People who post recipes online...or anything for that matter...Jeez!

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (31 posts)
  1. Cardisa profile image88
    Cardisaposted 11 years ago

I thought Food.com was supposed to be a good site to get real recipes. Apparently they make up stuff as they go along just like some other people on the internet.

Traffic to my best recipe hub has fallen by more than 80% so I decided to check if any one has stolen my hub (not necessarily the recipe).

I found a recipe on Food.com with a similar title and decided to check it out. The recipe claimed to be an authentic Jamaican recipe and to my surprise not only were the ingredients all wrong and the method too, but the recipe has a five star rating! Some of the reviews were awful as one person said the coconut made the dish disgusting which in fact no coconut is supposed to be in that dish.

How can a reputable site allow a recipe to be posted that claims it is authentic without checking to make sure?

The online thing is getting to me as I realize the people getting traffic aren't the ones with genuine articles but the ones with crap.

Here on Hubpages I have found numerous ao called Jamaican recipe crap that make lots of money. Most of these people have never even eaten Jamaican food let alone been to Jamaica!

1. gmwilliams profile image84
      gmwilliamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Cardisa, I am SO with you on this!   If one post a recipe and/or writes a hub about it, please know what you are talking and list authentic and/or workable ingredients.     Even though I cook,  I cook helter skelter i.e. I cook from the heart and seldom measure ingredients.    I just shake and pinch until the food tastes good!

Cardisaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Gmwilliams, the recipes I am most angry about are the ones that claim to be authentic to a certain culture and they are not.

2. moonlake profile image85
      moonlakeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I found one of my cooking pictures on a recipe that was not mine. The recipe was completely different but the picture they used was taken in my kitchen.

That is just wrong. Have you copyrighted your photos? You can upload them to Flickr and place the copyright notice on it so if someone uses it without permission you can have them remove it.

1. moonlake profile image85
          moonlakeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I complained and they took the picture down. Took them a few days but they got it down. I did have to send them two emails.

3. fpherj48 profile image60
      fpherj48posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Cardisa......I hear you my dear!  If only "recipes" were the only inaccurate hubs written... Please believe me, I have read hubs on particular forms of mental illness that I was appalled and shocked with!!  Were the person who wrote some of these, an authentic, licensed professional, they would surely have their license pulled.   They are quite obviously written by your "average joe"......or someone thinking they know what they're talking about.    In the first place, something as SERIOUS as understanding mental illness.......should be presented by Professionals only.......Non-professionals, please stick to any other topic!     I understand your frustration!

I too have read crap on the internet when it comes to health and other issues. We have to be so careful where we get our information when we research or we also run the risk of writing crap. It happened to me the hard way.

2. tsmog profile image85
        tsmogposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Quick notation. Licensed psychologists are a small percentage of the professionals within the 56 different categories or professions of psychology. Most are in research, applied psychology, and even advertising attracts many within that field today. It can be fact checked at American Psychological Association (APA) or even at FRED, Federal Reserve Economic Data. Or, they are not licensed by any regulatory State agency. Professional ethics may enter the picture and which organization membership is adhered to.

4. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

This doesn't just apply to recipes or mental health articles.  I've found articles on selling your gold that are SO full of misinformation!  When I told the HP author about it, instead of accepting my comments and making changes, she got really ugly with me.  So, I wrote one of my own that is full of correct info.  I am a licensed dealer in precious metals and just couldn't stand the level of bias and misinformation that was being handed out...especially from someone who was giving advice without knowing what she was talking about.  The problem here was that if people followed her advice, it could have cost them financially.  When I contacted HP about this, they said they cannot control content!  So, it does happen so readers should beware regarding taking advice of any kind unless they are sure the writer is creditable.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
        DzyMsLizzyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

How can HP claim to be unable to control content, with all the parameters supposedly in place, to which we must adhere,  only starting with proper spelling and grammar (which is consistently ignored), duplicate content warnings, and the moving on to the recent issue of "pending" and "idled" hubs???!!!  If that's not content control, I don't know what is!
        You can't have it both ways, HP..the old "eat your cake and still have it" adage applies here.

2. SubRon7 profile image61
    SubRon7posted 11 years ago

Good for you, Carolee. I almost "never" read about recipes (unless I'm really hungry and need to cook something different) but this forum thread by you sounded really interesting, so I had to look.

Hi James,  I am so p*ssed that all the crap are making money and genuine stuff are losing traffic. tongue

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image85

Yes, Cardisa:  I'm sort of wishing for a "thumbs up" button for forum answers....

Hey there DzyMsLizzy, I wish we had one...lol

3. carol7777 profile image74
    carol7777posted 11 years ago

Plagiarizing recipes is pretty easy as they are so similar. I make up a lot of my recipes and add this and that.  They have all been tried and I do try to keep ingredients simple. Not everyone is going to like them all.  Sorry that it happened as  you work hard to create authentic and delicious recipes.

The recipe has not been plagiarized. The recipe posted as authentic was crap and not Jamaican at all. The ingredients don't blend well either and the dish would taste awful.

4. profile image48
    Roxknowsskinposted 11 years ago

agreed

5. brakel2 profile image73
    brakel2posted 11 years ago

Cardisa. One of your recipes is on Softmania4u.com

ty Brakel2....sheesh...when the hell will we get a break from thieves? I want to just break somehting.....AAAAAAARRRRGHHGHHHHHHHHHHH?

I came from there. The person is obviously copying the summary or the first paragraph along with the photo from the latest hubs pages. They have two blogs where they do this. They claim they are promoting hubpages but they have no clue what they are doing.  I won't even bother filing a complaint as the articles/posts have less than 100 words so sooner or later their blogs will suffer.

1. brakel2 profile image73
        brakel2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I found  a hub of mine just below the Softmania site, same title. I decided to  unpublish, as I was not satisfied with some personal stories in my article. I published it again under another title. It is hard to get anything on page 1 these days, not like in the past. Maybe you have more luck.

What I realize they have done is to copy and paste the articles from the latest hubs page so it's just a minute portion of the article that is showing. They link to another blog that is called Promote Your Hubpages and has the same thing. They recommend coming to the site and searching for the article if you want to read the full.....very amateur.

It's very hard to get on the first page that is why most of my articles are Jamaican based because they don't have a lot of competition. That recipe used to be between place 1 and 3 on page 1, now it is somewhere between 4 and 6. Some of my articles are nowhere near pages 1 - 3.

6. Nicole Winter profile image61
    Nicole Winterposted 11 years ago

I was looking through the HP search function and found this "How to Write a Successful Recipe" hub, in case anyone missed it.  It mentions using original photos (which I've been trying to do more, rather unsuccessfully,) and I really appreciate Cardisa's point about uploading images to Flickr in order to obtain your copyright for them.  I've seen others take my HP's stories and recopy them for themselves, but the idea of someone using my pictures?  Even creepier!  Sorry you had to go through that sad

You know I posted a hub on the same subject before HP did..lol....it was such a coincidence that just a few days before they published their hub I published mine....hehehe

Last Christmas I did a Merry Christmas happy new year hub where I used MS publisher to create a Happy new year banner. The entire hubs was stolen along with banner and my personal note to my friends here on HP. My name was even stolen as well. But the most painful plagiarism experience I have had was when a hub I did on spousal violations, based on my personal experience, was stolen along with the graphics I created.

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image85

There are already enough hoops through which we must jump.  Why should we have to take the additional step of uploading to Flikr just to get a copyright notice?
      It seems to me, that adding your copyright in your photo credit with the caption should be sufficient, but apparently, it obviously is not, since the photo can be copied minus the captions.  There is an even better way:   HP needs to get off its high-horse and allow us to watermark our photos with our copyright information!
      Things done to thwart thieves should inconvenience the would be thieves, and not the authors/artists trying to protect their works!

7. janshares profile image92
    jansharesposted 11 years ago

This is so awful, Cardisa. It's scary to know that you work so hard with integrity only to be robbed. I can see that you take pride in your cooking and want to share with people the uniqueness of the culture through food. I try very hard to be respectful of and sincere with the presentation of my recipes that represent my Jamaican-American experience. I don't get much views on any of my hubs but it is steady. How would I know if any hubs, not just recipes, were stolen? I've seen other forums about the same.

It's not the robbery that I am angry about today but the crappy recipes being passed off as authentic Jamaican dishes even here on HP.

1. janshares profile image92
        jansharesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ok, Got it.

8. Pearldiver profile image66
    Pearldiverposted 11 years ago

This applies right across the subjects Carolee... check out the travel or job hubs HERE that relate countries like ours... I have seen so much BS on New Zealand on HP in regards to jobs and travel destinations, culture and anything that they can get away with!  You know they don't know the place or subject, simply because of what they say!  NZ is a popular one cause so many in the world want to see where movies like Lord of the Rings, the Hobbit, Last Samurai etc. were made... it's pathetic how low some people are prepared to stoop when it comes to picking up a few cents!  sad

I was so fascinated with Oklahoma and South Korea that I wanted to write about them but never having been there before I decided against it. It just didn't seem truthful to write about places I have never been. I could have done some sort of history on the place but still didn't seem right. All my travel or history hubs are about Jamaica. I f you go through my hubs all of them are based on things I know.

9. pstraubie48 profile image81
    pstraubie48posted 11 years ago

the reason I have posted so many recipes recently is because I have been participating in a niche challenge which will wind up with me submitting one more. However, I like having access to all of the glorious recipes that others submit right here on HubPages. It keeps me from going out into cyberland looking and finding a recipe which may or may not be worthy of trying.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)