jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

Why oldest children tend to make better bosses/supervisors than either middle an

1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 5 years ago

Why oldest children tend to make better bosses/supervisors than either middle and/or

youngest children?   Oldest children are often given responsibilities from early childhood.   He/she is often responsible in looking after younger siblings.   He/she is held to a stricter and higher standard of behavior.   He/she often have the shortest childhoods imaginable.   All of this behavior makes the oldest child mature beyond his/her years and very responsible.

2. lburmaster profile image82
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

Because the birth order gives each child a position in the family. The oldest turns into a leader and a model for the other children and are pushed more by the parents than the other children. The middle child knows how to work with people. They tend to get along with everyone and are joksters to calm the situation. The last child is often spoiled and lax in discipline. However, each position has their own pros and cons. There are many books on the subject that would be good for you to look into.

gmwilliamsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I am well aware of this.   I have many books on the subject of birth order and have written many hubs on the subject including birth order in the workplace.    I just wanted people's take on the subject on hand.  Thank you for your response!

3. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

I personally believe that the extra time and complete attention that the first child receives from parents creates a responsible, and self-assured individual (generally speaking).

gmwilliamsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, duffsmom, always feel free to stop by!

4. Pauline Davenport profile image61
    Pauline Davenportposted 5 years ago

I guess they're born bossy to keep the rest in order. It's a huge responsibility being the oldest - you have to keep your end up. The upside for the younger ones is that they always have someone to look out for them in fights, bullying  and the like- as I said - a huge responsibility, and it lasts all through life. I still stick up for my little brother and he's 56, and probably still boss him around too.......

working