Here we are...

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (62 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Beth37posted 10 years ago

So ATM made me think of something... he was mocking me of course, but I enjoy that sometimes.

In real life, every one thinks I am the life of the party... always making ppl laugh, always up and smiling... all that irritating stuff... but inside, Im just thinking, "I wanna go home."

I'm an isolater (yes I made that word up,) a hermit at heart. I want to be with my family, but that's about it. If I were abandoned in a mountain cabin with my immediate family, (and internet access) I would be fine.

I wonder how many of you are here cause you prefer this kind of interaction... the kind you can walk away mid-sentence, the kind you can lol at or contort your face in an angry scowl... the kind where you can answer a question immediately or just walk away for a few days, if not completely.

I know there are those of us who may lack social skills, and those who excel at them, but in your heart... why do you come? Please don't give the same boring answer... dig deep.
    http://s1.hubimg.com/u/8487088_f248.jpg

1. A Troubled Man profile image57
      A Troubled Manposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Excuse me? YOU said this...

Of course, I understand you need to feel that you're the one being attacked when it is actually YOU who is the one tossing out personal insults.

1. profile image0
        Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

When I invited ppl to post on this thread, I meant everybody but you.

You invited me the moment you posted my name.

1. profile image0

Of course you're invited, I was just kidding with one of my unfunny jokes again...

You didn't personally attack so much as straight up lie by doctoring my quote, but I forgive you for that too... now do you want to answer the question or should I pretend Im going to report you for going off topic?

2. bBerean profile image62
        bBereanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Not attacking her?  Hmmm.  How do you feel about editing someones quote to completely twist what they said, and leaving it in a dialogue box indicating it is what they said?  Just curious.

1. profile image0

lol... he's just being ATM, doesn't bother me. I don't think he gets my jokes. I forget how literal ppl can be.

So do you want to be the first to tell us why this place meets your social needs bB? I know your circumstances, but what is it you get here that you don't get anywhere else?

Or, your jokes aren't funny, at all.

2. bBerean profile image62

Sure.  I enjoy the forum characters and how protagonists and antagonists develop in each thread.  Of course, we don't even agree who wears which hats, and sometimes they switch from thread to thread.  I find I have an odd affinity, even for many who are diametrically opposed to much of what I know, believe and hold dear.  Interesting.   

Mostly, anymore, I read as I have time, rarely interacting beyond a quip here or there, but that is just logistics.  I would, and do, involve myself more when I can.  I learn a lot, primarily about how people think and rationalize their perspectives.  I collect information and insights that will be valuable in future writings. 

I share your proclivity toward introversion and have no problem walking away once I have gathered the data I want, frequently allowing those who could not or will not be swayed, the last word they so urgently desire and persistently pursue.  I suspect it provides a feeling of victory more important to them than to me.

I realize at this point my involvement here is not particularly meaningful, but built from stray moments of time here and there, that would not be fruitful otherwise, it comes at virtually no cost.  At least when I spend them here, reading or contributing, there is entertainment value at worst, edification for myself or others at best.  No real downside unless I allow myself to be drawn into something that demands time I can't afford to give. 

I do desire to make more meaningful contributions to this community, although some here will not be pleased when I do, (but isn't that all just part of the fun?).  Still not sure when that day will be, but I keep it as a peripheral goal.  Is that what you were looking for, Beth?

1. profile image0

More than I could have hoped for... good wordage, a little cerebral... two thumbs up.
              Just so you know, your involvement makes a huge difference here. You are sort of the Lone Ranger, the John Wayne... I don't know why Im using those references, Im not 100 years old, but still... you ride in, say the most appropriate things and ride out. Im not only impressed by that, I appreciate it, as Im sure others do.

1. bBerean profile image62

Beth, your kind words are appreciated, making me feel more welcome.  Rationing my comments maximizes what time I do have for keeping up with what is said here on topics that interest me. 

I always appreciate your contributions.  I've learned there is rarely a need to step in, even when I see you under fire, as you express yourself and hold your own well, (even when folks are missing your points).  Of course, if you ever do wish my perspective, input or contribution on a topic, you know where to find me.  wink

1. profile image0

I never make myself clear... I think I have mud in my brains, but you are always wanted, believe me... I think most the time you have a calming presence. smile

2. A Troubled Man profile image57

Obviously, that isn't attacking her personally, is it.

2. JG11Bravo profile image73
      JG11Bravoposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You know, I often ask myself that very question. I do enjoy exchanging ideas with new people... Yet for every one interesting individual I find a dozen more who remind me why I have so little faith in humanity.

1. profile image0
        Earl Noah Bernsbyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Just think of all mankind has accomplished, though!  Sure, most people are content to bicker and complain, to limit their scope of vision to their own petty affairs without ever giving a thought to the greater good.  But then, there are others who make such galactic contributions that I can't help but be inspired! (We are communicating via one such galactic contribution right now.)

For example: http://goo.gl/QQ6LHS

... Of course, this doesn't necessarily mean that I would want to "party" with any of the individuals in the above article, but I can admire them from afar; and perhaps, even make my own little contributions through the written word.)

3. Rochelle Frank profile image91
      Rochelle Frankposted 10 years agoin reply to this

No wonder I identify so much with you-- (though I am probably almost twice your age). I could have almost written most of these same words.

1. profile image0

I am almost positive you are not any where near twice my age, though I love you more every time you speak. lol

4. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Making your way in the world today
      Takes everything you've got;
      Taking a break from all your worries
      Sure would help a lot.
      Wouldn't you like to get away?

All those night when you've got no lights,
      The check is in the mail;
      And your little angel
      Hung the cat up by it's tail;
      And your third fiancée didn't show;

Sometimes you want to go
      Where everybody knows your name,
      And they're always glad you came;
      You want to be where you can see,
      Our troubles are all the same;
      You want to be where everybody knows your name.

Roll out of bed, Mr. Coffee's dead;
      The morning's looking bright;
      And your shrink ran off to Europe,
      And didn't even write;
      And your husband wants to be a girl;

Be glad there's one place in the world
      You want to go where people know,
      People are all the same;
      You want to go where everybody knows your name.

And they're always glad you came...

Cheers full theme song (with subtitiles), https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvRGh2NEjSU

1. profile image0

You're totally speaking my language... that song makes me so nostalgic. And yeah... it's a little like this place huh? Norm!

5. cheaptrick profile image75
      cheaptrickposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'm just here for the 'sex,drugs,and rock and roll' cause,in the famous parting words of my ex(as she drove away with my stuff),...'I'm about as deep as a dirty closed window' .Funny thing...I thought it was a compliment cause...She,on the other hand,is like an open window,...that anyone can get into...I'll miss her during summer though...We never needed air conditioning...I just sat next to her...now I'll have a high electric bill...

"Women are like chewing gum...when they lose their flavor...you have to spit them out"~CT~

2. EricDockett profile image97
    EricDockettposted 10 years ago

I was considering adding a possibly meaningful and borderline personal response because I feel that I too am an isolater (Two people used it.  Now it's a word.) and your original post resonated with me.

But after reading through the bickering it reminded me of exactly why I prefer to be that way.

1. profile image0

lol! He ruined my perfectly good thread... well maybe you'll change your mind later.

2. profile image0

I had the same feeling EricDockett.  But much like with my (lapsed/returning/lapsed again/returning/etc.) faith in - and practice of - Catholicism, I have decided to try and focus on the good ideas set forth in Queen B's post, and work past my angst over the scandal.
      Therefore, in answer to the original query:

I feel EXACTLY the same way in a party, Beth37.  I feel like I've got sufficient panache to fake my way through without offending people (re: nod and smile, rinse and repeat), but at heart I'd rather be home reading (or writing), or pursuing something else that has captured my interest.

I value privacy, and am happiest alone (barring, of course, family and friends).  So, posting in a thread is a great way to engage with others, and satisfy Erikson's theory of psycho-social development/interaction (re: no man is an island), without sacrificing the bliss of solitude, imho.

However, in the interest of fairness, here is a dissenting opinion: http://goo.gl/IXBK2F

1. profile image0
        Motown2Chitownposted 10 years agoin reply to this

"I value privacy, and am happiest alone (barring, of course, family and friends).  So, posting in a thread is a great way to engage with others, and satisfy Erikson's theory of psycho-social development/interaction (re: no man is an island), without sacrificing the bliss of solitude, imho."

That's great!  And very well expressed!  smile

1. profile image0

Thanks! wink

3. profile image0
    epsonok0posted 10 years ago

I know that we promised not to interact on each others threads but I can add something of value here.
    I hate Facebook. Too much personal interaction and of course an overload of promotional spam. I love coming here because I hate real life. I can not stand interactions with other people beyond a sparse conversation and/or a little bit of fun. I am not the party monster others seem to be. I love this site for that. And because I can be as quaky as I want without being judged.

1. profile image0

No no no... I didn't say I didn't want you to participate on a thread Ive started, I said I didn't want you to single me out. It makes me very uncomfortable and b/c we have no issue between us (like a religious debate etc) it starts me wondering what you're up to... my troll senses start tingling and then I might end up saying something that is hurtful. Im glad you did participate. For whatever reason, I love it when ppl talk about heart stuff.. real life stuff... I appreciate your input! smile

1. profile image0
        epsonok0posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I know. Lol

4. LeanMan profile image79
    LeanManposted 10 years ago

Commenting in the forums can be like driving a car, you get to swear and shout at all of the other morons on the road with a certain amount of anonymity, however every now and again some notices that you have raised your finger at them and wants to run you off the road and beat you. Or they find out where they live and come and drop a truck full of manure over your Porsche..

Personally I prefer the real life interaction, I love to party and meet people, not this unreal and impersonal world. I would go mad if this were all I had!! I comment in the forums when I am bored and working.. When my work stops I go talk to real life people with real life opinions, fears and desires..I am not bored there!!

Give me a Friday night in a club dancing and chatting with my friends over a couple of bottles of beer, would not want to be sat inside chatting to other sad people on their facebook and skype drinking alone and becoming fat on junk food and snacks.......

1. Jason Marovich profile image87
      Jason Marovichposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Well that's just it, LeanMan.  We who sit at our computers and write to others on skype, facebook, and HP aren't sad about it.  Many of us have grown weary of the platitudes and falsity of real-life.  Granted, most of us aren't hermits; we deal with people at work, we deal with our families, we deal with our friends.  Yet there is a certain joy that comes from being ourselves without the world snickering at us behind our backs.  Or perhaps better said:  we don't worry so much what online people think about our real personas. 

Writing, and this is why I spend time on HubPages, is a common thread we find that most of us can't get in the real world.  I enjoy reading what other writers think and write.  I enjoy some of my real-life relationships, too.  The majority of writers don't hold back when they write; you can get a true glimpse into their beings--the same cannot be said of casual relationships in the real world.  What you get there is a lot of 'this is who I'm pretending to be.'

Now, one more thing, when I differentiate between real-life and internet activity, I don't mean posting and forums and chatting on skype aren't real.  It's just an expression I've used for many years to help others understand that I've been around the internet long enough to realize that many are playing a role they can't play in real-life.  Still, with writers, it's different.  It's not an easy thing to play a role through all the verbiage spilled in a frequent online writer's time on the internet.  It's possible, but not easy.  And so what if they are?  It's the internet smile

1. Suzanne Day profile image93
        Suzanne Dayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I like what you're saying Jason. I often find that the real me comes out in my writing, whereas the fake me comes out in real life. Both are a part of me, but it is a relief to do my own thang and not have people in my face about it!

2. profile image0

You're on the wrong thread buddy. lol

5. profile image0

I loved reading thru all your answers. And even though I deal with real life ppl all week long, I spose I am more real here than there. In real life, I mostly listen to other ppl talk. I have found that ppl are generally self interested and they tend to enjoy talking about themselves... I don't mind, I like to get to know ppl and their stories. I find it easy to get on their level, no matter what the level... but it's so nice to come here and talk about the things I like to talk about, to walk away from the conversations that don't interest me... It's a controlled environment for many of us. We take and give what we want and avoid the rest. It's all very interesting, at least I think it is.

1. LeanMan profile image79
      LeanManposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Are people more real online??? Personally I think I am more real in person - although I used to be nicknamed C.U.B (Complete Utter Bastard) by those that loved me as I always say what I really think not what people want to hear..
      Not always a good trait for a business consultant when you want to win business; telling the owner he couldn"t organise a piss up in brewery does not always help you get the job!

1. profile image0

Don't worry, you totally come across that way online as well. wink

1. LeanMan profile image79
          LeanManposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I was trying to hide that side of my personality so hard as well..........

6. profile image0
    cjaroszposted 10 years ago

Well not that the other post have not been interesting to say the bit. I think I'm more of a hermit myself. My husband tells mere all the time, I dont have enough friends. Truth is I have my good friends, they are loyal, they have lives, we do our own things, but they are my friends. I'm an awkwardly socially challenged person. Not really the life of the party. I'm not one nicely mingling around. Keeping to myself, acting as if I actually care.

I'm not  one to get into great debates, and social interactive things. I'm more the one sitting on the side lines wondering what is up with all these crazy people. Kind of like entertainment in a way, that I rarely involve in. I'm a home body, I stay in my comfort zone for the most part. I like it here.

1. profile image0

I enjoy ppl like you.

7. electronician profile image78
    electronicianposted 10 years ago

Since you requested more than just 'the same boring answer' I decided to take the time to write a Haiku for you to express my thoughts about this question:

Atomization
    Community virtually exists
    The internet age.

1. profile image0

Very impressive. We used to have a haiku thread on the scrabble forum... We totally ignored the nature part and just went on for hundreds and hundreds of pages speaking syllabic-ally. We'd use the line from the last persons last line so it would go like...

I love to write so...
      I find myself here again
      with you, on HP.

With you, on HP,
      I have discovered that I
      prefer lonliness.

Nothing notable for the most part, but fun and biting depending on who was posting.

8. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 10 years ago

Internet bullies :

You sit at the PC and type without
    thinking
    Like a school boy  who only talks tough
    when he's  been drinking

They always show up too
    like the bug  the flue or an STD
    As long as they can hurt someone
    they'll do it for free

Ban them away  away their keyboards they
    watch them crawl back into their sewer
    Show them for who they really are
    it might just be the cure

Know them well , they already know who they are

1. Will Apse profile image87
      Will Apseposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Why revive this thread? Why not give ATM a bit of peace?

2. profile image0

I think you could make a good poem out of mud if you wanted to. smile

My!
        U
        Diggit

1. profile image0

Horseback is the man when it comes to poetry. smile

Did you get the joke? Diggit - in the mud???

Oops I didn't even intent the joke, was just saying the first thing to mind!

1. profile image0

*Hangs head in shame.*
              I can't believe i missed that perfectly good joke!
              Maybe I should go to bed.

Well it's 5pm in Australia so I'm going out to dinner shortly (though sadly, no hubs with featured photos of dinner this time). Yes, go to bed and instigate poetry in the morning!!!

1. profile image0

Have fun out there on the same earth Im on, only a very long ways away... so far you're actually taking part in a different day.

The answer to that of course, is 42.

9. Ericdierker profile image46
    Ericdierkerposted 10 years ago

I just love the banter among smart folk. (ATM not so sure) Just kidding blue person.
    I might have an interest to promote my hubs. But to what end is that as I am not yet economically involved?

No. I like this place. You people are this place.

10. spartucusjones profile image91
    spartucusjonesposted 10 years ago

I wear a luchador mask and $5 poncho. Other than that I am not really sure of anything. I mean I keep coming, but I don't know why, I guess I'm just that type of guy. Oh, and did I mention that I wear a mask?

11. Inutero profile image60
    Inuteroposted 10 years ago

Love this question. Nice writing too, immediately grabbed my attention.
    I agree that I too feel like a hermit.

12. profile image0

WELL! I just come here for the free cookies and milk my friends , Okay okay soo I like to flirt with the ladies ! At least I'm normal .

13. Cgenaea profile image60
    Cgenaeaposted 10 years ago

Like most of us it seems, I am quite the loner. Though I work well in groups,  can be the life of any party, and love speaking;  I would rather just be at home with my preferred amenities.  smile
    I so FELT the stuff you expressed in the OP. We are one (again wink )

14. profile image0

Wow, I didn't even remember what this thread was about. It seemed so long long ago. So many of us seem to have similar personalities. I guess that's why we need each other. smile

15. profile image0

Who says Beth isn't the nicest hubber around !

1. profile image0

Thanks Ed. smile

16. aware profile image67
    awareposted 10 years ago

hi Beth.  my mind constantly overflows with thoughts and ideas. they fall and crash like waterfall waves onto a consciousness that can barely withstand their weight. i work  in construction i deal with dozens of people every day. i greet them all  like i greet  all in the chat rooms i frequent . and i  hit many a chat room. religion and politics are my fave.. this medium does allow one to hit and run so to speak. but if i hit and run i  most always come back.  this  venue i dont use that much .  as Ive said im kinda mad at hubpages. im a chatterbox. and im enjoying your dialog . ty

1. profile image0

lol, well it's nice to have you here, as long as you're here.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)