jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (17 posts)

Is this a mistake?

1. Thomas Swan profile image98
    Thomas Swanposted 4 years ago

One of my hubs that was getting around 30 hits per day suddenly jumped to almost 3000 hits yesterday. I haven't shared it recently, and according to the hub stats, the traffic must have come from Google. I thought this must be a mistake, but my earnings say I earned 5 dollars yesterday (about 5 times what I'm used to). The earnings aren't finalized yet, but that makes it seem like more than a stat error. Should I be celebrating?

1. livewithrichard profile image84
      livewithrichardposted 4 years agoin reply to this

It happens... You may have gotten lucky and a visitor linked to your hub or shared it and it has gone viral.  I had one that did that once and was getting nearly 16,000 vies a day for nearly a month, but then it was gone almost as fast as it came.  Enjoy it while it lasts.

Thomas Swanposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Blimey 16k is a lot! I hope my hub stays this way for a month. Sure would be nice to have that rolling in each day. I just wish the stat info would update more regularly. I'm not sure how up to date the stats within the hub are (traffic sources), but only the Google numbers are big enough to explain it (so far), which doesn't make much sense to me. Google has been kicking me in the butt lately. Maybe it's a g+ share... hmm, possible.

My Dad said it was a "clickbomber" and the earnings will be taken away. Forever the pessimist. They're not finalized yet, so it's possible.

2. FatFreddysCat profile image100
    FatFreddysCatposted 4 years ago

Enjoy it while it lasts. It's nice to get a sudden boost out of nowhere. I wish it would happen more often.

Yea, me too! I think hubpages deserves more credit for trying to stick with what google wants.

3. janshares profile image96
    jansharesposted 4 years ago

I say celebrate. If it were a glitch, others may have seen similar things, like a few months ago when several hubbers had millions of views. I hope for you that it's the real deal. smile

Thank you janshares! Yea, it's sort of comforting that other people aren't reporting the same thing, so maybe it's genuine traffic.

4. liesl5858 profile image83
    liesl5858posted 4 years ago

Lucky you, I will be lucky if I get 30 hits per day on one hub. Well done I say and celebrate.

Thank you liesl5858! It's only my soccer hubs that seem to reach these meteoric traffic levels. In my opinion, those are my least interesting hubs.

5. davidlivermore profile image99
    davidlivermoreposted 4 years ago

I had that happen once.  A hub spiked at 500+ hits one day, then dropped down to it's normal at that point.  You'll celebrate each time it happens too!

I've had boosts like that before, but nothing like this. Those times could be attributed to events in the news. It's horrible to get a boost whenever there's a gun massacre in America, but my gun control hub does well at those times. I have a Hillary Clinton hub that does well whenever she's embroiled in a scandal, which seems to happen on an annual basis!

6. Greensleeves Hubs profile image99
    Greensleeves Hubsposted 4 years ago

Wow Thomas.

I had one hub with photos which received more than 600 viewings on Pinterest in just a couple of weeks as a result of sharing (no other hub has received anything like that many in more than a year) but sadly it didn't translate into page viewings - just image viewings. I guess it's an example of how pages can go viral if the quality or the luck is there. We all live in hope.

I can't contribute any information except don't analyse too much and just enjoy (and send whoever shared it along to my hubs!)

Cheers Greensleeves. I don't know much about pinterest, but it seems like that wouldn't result in ad earnings. Maybe I should look into that site more though. Yea, probably best not to analyze too much.

7. Reality Bytes profile image84
    Reality Bytesposted 4 years ago

It is normal, I had a two day burst on one hub this week.  The subject was in the news.

Yea that's happened to me a couple of times too. Never had anything like 3000 though, and I can't think of a news story that would be related to it.

8. younghopes profile image81
    younghopesposted 4 years ago

Congrats dear for such a traffic tsunami...enjoy it

9. imonline1 profile image61
    imonline1posted 4 years ago

The stats are accurate; I would celebrate. Yay!

working