jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (12 posts)

SUGGESTION: Allow us to answer fanmail

1. Daughter Of Maat profile image98
    Daughter Of Maatposted 5 years ago

Most authors answer their readers' fanmail. I've received several notes from followers that were so thoughtful that I'd like to be able to answer them without having to go through their profile and send an email.

It would be nice to be able to reply to our fanmail like we do to our comments.

1. Marisa Wright profile image99
      Marisa Wrightposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Great idea.   I am very particular about whom I follow, so it would be great to have some other way of acknowledging a new fan.  Especially if they make a comment in their fan mail that really needs an answer.

2. Sherry Hewins profile image97
    Sherry Hewinsposted 5 years ago

That's a good idea. I've often felt the same way. I go to one of their hubs and comment on it when I get fanmail. Maybe that's better for them anyway, they get a pageview and comment.

Daughter Of Maatposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I usually do the same, but sometimes it's nice to get a personal response, especially when the comment is especially thoughtful. I'd probably still read and comment on one of their hubs anyway big_smile

3. lorddraven2000 profile image92
    lorddraven2000posted 5 years ago

I think this is a splended idea.

Thank you, I've been thinking about it for awhile, but I didn't think anyone else would be interested. I'm glad to know I was wrong! big_smile

4. rebekahELLE profile image88
    rebekahELLEposted 5 years ago

I usually read a couple of their hubs and leave a comment as a thank you if I feel they're a genuine follower.

5. relache profile image89
    relacheposted 5 years ago

When someone leaves me a fan mail and I want to reply to them I can,

1) leave them a fan mail of my own
    2) send them a direct email
    3) go to a Hub of theirs and comment, or even have an entire conversation

Why do we need a fourth way to communicate with people here? (or even a fifth if you count the forums)  That seems redundant...

6. Daughter Of Maat profile image98
    Daughter Of Maatposted 5 years ago

All of the social media websites have a direct messaging system. If you want to talk to someone directly, you can do so through both facebook and twitter.

With the new profiles there is no way to send an email like there was on the old profile, and I think messaging the person through the forum would be inappropriate, especially if the mail they left was of a personal nature.

Leaving a fanmail of your own means you have to follow them. What if I don't want to follow them, but still feel their fanmail deserves an answer?

Going to a hub and commenting is not a direct answer to their fanmail, and if you are answering a fanmail on one of their hubs I don't think that's appropriate either. Some of these fanmails are quite personal, and while I currently try to use the email system, with the new profiles that is becoming difficult. I don't see anything redundant about having a direct messaging system.

1. Sherry Hewins profile image97
      Sherry Hewinsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I found it quite confusing when I first came to HubPages that I would get these lovely encouraging messages in fanmail and not be able to reply. I felt sure that I was just missing something that should have been obvious.

I agree, and the longer I'm here at HP, the more personal the fanmails seem to become, and the more I find myself looking for an easier way to answer them!

1. peachpower profile image60
          peachpowerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

What a terrific idea!! I would love to see that feature. As someone relatively new here, I doubt my opinion matters too much... But still, an excellent idea!!

working