article thief

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (29 posts)
  1. galleryofgrace profile image70
    galleryofgraceposted 11 years ago

Rainbow Streams on Blogger is stealing articles relating to  anything Native American.

1. TexasLadyJuanita profile image59
      TexasLadyJuanitaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Stealing articles / unique article ideas is running rampant on the internet. It is a sad day especially for up and comers.

1. Marisa Wright profile image84
        Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That has been the case almost as long as I've been here.

HubPages is a high profile site with lots of new content being added daily.  It's a natural target.  I find my work elsewhere is stolen much less often.

2. glassvisage profile image82
      glassvisageposted 11 years agoin reply to this

If your Hub was copied, you should visit: http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/Mode … te-Content
      In case you haven't yet filed a complaint

3. Alastar Packer profile image67
      Alastar Packerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for the one-up on this galleryofgrace. Whats the best way to find Rainbow Streams?

galleryofgraceposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Do a google search for "Native American Colors", the first link is hubpages link to my article the rest are copies, some have links , some don't.
        Its a blogspot blog-rainbowstream

2. galleryofgrace profile image70

Just to let you know I demanded removal of my hub within 24 hrs.. I checked tonight and it has been  removed. My traffic is back for that hub. They stole a few hundred in traffic. It only shows in google search as my hub. ( I told them if it wasn't removed in 24 hrs. i would remove the whole blog!) It worked.

1. watergeek profile image95
          watergeekposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This happened to me, once, and I contacted their site administrator. They were kicked off the site, cause they were doing it to others too. In fact, you can pretty much guarantee that if they're taking yours, they're taking others, so you do everyone a favor by getting them kicked off.

3. Peggy W profile image96
        Peggy Wposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks galleryofgrace for the info about this latest thief.  Will have to check their site since I have quite a few hubs that have Native American sites in them.  Appreciate it!

2. Angelique Newman profile image60
    Angelique Newmanposted 11 years ago

I'm glad you caught them.  It's to bad there wasn't a way to protect our work.

1. aykianink profile image60
      aykianinkposted 11 years agoin reply to this

So this is just a thing.  "Deal with it" is the answer?  I'm guessing we're supposed to police our own work and make sure no one is taking our work?

3. galleryofgrace profile image70
    galleryofgraceposted 11 years ago

Exactly- aykianink- no one else including HP is watching for copied work once it has been published.  If traffic suddenly drops on a particular hub then it has probably been copied and they are getting your traffic.

: - (

I decided to check my article again. Apparently they put my hub back up after a few days so I just filed a DMCA with Google!

Whoa.  Nice.  Good stuff.

4. Melovy profile image92
    Melovyposted 11 years ago

Another site to check is Janine Marcasa on Fanbox.com, especially if you write about blogging, iphones or other technology. This person copied one of my articles, so it's quite likely she has copied other hubbers. (Especially check if you had a HOTD in the last few months.)

5. midget38 profile image86
    midget38posted 11 years ago

Use MyFreeCopyright or Copyscape to protect your articles.

1. Melovy profile image92
      Melovyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Michelle, I had a look for MyFreeCopyright and apparentely it has changed owners and the new owner deleted accounts and doesn't respond to emails. The site is no longer considered safe to use. There's a hub about it by MyWebs called How To Use MyFreeCopyRight - My Free Copyright com.

I don't know how the law stands in the Philippines, but in the USA and the UK, copyright is automatic and there is no need to do anything about it - all you would need to do is prove that you were published before the copier and since our publication date is recorded by HubPages that should be straightforward.

1. midget38 profile image86
        midget38posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thnks for the update, Yvonne. Actuaaly, it should be automatic. Guess that doesn't stop thieves, though.

1. ElizaDoole profile image83
          ElizaDooleposted 11 years agoin reply to this

All you need to do with thieves of your content is contact google who can see who published the duplicate content first. Obviously this will be you. They will take down the thread and site and penalise the web administrator by blocking them from using the same details to start a webpage. It is mightly inconvenient for them if it happens so most folks don't steal now.
          If you want to go in a bit softer, you can contact the web administrator first and request they take it down. Sometimes, (if it looks like teenagers learning how to use the internet) I prefer to do that.
          I think what you have to watch now is the link builder sites. They link themselves to your title, eg elizadoole.hubpages.com and then create keyword backlinks which they sell to clients. Kind of like jellyfish tentacles riding your quality score for their own gain.

I go onto these sites after googling my hubpages site and seeing where it is appearing. I then nick their keywords that they attribute to me and insert them into my articles. So far it has doubled my traffic. But there's not much science behind this method, just the urge to fight back!

Could you explain this one a little bit deeper please?  "I then nick their keywords that they attribute to me and insert them into my articles."

Sure, they spam backlink to my hub because I have a good quality PR score. So when I follow the spam link, they've advertised my URL and connected a lot of keywords to it they recommend their client's adopt in order to drive traffic to their own site (and away from mine). So, if I adopt the same keywords they recommend totheir clients, I get the traffic back.
                At least, that's my latest theory smile If it is wrong feel free to correct me. I don't object to learning more about SEO and how to keep my traffic! smile

But now that HP has removed tagging, how do you use their keywords? In your subtitles?

I put the keywords in the text I wrote, not the tags, but I can see how that would have been a good idea.
                    On that, how do any of us ensure we get high cpc keywords now? Any ideas? Perhaps still do KW Google research and weave them into your content's first 200 words?

6. sparkleyfinger profile image86
    sparkleyfingerposted 11 years ago

How do you actually find out if someone is copying your articles? Is there a tool for it or anything?

Try this site and insert whatever title you want to check: http://www.google.com/alerts
      Then just do a regular browser search on your title. Also try entering an unusual combination of keywords or a verbatim phrase from a hub and do a search. I found the spammer mentioned above accidentally when I entered a title to see if my article was showing up on the search engines.

1. profile image0
        Wesley Clarkposted 11 years agoin reply to this

First, galleryofgrace, it is really sad that someone steals articles and cannot create their own content.  Having said that, I wrote a hub about my own personal experience and how to detect and combat it.  Glad you found out and made us all aware!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)