packed or some unforeseen incident occurs which makes rendering you good service impossible bad service can be forgiven. But if the server is just not doing their jobs, then why should they be rewarded for it? That being said if I get good service I tip well.

...and all this being said there are times when you have to tip well. Ever go on a date and not tip because of bad service? No tip for the server might mean no second date. How you treat your pets, people in the service industry, and children says pages about what kind of person you are.

6. Marble Sweets profile image61
    Marble Sweetsposted 12 years ago

Since the standard is 15% for good service, if I receive lousy service, I then only tip 10% or even 5%...believe me, that sends a message because any server pays attention to that! Or you could leave one of those fake laundry coins that says "No Cash Value" HA

7. gclitty profile image80
    gclittyposted 12 years ago

I hate it when you go and get a haircut at supercuts and after they cut your hair and you line up to pay they ask you how you want your change.  The only reason they ask you how you want your change is because they know most people aren't going to tip 10$ for a 15$ haircut.  They should just leave it up to you to insist your change be in some format.  I think it bothers me because it's like they are asking for a tip indirectly and I don't know how to say no.  I always pay with a 20 and they ask me "five or ones?" and I always say "just keep the five".  Now that I think about it, it is definitely all my fault.

1. Marble Sweets profile image61
      Marble Sweetsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, I hate that set-up at Supercutz or any of the other "super cheap" haircut places. I hate it so much that I wind up finding a salon that is reasonable..but guys don't always have that option. Perhaps there's a barbershop in your neighborhood?

8. Hayley Richardson profile image80
    Hayley Richardsonposted 12 years ago

I would tip because I know it's a big part of their wage but if I had very poor service somewhere then I wouldn't ever go back and I'd tell everyone I know so that they wouldn't go there either.  It's not in my nature to make a fuss to the staff because I've worked in customer facing roles and it sucks when people complain but if it was my first time there I wouldn't give a business any second chances.

9. jpcmc profile image90
    jpcmcposted 12 years ago

I don't give tips when the service is poor.  It may be true that they may have a bad day but it's not a reason to provide poor service.

1. JamaGenee profile image77
      JamaGeneeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Exactly! Wait staff's personal lives stop at clock-in and resume at clock-out.  Everything in between belongs to the customer and putting the restaurant in the best light possible by giving GREAT service - no matter what.  Otherwise, no tip.

10. Allen Williams profile image69
    Allen Williamsposted 12 years ago

Bad service, no tip.  Tips are earned, not automatic.  That is the name of the hub that I wrote about this same topic.  I have standards when i am paying for a meal.  If the waitress is having a bad day and treats me badly because of it, I don't care.  If she cannot give me good service, I cannot give her a tip.

11. duffsmom profile image59
    duffsmomposted 12 years ago

It depends.  If they waiter/waitress makes one mistake or the restaurant is really busy I don't blame the poor service on them.  But if the restaurant isn't very busy and the waiter/waitress is just unattentive, then I don't tip.

If you are making min. wage and really need those tips, you would think they would really try to impress the customer.

12. Jeff Gamble profile image60
    Jeff Gambleposted 12 years ago

Pay for performance - I usually will do 20% if the service is outstanding and have gone without tipping for flat out lousy service.

1. JamaGenee profile image77
      JamaGeneeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Me, too.  Especially the first time at a restaurant I know I'll visit several more times. Servers who got a bigger-than-normal tip that first time will remember and give the same great service the following times. And get a bigger tip for doing so!

13. fpherj48 profile image59
    fpherj48posted 12 years ago

Having literally grown-up in the Hospitality/Restaurant Business, I have a fairly liberal attiude on tipping.  I ALWAYS leave a tip, regardless of whether the service is superb....poor....or anything in between.  However, my tip is comensurate with the particular service rating.
    What I ALSO always do is leave a "comment" on the bill.....for instance, "Appreciate your excellent service"......OR...."Service was less than acceptable.....please work on this" 
    Wait-staff work quite hard, while being required to keep smiling & be polite as well as accurate.  They make far less than minimum wage since gratuity is expected to make up the difference......Unless your server was outright rude and totally incompetent......it is NEVER OK to leave nothing.

14. kj force profile image59
    kj forceposted 12 years ago

Having traveled most of my life, I have eaten out frequently, it's not always their  fault..however..  a good server should be able to assertain the situation at kitchen. Sometimes if the kitchen is having probs..wait staff suffers..I usaully mention if there is a prob and if the server attempts to recify the situation,I will tip..HOWEVER..if no attempt is made, I leave a written message on the receipt,regarding the service, no tip, and later will write to owner/corporate, with an explanation and copy( $) of my visit.I realize servers depend on tips, but it is their job responsibility to accomodate the customer to the best of their ability.There have been times where I have notified Management of super service also, so I reward positive.
    In the long run there are good and bad servers..I only reward when someone goes beyond their job duties, that's why they call it a tip...just my thoughts..hope this helped...

15. Lady Wordsmith profile image73
    Lady Wordsmithposted 12 years ago

No, definitely not.  I've worked in restaurants, and not receiving a tip meant that I knew I'd not done a good enough, and I had to try harder with my next table. 

Most people at the moment don't have spare cash to give away (tipping isn't as common in the UK though, which is perhaps why it's easy for me to answer), and will be only too glad to withhold a tip when their waiting staff haven't made them feel welcome and valued.

Thats quite interesting...that wait staff actually think its helpful NOT to receive a tip so that they know its time to "up their game" with the next customer.

16. smzclark profile image60
    smzclarkposted 12 years ago

I've left written tips on napkins before eg. Tip: Turn your frown upside down and next time you may get some money outta me!

I'll always leave a tip if they are clearly trying their best though.

Oh, no really? Leaving a note on a napkin?

2. Georgie Lowery profile image90
      Georgie Loweryposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I've done that, and then felt badly about if afterward.

17. Georgie Lowery profile image90
    Georgie Loweryposted 12 years ago

I wont tip for awful service, it's like congratulating a job badly done. I was a cab driver for a few years and did make tips, and I did it because I gave great service.

18. californiadivorce profile image61
    californiadivorceposted 12 years ago

No, I don't give a tip if I feel that the service is not commendable.

1. onlinereputations profile image58
      onlinereputationsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I do not often tip at all.  I used to when I lived in Canada but now I am in the Philippines and tipping is not the norm here.  The same custom in Colombia where I lived a few years back.  I felt guilty at first but have learned to live with it.

19. Efficient Admin profile image86
    Efficient Adminposted 12 years ago

I always leave at least a dollar even if the service was not up to my expectations. It will not be the usual 18-20% that I try to leave.  Most of the time though I don't run into bad service. However if I order lunch to be catered for a business lunch and they show up 1/2 late or forget a few items that were ordered, and everyone is asking where is our lunch, then No they are not getting a tip.

20. Danieljohnston profile image88
    Danieljohnstonposted 12 years ago

I've dated people who were servers and decided they needed to tip other servers no matter what, and it has driven me insane. I find it ridiculous to tip someone if they have been super slow and inattentive. I've even seen someone tip a server who ignored us the whole time - we had to wave for attention, get up and go question them about remembering we were in an empty restaurant, etc. They do not deserve a tip whatsoever if they are that rude.

As for "perhaps if I leave them a tip they will give the next person better service" that is like giving a dog a treat for biting someone. If a server gets tips for doing a bad job they will not try to do a better job next time.

21. profile image0
    BethDWposted 12 years ago

I have many friends who have worked as servers, so I always tip the minimum 15% regardless of how good the service was. If your server manages to bring your food to your table, they've done 90% of their job anyway. I consider not tipping your server to be immoral, to be honest...servers don't make minimum wage, and depend on tips as a huge portion of their income and livelihoods. Half the time issues with 'service' are really issues with the quality of the food, which is completely out of the server's hands anyway. I usually tip 20-25%, and only tip the minimum (and what I consider to be mandatory) 15% if my server was unnecessarily rude, or ignored me, or was otherwise terrible.

22. Clayton Fernandes profile image78
    Clayton Fernandesposted 12 years ago

i give tips regardless, Maybe it could just change their day, even if they gave a shitty service 8-).

1. profile image0
      BethDWposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's sweet smile And also awesome.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)