Given up on Hubpages?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (47 posts)
  1. Savio Dawson profile image90
    Savio Dawsonposted 10 years ago

I see that the general forum topics revolve around Hubs being copied, Hubpages not doing well, views going down, no future for hubpages, etc. etc. So the general unhappiness continues.. I had taken a break for about a month to write on other sites and of course, earn from it, but have returned with some pluses for Hubpages

1. The layout of Hubpages is by far the best
    2. Wikinut is another site which gives most of the functionalities of Hubpages, but expects us to know basic level of formatting. Here the formatting is in-built
    3. Hubpages may have lost rank but all is not lost yet. It finally boils down to the quality of articles we write
    4. I have observed drop in traffic too, but let's have fun anyways
    5. Articles being copied is not a phenomenon limited to Hubpages, it happens everywhere, so let's use the forum to talk about the transgressors rather than Hubpages not being good.

Just my views. You may differ but remember the world is as good or as bad as we perceive it to be... So let's keep Hubbing!!

1. ChristinS profile image38
      ChristinSposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I totally agree smile - Those d(&* content scrapers are everywhere. While I do believe HP should be more proactive in helping all of us deal with them, I understand it's an internet wide phenomenon. 

Hub layouts are excellent. With a bit of work hubs can be beautiful, much more than other writing sites.

I blame Google for most of this mess. It's the constant having to pander to an everchanging Google that has lead to this constant onslaught of changes. Unfortunately, if you don't please the Google gods websites fail.

2. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image82
      Wesman Todd Shawposted 10 years agoin reply to this

"1. The layout of Hubpages is by far the best"

I totally agree with that.

2. EricDockett profile image95
    EricDockettposted 10 years ago

I get weary of the doom and gloom too.  I can only speak personally, but for me HubPages is the best place to put my work.  There are a couple of other platforms I really love, but my articles simply don't do as well there.

My traffic is fine. I have no complaints.  Well, few complaints, anyway.  I have a project planned for the fall to build out one of my subdomains and add another 100 hubs. I see no reason to stop adding content to this site.  I'm not going anywhere.

I understand why some people are so unhappy here, and of course it doesn't make sense for them to stick around.  If I felt the way they do I wouldn't spend one more second on this forum or this site. I don't waste time with with things that make me miserable in the real world, and there's no way I'd do it online.  Life is too short.

3. Twilight Lawns profile image72
    Twilight Lawnsposted 10 years ago

Savio,  your attitudes and mind (naturally) are so refreshingly optimistic.
    I feel at times that I am wasting my time, and as iI get so dew hits now, it has a Catch 22 effect inasmuch as i feel there is little point in writing for this... or any other site.
    There is a great plus, though, and that is the fact that I have "met" some exceptionally talented writers, and also some really worthwhile human beings.  You being of that ilk, my friend.
    Not much of a comment for a Forum, but perhaps I'll take my finger out and take the plunge again, after your words.
    Then again, perhaps not.
    Ian

Savio Dawsonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Ian!!

You make my every effort seem perfect! See, one more plus point to Hubpages; where else would I have found Ian?? :-)

1. Twilight Lawns profile image72
        Twilight Lawnsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I blush, my friend.  But the feeling is mutual.

4. WryLilt profile image87
    WryLiltposted 10 years ago

Pfffft. My traffic is down, but it's still double what it was during '11. This'll bounce back. Leave my content alone, go write more content on other sites, wait for the jump back towards Christmas.

A lot (not all) people complaining have only been here a little while, so missed out on bigger shakeups.

1. Barbara Kay profile image73
      Barbara Kayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

WryLit, I agree, but this is the biggest shakeup for me. One thing I have to say though, Hubpages has always managed to get us out of these messes. I just get tired of it happening.

I guess I need to find something else to do on the side. My websites were hit too this time.

2. Savio Dawson profile image90

Agree with you WryLit. In fact it is similar to many freshers joining our company who seem to talk so many not-so-good things about the organization. In way of the discussion I realize that they are not even few months in the system... How is that for instant judgment!!

It is fun to hear them but no offence to their intention..

5. Dolores Monet profile image94
    Dolores Monetposted 10 years ago

Already bouncing back a bit. I think that the new little platforms people use to look up info are creating an upsurge of short articles so that all the info can bit on a small screen. I write for people like me, people who want more than just a short blurb. I think that the people who want to read more want a magazine type article with lots of real info and images will help us here at HP return to our former glory.

1. CraftytotheCore profile image76
      CraftytotheCoreposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That's how I tend to write too Dolores.  Longer articles, but I always seem to have a lot to say! LOL

+1 to the bounce back Dolores!!

3. Twilight Lawns profile image72
      Twilight Lawnsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Dolores, if there were more writers like you, HP would be an amazing place.  Your articles and writing skills make many of the other contributors' works look and read so pathetically.
      Never give up.  I love your style and vastly encompassing subjects.
      You, my friend, would be a very hard act to follow.

1. Dolores Monet profile image94
        Dolores Monetposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you so kindly! (Blushes)

6. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

People feel the need to complain at different times.  Some have gotten it out of their system and moved through, others are just starting, and others are simply responding to a status quo that is not great right now.

If you don't feel like taking part in those thread they certainly are not compulsory.  But is there much point in complaining about people complaining? Does that help? If your point is that a greater proportion of threads should be positive, then the jab at complainers could have been omitted.

1. Ella Quirk profile image83
      Ella Quirkposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yep.  There's nothing wrong with a good communal gripe. Besides, it gives the optimistic crowd something to react to, so they can point out the positives to the bitter and twisted faction.

Better out than in..

1. Solaras profile image95
        Solarasposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Lol!!

psycheskinner,

My comments surely must not have gone well with you.. But like I said this is my own opinion, as much as other hubbers' opinions on why Hubpages is not working... So, if there can be a vent out for them, I only plead a vent out for myself... Hope you are with me on this..

7. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 10 years ago

Love this post, Savio Dawson, my kind of 'hang in there', positive attitude. I think you're absolutely on point. My latest hub says the same about this site being a great place, despite the downsides. It's the nature of the beast. Are my views and earnings down? Of course. Did I get a nice spurt on Sunday, followed by a plunge on Monday? Absolutely. But I expect it now and try to adjust. No I haven't been around long enough to know all the ups and downs of Panda but I do know now. I'm still willing to stick it out here because I don't know anything else. Yes, it's demeaning to make $.34 a day but I've never made $1.00 a day here either and look forward to doing so one day, maybe this Fall or Winter when things stabilize.

I agree... It is good to get up looking forward to a successful, blessed and prosperous day than to be sad even before the day starts... :-)

8. Patty Inglish, MS profile image90
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 10 years ago

I'm not ready to give up, either. My traffic decreased some, but surged back on Saturday and has increased every day since that time. I'm still finding HubPages the easiest place to to write, because of the features supplied. Bubblews is a fun place for a different writing experience and it gives me more energy to come back here with new ideas for Hubs.

+

2. Barbara Kay profile image73

Maybe we all need to follow Patty's lead. She writes constantly and Google might like so many new hubs being written.

1. Barbara Kay profile image73

Read Patty's profile. She has so many degrees that it is unreal.

3. Savio Dawson profile image90

I am on Bubblews too... ;-) .. .Savinomics

9. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 10 years ago

I may not be posting stuff as frequently but I'm not going anywhere. I've never earned much here anyway so I treat HP as a hobby/outlet. (It's less frustrating that way...)

Good that way I have some familiar faces when I am here... Lately have seen many new hubbers here.... All said and done, I myself joined in January, so not sure what that makes me... New or Old :-)

10. Anamika S profile image68
    Anamika Sposted 10 years ago

I would not give up on HubPages. HP is the first revenue sharing site I started writing on and succeeded. I have earned tons of money on HubPages and still make a somewhat okay income with this site. I am now working at improving my hubs to get more traffic and earnings.

I have not made much money here yet but then find the community quite interesting... So Anamika, you have me for company... :-)

11. mistyhorizon2003 profile image89
    mistyhorizon2003posted 10 years ago

I tried the 'remaining optimistic' view too a good while back, sadly it has not paid off in the longer term. This is still a nice platform to use, a nice community etc, but to make money, nope, and I really don't see it resurrecting itself (especially as Google seem to be hammering the site hard with every new update). Phoenixes don't always rise from the ashes!

What sites are you finding to be more profitable.  I am not giving up on HP, but would like to spread my eggs to other baskets if it makes sense.

Hi Solaras,

I am not sure whom your question is for, however assuming it is for me... I write on Wikinut and Bubblews.. .Making money at both sites... :-)

I am on Bubblews too as Kittydog.  And like Mistyhorizon2003 I make about $1.00 per post, but it requires a lot of community service, and I don't see a lot of residual income at this point once a post has passed off of my profile page.

How does Wikinut work?

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image89
            mistyhorizon2003posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Bear in mind that many Bubblews posts are now showing high up in Google searches (which is fast by normal Internet standards), so you aren't as reliant on visits internally on Bubblews as you might imagine. Give it time and with a bit of luck those same brief posts will age and get you more views from outside of Bubblews if you make the brief posts at least a little informative and not just details of what you had for breakfast etc.

@solaras
            Wikinut does not need you to have adsense and it allows you to post even content you have written on other sites.. Only you have to give the mods a heads up... Rajan jolly had written an article on that... You can read it here..

http://rajanjolly.hubpages.com/hub/Wiki … e-A-Review

I will share my own views soon as a hub... stay tuned..

2. mistyhorizon2003 profile image89
        mistyhorizon2003posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I am now making money on Bubblews at a rate of about a $1 a post (a post only needs to have 400 characters, note I said characters not words). It takes me about 5 - 10 minutes to type out a brief post, and all of mine have a lot more than the 400 character minimum.  I also make a small regular amount on my veggie growing website which I can see would be plenty more if I invested as much time there as I have done here.

12. kenshinnayr profile image40
    kenshinnayrposted 10 years ago

It's my first time here and I find hard at first but I like it now because unlike other social site this helps me improve more on my English and vocabulary and Read about different articles.

13. WTF World profile image75
    WTF Worldposted 10 years ago

I like HubPages but apparently my humor is not welcome here.
    [Edit] I mean as far as getting hubs published.  The users seem to enjoy my hubs.

14. Sherry Hewins profile image93
    Sherry Hewinsposted 10 years ago

I have not given up on HubPages, but I have grown tired of the forum.

15. Mamajo3304 profile image60
    Mamajo3304posted 10 years ago

I am very new here and trying to build my page by one hub a day (that is the goal anyways). I hope that I am putting my effort into the right place. ;-)

16. sabrebIade profile image79
    sabrebIadeposted 10 years ago

Just had ads disabled on 5 hubs today.
    I think HP is gunning for me.
    So...they are all being moved away to a better place.
    Those five plus the 20 or so I unpublished.....well...my footprint here is getting smaller and smaller....

1. Mamajo3304 profile image60
      Mamajo3304posted 10 years agoin reply to this

If I post a hub here, can I post it somewhere else if joined, say Bubblew? Or do I have to have completely unique content on every site I am part of? I just published hub #3. Trying to post a variety of hubs to see what people like.

1. ChristinS profile image38
        ChristinSposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You can't have duplicate content on either site.

Thank you

2. sabrebIade profile image79
        sabrebIadeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

If you remove it from here, just rewrite it.
        Shouldn't take long .
        Just look at the article from a different point of view and change it up.

Thanks for your input

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)