IMPLEMENTED: Creating hubs from IPad

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (21 posts)
  1. Cameron Conner profile image62
    Cameron Connerposted 11 years ago

I often use my iPad for checking in on hubpages and other various networks that I belong to. However I have found that I am unable to work on my hubs with my iPad. I don't really know what the glitch is. I am guessing it is coming from Apple's side however it would be great if hubpages could work around this or come up with an iPad app that would allow me to work on my hubs from my iPad.

Cameron Connerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

GreekGeek just posted a forum stating in detail what is working now and what is still not working.
      Here is the link.
      http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/102625

2. WryLilt profile image89
    WryLiltposted 11 years ago

FAQ:

Can I use HubPages on my mobile phone?
    The HubPages website is optimized for mobile browsing and limited interaction, such as uploading photos, status updates, posting in the Forums, commenting, and asking questions.

HubPages also has a mobile app for the iPhone, and we hope to roll out versions for other popular mobile platforms in the future. The current iPhone app has robust functionality for the Feed (post and comment on status updates, Hubs, Forums, etc.), Notifications and Stats (approve Comments and Fan Mail, ask/answer Questions, and monitor earnings), Hub Hopping (discover and rate new Hubs), and uploading photos. You can download the iPhone app from the App Store.

Yeah, I use my iPad for a lot of stuff here and it is great. I'm just saying it would be nice to actually be able to work on my hubs a little. I can't seem to get the text to work when creating a hub with my iPad. I don't know about the iPhone stuff. I use it a little but for very basic stuff. The iPad is more or less my laptop. I tend to use it more than my desktop. Like I said though, the problem is probably on Apple's side. I have found a lot of basic functions on many different sites that simply will not work with it.

3. MickiS profile image74
    MickiSposted 11 years ago

Me, too, Cameron!

As you have found, currently the HubTool does not work on the iPad. We do have someone on our engineering team working on this right now. If it's relatively simple and straighforward, you will soon be able to edit your Hubs on your iPad.

Stay tuned, and I will update this thread when/if there is progress.

Thank you for letting me know. I really do use my IPad alot and it would be increadable if I was able to edit my hubs from it. I hope everything works out.

2. Lwelch profile image83
      Lwelchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I look forward to it.  I would really like this feature!

4. Kangaroo_Jase profile image75
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 11 years ago

This is something thats been on the cards for HP HQ for quite a significant amount of time (scroll through and find some old requests from previous forums about this)

Its the PC/MAC vs mobile issue.

With PC desktops, laptops, Macs etc it is relatively straight forward and pretty much a non issue to use HubPages on, its a real HTML5 easy format to work with.

The issue is when you go mobile. HTML5 and other technical aspects for using internet interfaces and tecnologies are not quite 'fully matured' on mobile platforms. Not just for iPhones/iPads but for other smartphones and tablets too.

I personally have an iPhone, but I use often a Samsung Galaxy Tab and a desktop PC using Windows Vista. So I can hub with one out of the three technologies currently/

5. profile image0
    WhydThatHappenposted 11 years ago

In the meantime, there are apps that let you run your desktop from your idevice! I use antacea easy connect which is simple and works great- no crashing and stuff. You buy the app, download the software, and voila! You can work on hubpages if you are connected to your computer over the internet.

1. profile image0
      WhydThatHappenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think there are open-source (free) softwares out there that do the same job, but they tend to be way more complex

6. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 11 years ago

I run an alternative browser on my IPad and have full-functionality with the interface except for Photo uploads.  If I want to add a photo to a Hub I can add one that is already in my account, but it won't work for some other photo on my iPad.

1. profile image0
      WhydThatHappenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Which browser?

2. Cameron Conner profile image62

I would love to know which browser you are using. This could really help out a lot of hubpage users.

7. MickiS profile image74

This suggestion is partially resolved. You can edits to most capsules in Hubs from the iPad. You cannot, however, upload pictures. Currently, the Photo Capsule relies on Adobe Flash which doesn't work on iPad.

In short, some progress, but not to full supported yet.

Thank you for this update. Please keep us informed of any further progress.

1. MickiS profile image74
        MickiSposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Will do.

8. Greekgeek profile image78
    Greekgeekposted 11 years ago

Hey, folks, I created a Hub from scratch on my iPad (on which I'm typing now), and figured out a way to get pictures to work. See the newest hub on my profile, if you're curious.

Micki: Two things are not working in the Text Capsule.

1. the LINK buttons' popup pane. Flash problems, maybe?
    2. Copy and paste. You can't select a chunk of text, copy it, and paste it somewhere else, nor can you paste anything from elsewhere. (In fact, that may be the problem with the link button; it's not letting me paste OR type a URL.)

Other capsules that let you enter a URL seem to work fine.

Bravo on giving us the basics. With this, we can do just about everything we need while the code gurus bang on Flash for the tricky bits.

So now we can leave our laptops at home!

It might be a fun way to record a travel diary while on a trip, eh?

GreekGeek, great news! I'm curious how you got photos to upload?

Would you mind posting these two issues to the Report  a Technical Problem forum? This way, Matthew sees it and files a bug report?

1. Greekgeek profile image78
        Greekgeekposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Micki: the "Upload" function in the Photo Capsule isn't working on an iPad, but the "Import" function DOES work!

So if you have some way to upload a photo from your iPad to anywhere on web -- I use an app called FTP Client Pro and upload pictures to my own website -- and can copy the uploaded photo's URL, you can import it into a Hub using the "import" tab.

And yes, I'll do a write-up of what I found with my experimenting and give it to the coding gurus.  It was fun playing around!

Ah! Thanks for the workaround, Greekgeek.

9. MickiS profile image74

Just posting an update that copy/paste in the text capsule now works on the iPad.

The Links Capsule relies on flash, per your other request.

I think we've done what we can for now to get Hub creation and editing functional from the iPad until there is a major overhaul of how the HubTool works. As such, I'm going to mark this thread as "Implemented," but if you have new ideas or suggestions for cool things to do on the iPad, do start a new thread.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)