jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (17 posts)

Filed My First DCMA Notice Today

1. PegCole17 profile image92
    PegCole17posted 3 years ago

Today was the first time I've actually seen that little red copyright symbol next to one of my hubs. COPIED - What a nasty business. I filed a DMCA form on the offending site which posted my hub as their own back in 2011 on Blogspot. Wonder why it took so long to find the copy.

Copycats and scrapers have come and gone and I've had my hubs copied before. But this time, I got a notice from HubPages at the top of my hub with instructions and links on how to file the notice. (Thank you so much, really). Although they say the hub is not being penalized, the hub score for my article has taken a nose dive and was once one of my highest scoring hubs.

This is disturbing - of course, I am frazzled at this whole business.

Okay, rant over. Oops. Can't seem to change the title which should be DMCA.

1. moonlake profile image89
      moonlakeposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I have had so many hubs copied but not once have I seen a little red copyright symbol. I've filed a lot of DMCA reports.
      Glad they caught yours.

1. ChristinS profile image93
        ChristinSposted 3 years ago in reply to this

same here. I've never had a HP notice, but have found many hubs of mine copied and filed against them.

PegCole17posted 3 years ago in reply to this

Hi Christin S, It was a big surprise since I check my hubs everyday for broken links and unfeatured, etc.  I wondered why my author score plummeted today over 6 points. I guess that's why. Sad.

1. CraftytotheCore profile image87
            CraftytotheCoreposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I think that's amazing you got notice!  Thank goodness.  It stinks that people do this.  It's happened to me several times, and I can't figure out why.  I guess they'll steal anything they think they can make a buck on.  Just doesn't make sense.

Hello Crafty. Agreed. Although this is puzzling. The date on the notice would indicate it took 20 days to notify me from the date of the scan - 9-30-13. At least I got a notice or I might never have known. I can't understand how this person would ever make money on his (her) blog since there was minimal activity. Their profile shows only 52 views and I saw no ads on the site. I think it's more annoying than anything else.

2. PegCole17 profile image92

This is my first time, too, Moonlake. It was surprising and disturbing. They have the links built into the notice that comes up when you check out your hub. I filed the forms. We'll see what happens.

2. FlourishAnyway profile image91
      FlourishAnywayposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I'm sorry this has happened to you.  Since it happens so often and to so many people, can you let us know the steps and how long it takes to get resolution moving forward?  I'm interested to see what happens to that hub score, too.  Good luck on getting restored. 
      I had one of my bullying articles stolen from a national bullying website.  He Tweeted and Facebooked it, too, and it all went back to his website, not mine.  I know the frustration.

Hello Flourish, Thank you. Yes, I will keep you informed as to the progress. It is easy if you click the links in the "warning" at the top of the hub. I went to the website and there it was, in broken English with pictures of my car, my house, my husband's race car and the other photos I had posted many revisions ago. What a jolt it was to see it and frustrating since I found another website had used my exact words about my childhood family's experience in their business site.

Pah. What a drag.

1. FlourishAnyway profile image91
          FlourishAnywayposted 3 years ago in reply to this

This thread just prompted me to recheck all of mine.  I found three of mine copied, and I only have a paltry published hubs.  One was on a WordPress site, one was in a non-English language site (but my article was in English, no photos), and the other took about half of my article with no photos.  I don't know how you'd do a craft with step by steps and no photos.  Pretty bad instructions to me.  Desperate people.

Oh, Flourish. I'm sorry. How disappointing. How did you find these? Did you Google the first paragraph? When I Google'd the Title I didn't find anything. Mine was the only one. When I put the first sentence I found two sites that had my identical words. What a bunch of jerks.
            Are you filing DMCAs?

3. Faith Reaper profile image87
      Faith Reaperposted 3 years ago in reply to this

The only way I ever know of such is when a kind hubber tells me so.  When I first joined HP, I published a poem about my childhood that I had actually written long before joining HP and decided to publish it here.  Well, I received a nice email letting me know it had been stolen and who had stolen it.  I had no clue what to do about and I felt so violated.  Then recently, I was notified by another kind hubber who told me one of my true personal accounts of serving the homeless hubs had been stolen!  So, I knew how to file a DMCA  and did.  Another terrible thing is, that the latest stolen hub, I had linked two related hubs of my true accounts, and now those linked hubs, do not link the way they should as the title shows up funny, and so I gather they were stolen and messed with some how, as they linked just fine before.  So disturbing to say the least.  I am sorry it has happened to you.  It seems it is happening a lot more here lately.

Hello Faith Reaper,
        What a shame that someone stole your childhood poem. That is insulting. I also have a childhood poem which I was considering putting out here with a little back story. Now, I'm a nervous Nelly about all of my work. I've read the forum threads where hubbers say the HubPages site has been mirrored on a site and translated into Japanese. I try to never visit these scrapers and give them the link back to me and/or the traffic which they are seeking.
        The only way I know how to check for stolen work is to go into the Google search and type in the first few words or sentence of your actual hub. You will be surprised what comes up.
        Again, sorry to hear you've been pirated. Arrrrr.
        PS You can fix your links to internal hubs by going into the edit mode, highlighting the link and click the chain to unlink. Then copy and paste your url back into the box and test the link.

1. Faith Reaper profile image87
          Faith Reaperposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Wow, Peg, thank you so much about the link fix!!!  I posted a question, and did not get it answered to fix my problem.  I will try it.

Where is your question posted? I will go in and answer it. That seems to improve one's author score. Or maybe it's just my imagination (reminds me of a song)...

http://youtu.be/5xhyY-GRlGo

Love those Temptations.
            cool

2. brakel2 profile image84
    brakel2posted 3 years ago

Blogspot has really had its share of our hubs. It is getting really old. I have seen many copied hubs at that site.

Hello Brakel2. I have a blog at blogspot as well. It was a real surprise to find this copycat.

working