jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

Any tips for conducting a long distance job search?

1. profile image71
    ElleBeeposted 5 years ago

Any tips for conducting a long distance job search?

I am currently an Americorps volunteer, starting to look at more job options for when my service is over. I am single and have no kids, so basically most of the country is game for my job search.  Any tips for when you're applying for a job from afar?  I'm a little worried about the logisitcs of relocation, or scheduling/attending interviews when I'm on a very tight budget.

2. isenhower33 profile image78
    isenhower33posted 5 years ago

Depending on your resume', a lot of beyond entry level positions have interviews through skype or on the phone if you tell them that you are coming from another state. There are a ton of search engines for that type of search as well. Everything is online when it comes to job postings. You should really think about where you want to go. What do you want to spend on rent? Do you want to live in the warmth or near an ocean? If you like warm weather and cheaper prices head to Florida, if you dont mind prices, San diego Cali is the most beautiful place, nice people, and lots of things to do. Im in the process as well of applying for jobs far away. I want to move back out to Cali and a lot of places out there will do phone interviews.

1. profile image71
      ElleBeeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Yeah - I detest heat so Florida is out for me! I most likely will stick with the Northeast and/or Midwest (both of which I lived in before)... as for the rent/expenses thing its just impt that my income and expenses are in a good ratio

3. profile image0
    Sarra Garrettposted 5 years ago

Register on LinkedIn.com.  This is a great resource for finding jobs when you are relocating. You can connect with various companies and people  plus you can find headhunters in the expertise you are looking for.

1. profile image71

Yes linkedin is great! I have been using it for about two years now, and its definitely helpful.

4. StandingJaguar profile image79
    StandingJaguarposted 5 years ago

Indeed.com lists many job postings, but you will probably need to decide either 1) what kind of job are you looking for? or 2) where are you looking for work (what state/city)? If you provide a cover letter you can explain your readiness and ability to move for the right job.

1. profile image71

Yes indeed.com is great.  I am focused more on #1 than #2 right now, as I'd be willing to relocate almost anywhere in the Northeast or Midwest.  Good suggestion on explaining my readiness to move in cover letter.

5. Life and Luxury profile image83
    Life and Luxuryposted 5 years ago

Phone interviews are common for long-distance jobs, though not all employers will comply. If you do a phone interview, a land line will be your best bet because they have the least occurances of interference and dropped calls. However, if your employer wants a WebEx or similar video chat, be aware you could run into connection and dropped calls with this media as well.

As for location, consider concentrating on a city that will give you plenty of options in one place -- New York City. Number one, you won't need a car. Number two, there are an incredible amount of job listings in the city. In a vulnerable economy it might be a good idea to relocate to a spot where there are boundless employers and opportunities surrounding you.

1. profile image71

Very good point about cities having more job opportunities. The info on phone interviews is exactly what I was looking for.

working