Cowards on HubPages

Jump to Last Post 1-33 of 33 discussions (77 posts)
  1. Peter Hoggan profile image67
    Peter Hogganposted 15 years ago

I recently made a post on a hub entitled 'Cowards on HubPages' The post was denied with this explanation:

I have denied some comments here because they contain only personal derrision and although the forums will not be moderated, evidently, I will moderate my pages. Disagreement and opposing views are no problem, but personal attacks are. You might as well not even try that here, Marisa and Peter.

Here is the post that was denied

There are definitely a few hubbers that don’t take critical comments well, especially those who post overly promotional hubs. There are also a good number of hubbers that are quick to post unnecessarily derogatory remarks.

In this case, however, the assumptions made by recraig2 are entirely wrong and the tone of hub says much about his character. This hub, in my opinion, identifies him as one of the very people he seems to be pointing his finger at. i.e. infantile

2. Peter Hoggan profile image67

Anyone else being censored please feel free to post here.

1. Lady Guinevere profile image67
      Lady Guinevereposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Oh yeah I am censored all over the place on the hubs and in forums.  They just don't like what I say and they have even called me names.

2. profile image57
      panah100posted 15 years agoin reply to this

Peter, I may be young and naive, but censorship is nothing new to me. It happens all the time, and I believe sometimes its necessary (dealing with folks who shouldn't be online). And aggressive marketers never learn. So what can you do?

3. Mark Knowles profile image58
    Mark Knowlesposted 15 years ago

He is a troll and appears to be here just to fight. big_smile

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/10090

I am not sure starting another argument in the forums is going to do you a lot of good though. I for one think people should be allowed to delete whatever comments they choose from their own hubs.

Like I always say to anyone who starts fighting on my hubs or blogs -

I am the one with the "delete" button - therefore I get to have the last word lol

4. Peter Hoggan profile image67

Mark, I tend to agree with what you say and have had comments blocked before which I just ignored. However, in this instance the grounds for the original complaint were completely unfounded and resulted in fellow hubbers being called infantile. What I find hypocritical, and the reason for this side thread, is the fact that when his actions are called infantile by another hubber the comment is censored. Secondly, he used my name in connection with an attack of personal derision which needs to be cleared up.

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
      Mark Knowlesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Well, even though we are on the internet, there are still libel laws around. big_smile

I just do not think you are going to get this sort of person to give in. They feed on fighting and animosity. They like nothing better than upsetting people and watching their reactions.

It is obvious he is just here to sow dissent and discord. I spotted him the moment I read his profile page. With a little luck he will attack the wrong person and get himself deleted lol

5. jimmythejock profile image82
    jimmythejockposted 15 years ago

Can I stop cowering in the corner yet? is he gone.....jimmy

I always knew you Indian elves were cowards deep down big_smile

1. jimmythejock profile image82
        jimmythejockposted 15 years agoin reply to this

You know me so well Mark, lol.....jimmy yikes

2. VENUGOPAL SIVAGNA profile image61
        VENUGOPAL SIVAGNAposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Dont you think it is not fair to say "Indian elves were cowards"?  Your bravery need not be shown in Hub Pages.

This was a joke in reference to another thread.

Do you have elves in India?

1. VENUGOPAL SIVAGNA profile image61

No Indian elves in India.  Some may have come from somewhere.

2. Misha profile image64
          Mishaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for the giggles lol

6. conflictuniverse profile image58
    conflictuniverseposted 15 years ago

I see Mark is still in the forums giving people a hard time for no reason.

You seriously need to get a woman Mark, and you Jimmy, his faithful pet.

1. jimmythejock profile image82
      jimmythejockposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Oh dear I think someone needs a sense of humor transplant, and to stop acting like a spoiled brat, maybe you should rethink your strategy and grow up a little.....jimmy
      P.S thankyou for the wonderful insult I really appreciate it, maybe next time you will think of a funny name to call me.

1. conflictuniverse profile image58
        conflictuniverseposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I don't really find people ganging up on newbies funny to be honest. So you, and your master should get another hobby. Perhaps pushing old ladies on front of cars or something

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
          Marisa Wrightposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I'm sorry, but I have to agree.  Mark and Misha, I love you to bits and some of the stuff you do is very funny - but I do think things have gone a bit far.  Yes, there is the odd idiots who posts on these forums, but deliberately baiting them only makes it worse.  You may think you are having a bit of harmless amusement making fun of them, but what we end up with is long threads full of hate. 

Newbies who arrive in the forum don't always understand what the spammers did to deserve such invective, so they get the impression everyone on the forum is nasty to newbies.

Let's not paint such a horrible picture of HubPages, it's not like that at all!

1. VENUGOPAL SIVAGNA profile image61

"Yes, there are idiots who post on these forums, but...."   
            Is this the contribution of Marisa Wright to make newbies hate HP ?

Not at all Venugopal.  It's an indisputable fact that on any forum, you will find idiots who arrive and make nonsensical or inflammatory or brazenly self-promotional posts.  I am not referring to any particular Hubber or anyone who has posted on this thread - I'm making a general statement about one of the realities of internet forums.  That's all.

1. Misha profile image64

So, how exactly you suggest to deal with that problem?

Well, you may have noticed that baiting and making fun of them doesn't make them go away - it only makes them angry, and then a lot of nasty things are said on both sides.

If you're sure they're idiots, ignoring them and letting their thread die is probably the best option.  If you're not sure whether they're genuine or fake, you could give them the benefit of the doubt for a post or two.

1. Misha profile image64

Well, I guess the difference among us is you assume people don't change. If they are nice - they are nice, if they are idiots - they are idiots. Forever. With that assumption, your position makes some sense - why bother?

Can't say for Mark, but I assume that people do change actually, and sometimes pretty fast. I think even here on HP we saw several examples of people coming here all guns blazing playing idiots and becoming respected members of the community after a cold shower. We help them to change, and I think it's a worthy deed. smile

On the other hand, I am not buying into "supporting Hubpages reputation". I had more than enough of this line back in USSR, always without exception used to restrict my freedom/rights. Since then, I don't care about reputation of any community I belong to, be it family, neighborhood, city, country, nation - you name it. I only care about my own one. Community reputation will take care of itself. smile

Now, about what you mentioned on another thread about driving newbies away. Frankly, I don't care either. If people don't understand what the fight is about on those threads, they probably should not be online, and I definitely am not interested in having them around. Yes, there are probably some would be hubbers who would have been evolved into valuable community members. This is the cost of keeping this community as enjoyable and vibrant as it is now, and I am willing to pay it. smile

Try to look at it as an entry barrier. Yes, it does not weed out all idiots unfortunately, and it does weed out some worthy people - but it does its job on average and makes this community what it is - one of the best in town for people who think for themselves smile

7. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 15 years ago

"I see Mark is still in the forums giving people a hard time for no reason".
    "conflictuniverse"
    Is this irony or what.

Idiot, the fact that I said " "I see Mark is still ... " means that I have witnesses it time and time again. As for me, this is the first time I had said anything

congrats, this post makes it my second time

8. gamergirl profile image84
    gamergirlposted 15 years ago

ROFL what is the deal lately with these people coming through accusing folks with full lives behind them and full lives ahead of them of having none?

9. gamergirl profile image84

First you spam the forums, now you're making personal attacks on people for no reason.  You don't really like it here, do you?

10. conflictuniverse profile image58

Hubpages users have a rep for being rude, and unhelpful.
    So far,  I haven't seen anything to prove this statement wrong.
    I would love to be proven wrong though

1. Lazur profile image70
      Lazurposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Tadaaaaa!!  How can I help you? cool

11. knolyourself profile image60

Lets make it a 3 timer. "Idiot". Now you owe me.
    "As for me, this is the first time I had said anything "
    Cause must be u have nuthin to say.

12. conflictuniverse profile image58

You really have no freedom here.

You can't do this, you can't do that.
    No wonder Squidoo people are so much more friendly, and helpful, they aren't caged by crappy rules, or harassed by stuffy old men with nothing to do

lol

Guess you must have been here in another persona then?

Forexmaster? lol

13. knolyourself profile image60

"I don't really find people ganging up on newbies funny to be honest."
    Then maybe you should try-on a new mouth.

That makes no sense at all.
      Congrats on building 18 lenses in 12 month by the way.
      Perhaps if you spent less time on the forums being a smart ass, you might have 3 times that many by now and actually making some money.

Then again, you don't seem the intelligent type.

14. gamergirl profile image84

STOP.

Just stop.

There's no need to behave like this.  Please just move on, go about your merry way.

15. conflictuniverse profile image58

Join Tags-I-Like and makes some posts please smile

16. gamergirl profile image84

Please don't spam our forums.

Sorry, I didn't realize you was the owner

Sir, Your attitude is the exact one the you say that you don't like.  Now I have only been in this forum topic a shor time.  You are complaining that *everyone* is rude here?  I ask of you how many have you really found rude.  It can't be all of us and it is rude to assume what you are assuming.  There are over thousands of members here--have you asked anything of all of them to come to your rediculous conclusion?

2. gamergirl profile image84
        gamergirlposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I'm not the owner, conflictuniverse - I'm just a HubFreak who doesn't like what you're doing right here, right now.  You post threads advertising your website, then come here in this thread and knock and two decent people, present yourself with a very poor attitude, and then expect us to all recoil in apology because you think Squidoo folks are more awesome.

I think the people I meet are better judged based off themselves, not the site they frequent the most or where you met them first.

Whatever the reason for your negative and cruddy outbursts, I hope you stop them soon, otherwise you're just going to see yourself be ignored, bashed on for your own antics, or who knows what else.

It's the holiday season, there shouldn't be this much anger thrown at anybody.

17. Misha profile image64
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

Where is this newbie to stomp on? lol

1. Lazur profile image70

Don't hurt me please lol

18. jimmythejock profile image82
    jimmythejockposted 15 years ago

I know my place conflictuniverse, You insult me and I am not allowed to retort so like a good boy I will not reply to your petty ranting any further, take care and at least try to get into the community spirit have a nice Christmas and chill out.....jimmy

19. Zsuzsy Bee profile image85
    Zsuzsy Beeposted 15 years ago

What is going on? Why are all these weirdos coming in here complaining. Doesn't it make sense to move on from some place where you do not enjoy yourself? I checked out squidoo last year and didn't much like it, so do I go and attack people there? No...I do not go back there... I stick with what I like, Hubpages.

Here is a brain wave for you 'ConflictUnivers' an easy solution. I'm surprised a smaaart fellow like you hasn't thought of it yet... Go away from this aweful forum

20. Misha profile image64
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

You? yikes

Never! I never hurt women Lazur, cause for some reason I love them all smile

<watch the language, even in jest>

1. Lazur profile image70

*sigh* roll

No, Misha is the <watch the language, even in jest>. wink

Didn't mean to suggest anything towards you.......

Nice hat though big_smile

2. VioletSun profile image80
          VioletSunposted 15 years agoin reply to this

wink hehe.

1. Misha profile image64

Violet, you new avatar is really cute smile

1. VioletSun profile image80
              VioletSunposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Thank you! Felt it was time for a change. smile

2. Misha profile image64

Never pretended I am not tongue

21. knolyourself profile image60

"where Squidoo lensmasters and Hubpage authors can hang out,"
    Not lookin' like it.

22. conflictuniverse profile image58

Lazur, is that your real picture, cause that's hot

1. Lazur profile image70

My face is real big_smile I won't expose the rest of my body otherwise Mark is going to suggest things, like saying I'm wearing a nice hat or something lol lol roll

I checked you out on your blog. Me likey

23. Lady Guinevere profile image67
    Lady Guinevereposted 15 years ago

Not to be off topic, but how are you all getting those smilies on your responses?

24. conflictuniverse profile image58

beats me big_smile

Smart ass :p

25. Lady Guinevere profile image67
    Lady Guinevereposted 15 years ago

tongue tongue tongue

26. Marlene F. profile image68
    Marlene F.posted 15 years ago

I am a Newbie here.  Is this all for real or a joke?  Sorry for being so seemingly naive, but I truely am......?????

27. VENUGOPAL SIVAGNA profile image61
    VENUGOPAL SIVAGNAposted 15 years ago

A general clean up of Hub Pages may be necessary, if it is to survive.  People with animosity towards a group of people or a country or a religion should find no place there.  People with impartial sense will only will suit such a public forum like this.  Only "courageous"  people are needed here.

Well, I guess I'm staying then

28. Miranda Rights profile image61
    Miranda Rightsposted 15 years ago

Newbies are the pond scum of the HubPages ecosystem. They exist only to be fed upon by apex hubbers.

1. Misha profile image64

I think you managed to escape this fate somehow wink

1. profile image0
        Leta Sposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Naw, you just need to know how to talk to the 'apexers,' then they turn into angels and saints.  smile

1. Miranda Rights profile image61
          Miranda Rightsposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Plus I offered a sacrificial hub as to please the apexers... (it's less messy than burnt flesh, and you can put the adsense on it!)

1. profile image0
            Leta Sposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Excellent technique, Miranda!  lol wink

2. profile image57
      panah100posted 15 years agoin reply to this

You lost me at ecosystem. What were you saying again?

29. Marlene F. profile image68

OK...So I guess in only 3 weeks I have found a way to offend someone.  I apologize.  Guess I'll stick to writing Hubs instead of exploring the site to learn more about the people on it...I am very new to this and my last intent was to upset or offend.  Also, I have no idea what an apexer is, so if I have done something wrong I would love for someone to let me know.  Thank you.

See what I mean, guys?    Marlene, I hope we can make you feel welcome on HubPages - sorry you got caught up in this business.  Give it time, and you'll find we're not all ogres after all!

30. Marlene F. profile image68

Marisa,
    Thank you.  I also appreciate you giving me the advice about the photos.  I didn't know that there were on-line photos that I was allowed to use.  I thought they had to be personal pictures.  Thank you for helping me out.

31. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 15 years ago

No, Marlene-

No worries!  Much of this here is in double entendre with people just having fun. 

I admit they did come on a little strong with me (well, one) when I first tumbled on the forums, but I am who I say I am and do what I say I do.  A lot of the brusqueness has to do with scammers and spammers and people trying to convert others to their religious views, etc.

There are some nuts on here, but after you get used to them, you'll know how to avoid them...  There are also some very intelligent and well read people on Hubpages.  Some excellent writers.

smile

32. Miranda Rights profile image61
    Miranda Rightsposted 15 years ago

To be serious for a second, Hub Pages is probably one of the least spammed and most friendly forums on the interwebs. If you think Misha or Mark are rough then you haven't been very far.... most places happily textually dismember foolish newbies for their amusement... by comparison the harshest comments around here don't even amount to a slap on the wrist...

I guess what I want to say is zomg, harden up, this place is awesome... and sometimes everyone needs a little tough love

33. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 15 years ago

I'm sure there is space for everybody...  Best (for me) is just to give others space.  I'm not that offended by differing opinions. 

What I thought, when first on here, is that there are some very professional people on here--what do I want to say?  Serious writers, etc.?  And people who are who they say they are and do whatever they profess to do (man, you gotta to if you are using your actual name).  And I was expecting it to be more across the board.  I made my way in the print media for years, so--  It's a different world from internet.

But viva la difference!  And there are some great people of all types on here.

Just need to avoid (or change!) the trolls.  smile

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)