Excessive following will knock your profile score down to 1

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (28 posts)
  1. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

Just an fyi for someone I noticed (and who will remain nameless). And for any other newer folks who didn't know. smile

1. Cardisa profile image86
      Cardisaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for posting this. I personally don't have a problem following people but I do have a penchant for stalking very good forums posts.

Seriously, I also want to mention that spamming comments with your hub links is a very easy way to get that score to 1 as well. A hubber who shall remain nameless, very nice person but his MO seems to be leaving his links all over the place used to be in his 90s when I joined HP in 2011, is now a very prominent 1

paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That is indeed a very tacky thing to do. I wonder if redemption is possible in such a case.

I suppose if they behave themselves and be normal hubbers they may get back on track. big_smile

Another thing I also noticed is that following too many people with very low hubscores seem to lower your score as well. Polite following tends to do that too.

1. Violet Flame profile image65
            Violet Flameposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I hope I am "normal" enough, if a touch on a underproductive side, lol. Do you mean "polite following" can lower your score? Does that mean when you follow someone back after they follow you?
            The only thing that gets me a little is the ones that follow you and left you a fan mail that clearly shows they haven't read anything you wrote and probably don't plan to, lol

Yes, that's what I mean. Do a test......unfollow people you don't read, wait a day  and see what happens to your score. When my score fell to the lower 80s for no reason, I followed the advise of someone and unfollowed a few people including people with very low scores and inactive hubbers, my score went t 97 in 24 hours, a jump of about 12 points. It has stayed in the mid to upper 90s since.

Thanks for the tips Cardisa xoxo I will see to it right now! :-D

Your score is great, you shouldn't be worried about yours...lol

ha ha as far as I know, the score goes up and down like it has a mind of its own :-D

2. rfmoran profile image71
      rfmoranposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Excessive following can also get you suspended from twitter.

1. galleryofgrace profile image71
        galleryofgraceposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That's unreal. I get an email everyday from Twitter with at least 5 recommendations of people i should follow, with a follow button on each one.

1. galleryofgrace profile image71
          galleryofgraceposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Some of those that were recommended were following over 40 thousand so there's no danger for me anytime soon!

1. rfmoran profile image71
            rfmoranposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, Twitter wants you to follow people but if you use one of those auto group follow services and get hundreds a day you can and will get suspended. A few a day is no problem at all.

3. Knightmare Golem profile image88
      Knightmare Golemposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm expanding pretty much like a turtle in that regard... so I don't think I'll be in danger of this myself smile

4. Louise Lately profile image59
      Louise Latelyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Wow I had no idea about that - not that I would follow an excessive amount of people, it's not my style. Thx for sharing!

2. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 11 years ago

Thanx for the tip...Sometimes it pays to be anti-social. big_smile

big_smile

HP doesn't get perturbed with frequent follows I think. But when someone blasts away with over 20 of them in 5 minutes, HP becomes very unhappy. lol

1. fpherj48 profile image59
        fpherj48posted 11 years agoin reply to this

As well HP should, in those cases.  It pretty obvious they're not following for the appropriate reasons.

3. ologsinquito profile image82
    ologsinquitoposted 11 years ago

This is good for the new people to know. I wouldn't have known unless someone else had pointed it out. One hubber did write a very fun article about how his score dropped to 1 because of this. But, fortunately, he seems to be back in the 90s now.

Yes, I also know of someone who made it back. HP believes in redemption. big_smile

4. ologsinquito profile image82

I wonder if it's the same person smile

Mine was a she. Long time ago. Alas, don't even remember her name anymore.

1. safiq ali patel profile image68
        safiq ali patelposted 11 years agoin reply to this

well what is excessive following. I don't think we're supposed to be on hub pages and not follow anyone. I try to read at least one hub before I follow someone. And I also these days try and follow people who have read my hubs or answered my questions.
        And if I like what a hubber has written in forums or questions i look at their profile and follow them too.

As far as I know, HP is fine with that. In fact, I just did some of that. smile

This is what can perturb HP:

5. Relationshipc profile image87
    Relationshipcposted 11 years ago

Yeah, I think it really just boils down to common sense. It's weird to me that the people who use things like HubPages improperly think that they are going to succeed.

"Yep, if I just follow 500 people today, I will get 500 followers."

I think people who do this type of thing don't have a good sense of what spam is all about, or more likely, they just don't care.

1. Sherry Hewins profile image92
      Sherry Hewinsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I've been followed by a few that were following thousands of people within a week of being on HubPages. They were obviously not reading that many hubs, just following to get followers. I never re-follow people who do that.

6. ologsinquito profile image82

I think most of the time it's probably done innocently, by people trying to be friendly. They have no idea they can their profile score, which is why it's a good idea for someone more experienced to post a warning. Otherwise, how would anyone know?

7. sparkleyfinger profile image86
    sparkleyfingerposted 11 years ago

This does my nut in! I only follow people who's hubs I am interested in. I saw someone who had joined 24 hours ago, no hubs, and following 246 people!?! Also, the people who ask a billion stupid questions in a bid to be noticed make me mad!!! Lol rant over! smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)