jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

How has technology changed your life? And do you view that change as positive or

1. Ricki-Lee Keeley profile image84
    Ricki-Lee Keeleyposted 17 months ago

How has technology changed your life? And do you view that change as positive or negative?

How has the development of technology changed your life and the way you live. Do you feel this change is positive or negative, and how have you adapted?

2. Alessio Ganci profile image83
    Alessio Ganciposted 17 months ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13201989_f260.jpg

I am born with technology, so I cannot see particular changes in my life (I saw big changes maybe when I started to use smartphones, tablets and I had the opportunity to connect with fast Internet connections). I think many technologic changes should be seen as positive, as technology is improving our lives, making them easier. Obviously, a positive thing like technology can also be used in a negative way, but in general I think these changes should be seen in a positive view.

3. Paxash profile image100
    Paxashposted 17 months ago

When I was growing up, computers were around, but they weren't nearly as ubiquitous as they are now. I guess it was because I was so young as technology rapidly approached where we are now, but I don't think there was any process of adapting for me. If there was something new I just learned how to use it pretty much immediately.

Technology being where it is now has definitely been a positive for me, personally. I'm only able to work and make something resembling a living because I'm able to work online. I'm currently too sick and experimenting with too many medications to work a job outside the house, so I'd have nothing if I didn't have technology that enabled me to work from home.

4. tamarawilhite profile image92
    tamarawilhiteposted 17 months ago

It was technology like the washing machine, dishwasher, vacuum cleaner, microwave oven that allowed women to do housework in a few hours a week and thus move out into the workplace.
    And it is only after women were often in the workplace earning similar wages to men that their economic value and then social value started to be seen as similar to men.

I also value technology because that's what brought down infant mortality rates. Hard to have women's equality if she has to be at home birthing 6 children in the hope 2 grow up. (Historic norm before safe running water, vaccines and antibiotics was having 7-8 children and having 2.0-2.3 grow up.) Those same developments increased life expectancy from the 50s for those who survived childhood to the 70s. I want to live in a world where strep throat isn't almost certainly NOT going to kill my child, where ear infections rarely lead to deafness, childbirth almost never kills.

5. dashingscorpio profile image88
    dashingscorpioposted 17 months ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13217856_f260.jpg

Generally speaking technology is designed to make our lives easier.
    Cars replaced the horse and buggy, indoor plumbing replaced outhouses, the Internet/email/fax/text increased the speed of communication. Social media has created low cost revenue streams.
    Online shopping/banking, DVRs, & even dating sites give people the option to do things at their leisure as opposed to having restrictions. There's not a day I don't go to Google for something!
    I can't imagine grabbing a yellow pages telephone book to look up a business number in this day and age. Information is at our fingertips.
    I like being able to research products and read reviews before buying.

working