jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (14 posts)

What rationale does HP use for selecting "Others You Might Like?"

1. JayeWisdom profile image92
    JayeWisdomposted 3 years ago

What is the rationale (if any) the HP Team uses to impose "Others You Might Like" on one's profile page?

I look at the three "Others You Might Like"--Hubbers listed on my profile page--noting that we share at least one mutual follower, or, in one instance, five. When I check out these Hubbers I discover that (1) we have nothing else in common; (2) our writing styles, topics, etc. are dissimilar; so (3) why should someone who enjoys my hubs be interested in these arbitrarily-chosen "Others You Might Like?"

For that matter, why should I want to read these three writers' hubs? I understand the principle for promoting other HP writers in this manner, but PLEASE, HP Team...use logic when doing so! It would make sense to add three writers with similar writing styles or who write about some of the topics I address in my hubs, but not just pick three out of thin air!  Don't you see?  Using the term "Others You May Like" does not make any sense whatsoever the way you're doing it! I can't believe anyone ever tries your arbitrary choices.

May I PLEASE get the attention of HP staff and an answer?  Thanks.  JayeWisdom

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I doubt that software that HP can afford can effectively detect "writing style".  I even rather doubt that it can effectively detect topic outside of the choice made by the hubber.

Something around 10% of my visits comes from HP; let's not get rid of that 10% for everyone.

2. Writer Fox profile image79
      Writer Foxposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I think it is solely based upon keywords you are using and the general topic of your Hub.

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I think you're right, or at least what keywords HP thinks you are probably writing around.

Which is not particularly conducive to actually providing "more of the same".

2. JayeWisdom profile image92
        JayeWisdomposted 3 years ago in reply to this

These are not the hubs suggested at the bottom of individual hubs, but the three HP members suggested on my profile page where ALL of my hubs are listed. Since I don't stick to a single niche, and my keywords are all over the place collectively, I don't see how these three people could be selected even by a computer (whether a "smart" or "dumb" one).

3. The Examiner-1 profile image79
      The Examiner-1posted 3 years ago in reply to this

I read through their profile and we may have one or more thing(s) in common. Or just our interests - maybe from the present, past or future.

I then look through their Hubs to see if any interest me, maybe all do, maybe some, maybe one or none.

I decide whether to follow or not. I believe that is what it is there for, to allow us to choose.

This was my reply  when you posted this as a question and I still feel that it is the way it is meant to be used. You decide to follow or not.

I realize we have a choice in the matter, as do any of our readers who check out our profile page. However, it seems to me that the results of clicking on the HP suggestions would have more positive results if there were more similarities between their writing/interests and mine.

1. The Examiner-1 profile image79
          The Examiner-1posted 3 years ago in reply to this

If you decide that there was a mistake, or you change your mind for any reason later, you can always 'Unfollow' them.

4. psycheskinner profile image80
      psycheskinnerposted 3 years ago in reply to this

It seems pretty clear to me -- an automated process based on keywords, probably mainly from the title.

2. paradigmsearch profile image86
    paradigmsearchposted 3 years ago

You are right. HP needs to lose that.

Thanks. It's nice for someone to agree with me.  LOL

3. relache profile image87
    relacheposted 3 years ago

It's a process as vague and random as the "discover more Hubs" but is focused more on writers of similar score than topic.

http://hubpages.com/faq/#discover-more-hubs

You have the option of "blacklisting" three other site members in your profile settings, preventing those authors from ever being shown in that feature.  So pick your mortal Hub enemies wisely...you only get those three.

Do you mean average Hubber score?

4. janshares profile image89
    jansharesposted 3 years ago

Yes, what relache said. I've noticed that it definitely has to do with hubberscore.

working