working in retail

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (12 posts)
  1. profile image53
    shopgirl17posted 14 years ago

Employers are asking for more and more. I'm currently a Store Manager that has to work a MINIMUM of 45 hours a week, but only get benefited for 40.

I have to run the Store, get a minimum of 90% on Secret Shops, dust the walls and fixtures, move the fixtures to vacuum under them. I forgot to mention changing the light bulbs. For that I should have been hired at Cirque de Soleil.

I also have to make outside sales calls.

For all of this, I have accrued 3.74 hours of sick pay and 2 vacation days in 9 months.

My employer treats people worse than you'd treat a donkey.

2. steffer profile image61
    stefferposted 14 years ago

look for another job
    sounds like you have expereince
    why do something that doesn't make you happy?

Why don't you write a hub about it?

1. profile image53
      shopgirl17posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am looking for another job. There aren't any. Thanks for the welcome.

3. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 14 years ago

Working for others is a B*^ch! My best advice is to spend as much free time writing and promoting your hubs and with time you will build up a good rep here and with google. It might just be enough to free you from the full time rat race, it could even open up new opportunities to write for others freelance. If you want to maximize the potential of each hub you write the best thing you can do is read as many hubs about how to make money with your writing here, there are so many good hubs and its all free info, not like those supposed net guru's.

Welcome and all the best!

4. LRobbins profile image46
    LRobbinsposted 14 years ago

I feel for you.  I used to work in retail and had a terrible employer as well (although I know there are some good ones out there).  Hang in there and good luck with the job hunt!

1. TINA V profile image70
      TINA Vposted 14 years ago

I understand how you feel about your work.  These are  my suggestions regarding your situation.
      1.  Be thankful that you still have a job.  In today's news, the US unemployment rate already increased to 10.2%.
      2.  If you cannot find another work for now,  just keep on searching.  You will have your time.
      3.  Take it on the positive side.  Your employer might be too pushy because of the eaconomic crisis.  There were a lot of stores that were closed.  Even banks needed to be bailed out to sustain their business.
      4.  Take it as an opportunity to learn.  If the retail store has several outlets, then try to target to move to a higher position such as an Area Manager.  If not, you can still use your experience as an additional add-ons on your resume.
      Goodluck!

2. wrenfrost56 profile image56
      wrenfrost56posted 14 years ago

Sorry to here you are having such a hard time, good luck on finding a new job and then you can stick it to the man or woman! wink Welcome to hubpages and chin up!

3. Market Magnet profile image38
      Market Magnetposted 14 years ago

I would love to know where you work?  They need to be reported to your state employment agency.  First of all the are required to compensate you for the time you have put in. 

I know that if you are salary some employers will take more liberty with your time. Leave when your time is up and if there is a problem request hourly wages or overtime. 

Nevertheless, they owe you compensation for the time spent working.  Check into this soon. 

Does you employer realize what all you do?  Maybe they don't and you have taken on more than you need to.  Learn to delegate more to others, you are the manager. 

If the employer has made cuts in staff you need to discuss with them how they plan to have all that is required to be accomplished.  They must see the problem and truly there are many people that would do anything to help you out. 

Unfortunately, if it is a small business you are lucky that you are receiving sick and vacation leave.  They are not required to offer this.   

As a past small business owner, the people that worked for me were my best asset.  They were the ones that knew my customers and interacted with them. They were fully compensated for what they did and we did it together. We had fun and our customers always knew this. 

If the employer doesn't care or isn't willing to help you, start looking now while you are still employed.  I know that employment is very important right now but truly working under these circumstances is not necessary.

Be positive and look for ways to lighten your load and again make sure that you are being paid accordingly.

One more thing... don't leave angry when you leave.  Give all you have to the bitter end.  You never know when that employer will be the one to help you out in the end.

Good luck, you can change your circumstances..

4. profile image56
      Rosa Bergerposted 14 years ago

I am sorry to hear that your employer is exploiting you. I think the first thing you should do is exploring what your responsibilities are. Possibly, changing light bulbs is not part of it. Talk to your superiors to make it clear to them what you can do for the business and dusting walls is probably not the best way to use your skills.

The second thing is that you should research state and federal law to see what rights you have concerning sick leave and vacation time.

And third, network and let people know that you are looking for opportunities to move on. Take advantage of the online websites that let you put your cv online.

While one should be grateful for a job in economic times like this, stress can also be detrimental to your life. Take control of the situation. Good luck!

5. ColeenB profile image62
      ColeenBposted 14 years ago

The job market is really tough right now. When things start to pick up, employers who haven't treated their employees well will lose their best and brightest.

In the meantime, I'd like to echo what Market Magnet said. Put on a positive attitude and do your best. You probably won't need a reference from this job for your next one (because they'll understand that your current employer doesn't know you're leaving).  But you'll need it for the next one. If you were great until the very end and left on good terms, they'll think highly of you. Also, when you do leave, don't tell them it's because the job is crummy, tell them that you were offered more money, a chance to advance, whatever it is that the current job can't offer you. They can't fault you for that.

When you're interviewing, don't tell them all the bad things about your job. They'll think that if you're dissatisfied with this job, you'd probably be dissatisfied at a new job too. Tell them how flexible you are - that you can do anything a job requires. When they ask why you're looking for a new job, tell them that you want better pay and benefits, opportunity for growth, something positive.

Good luck!

6. dejajolie profile image61
      dejajolieposted 14 years ago

I use to work in retail, and yes the hours were long, I worked most holidays, and the customers were rude, but the pay and benefits (for me, were great). So, I sacrificed my weekends off and holildays with family for a few years because I knew it was a means to an end. I made the choice to take a leap and move into non-profit while pursuing my entrepreneur venture, and while I have more flexibility I miss the pay and benefits.

So, I say to you, grass isn't always greener, and in most things you will be sacrificing one thing or another. Good Luck!

7. MikeNV profile image67
      MikeNVposted 14 years ago

Who is to blame?  If you don't like your job change it.  In Las Vegas there are 135,000 people who are officially unemployed. Times are tough. But the only person who can change your life is you.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)