Some big changes just went live

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 72 discussions (91 posts)
  1. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
    pauldeedsposted 15 years ago

We just rolled out some fairly big changes to the site in the last hour or so.  There was brief period of instability as it went out, apologies for that.

Profile Page

We made the first significant update to the profile page in quite some time.   The big change is that instead of the latest, best, and hot listing we created a list of author's important hubs organized by topic.  You can see for yourself on Maddie's Profile Page.  We are rolling this out gradually, so you may not see it on your profile page right away (and you must have at least 15 hubs).

Other new features include the ability to search the text of author's hubs and to view a list of all an author's hubs that are tagged with a particular tag.

Because of the layout change, some of you with fairly long profile page bios may want to shorten them up a bit, in order to pull the hubs up a little closer to the top of the page.

You can thank Fawntia for most of these changes.

Photo Capsule and Link Capsule interface

We fixed a number of longstanding bugs in these two capsules and at the same time made them much easier to use (or so we think).  Larry did worked on the link capsule, and Fawntia worked on the photo capsule.

Slide shows

On hubs that have at least 3 photos, that are a minimum of 150 pixels wide and 200 pixels high, you can now enable viewing of all the photos in the hub as a slide show.  There is a check box in the settings box at the top of the edit hub screen.  When enabled a link will appear in the first photo of the hub.  To see an example, check out Paul Edmondson's hub on how to dress in Las Vegas, or my sister's hub on Restoring a badly abused Victorian House (the garage of which also happened to be HubPages' first office).  Ad revenue is split on this page, just as it is on a hubs.

1. VioletSun profile image81
      VioletSunposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I was pleasantly surprised when I saw my new profile layout, I love it! You guys have done and are doing a great job with the upgrades and hiring of new hub staff. smile

2. amy jane profile image71
    amy janeposted 15 years ago

Wow! The profile pages look absolutely beautiful! I love that readers can now see a wide variety of hubs from their favorite hubbers. Great changes - thanks so much! smile

3. Lissie profile image76
    Lissieposted 15 years ago

Wow the profile is so good - and so much easier to find stuff written by a specific author which has been a bugbear of mine for every! Thank you team!

4. B.T. Evilpants profile image61
    B.T. Evilpantsposted 15 years ago

It looks awesome! I love the new search feature!

5. Maddie Ruud profile image73
    Maddie Ruudposted 15 years ago

Thank you, users, for your feedback on ways to make people's hubs easier to navigate.  And big thanks to Fawntia for making them happen!

6. Marisa Wright profile image87
    Marisa Wrightposted 15 years ago

Thank you team - the Hubs listing looks great. I have only one teeny reservation - people used to see a list of our Latest Hubs as soon as they opened the profile - now, even if I shorten my profile, they're going to have to scroll down.  It would have been nice if they could have stayed where they were!

7. In The Doghouse profile image70
    In The Doghouseposted 15 years ago

Such an improvement, I love it!  Thanks Hubpages!

8. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

Very nice! Thank you guys! smile

9. Marisa Wright profile image87
    Marisa Wrightposted 15 years ago

I take my comment back!    I just edited my profile text so it lines up neatly with the photo.  The result is that "Latest Hubs" just peeks over the bottom of the screen, inviting the curious to scroll down - which means they'll see the main Hub listing.  Nice!

10. funwithtrains profile image43
    funwithtrainsposted 15 years ago

Looks great -- I don't have 15 hubs yet, but someday I will!  :-)

11. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 15 years ago

The profile page looks great!

12. LdsNana-AskMormon profile image79
    LdsNana-AskMormonposted 15 years ago

I just signed in and checked my profile page... and BAM!  It looks great:-)

Thanks Hubpages...  you ALL Rock:-)

tDMg
    LdsNana-AskMormon

13. Rochelle Frank profile image91
    Rochelle Frankposted 15 years ago

(With thedanger of appearing to overuse the word "wow" too much:)
    Wow!! these are great!
    I'm sure there are some things that still need to be tweeked ( My "Why you shouldn't have a wild animal pet" is  listed under "food")-- but overall I really like the way it presents things.
    Thanks!!
    Thanks, Fawnita.

1. Maddie Ruud profile image73
      Maddie Ruudposted 15 years agoin reply to this

That's because you have it tagged as "food." wink

14. profile image0
    shinujohn2008posted 15 years ago

When i saw the message that Upgrades is Going On - I Truly did not expect this kind of surprise. It is really amazing..........I want to hug the people who got this wonderful idea to reality. Thanks for this Great Gift

Special Cheers to Fawntia who worked on the photo capsule. It looks very nice and faster.

15. Rochelle Frank profile image91

OK-- so I looked at some of the other ones that looked a little misplaced-- I see that the first tag may be the most important in any posting.

I don't always think in priorities.  I guess there's no way to change the order of tag postings?
    I will think about that next time I post. Thanks, Maddie. I think it is a great enhancement-- no 'madder' how it is listed.

1. Maddie Ruud profile image73
      Maddie Ruudposted 15 years agoin reply to this

It's not necessarily the first tag that matters, but more the most commonly used, since we are trying to find the general categories into which your hubs fall.

2. Fawntia profile imageSTAFF
      Fawntiaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I'm glad that most people like the profile page changes. I know it's not perfect and I welcome suggestions.

Maddie is right; the order of your tags doesn't matter. If you don't like the topic that a hub appears under, you could remove the corresponding tag from that hub and (eventually) it will appear under a different topic or it might be removed and replaced by a different hub. (This is just a suggestion, but if you don't think that a hub should appear under the category of "food," then perhaps you shouldn't tag that hub with the word "food" to begin with.)

There is no simple answer to your question. It depends on how often you publish new hubs, and how often your hottest and best hubs change. It also depends on your hub tags, so if you change those, that can change the hubs and topics that are chosen as well.

That could get complicated, but it wouldn't be hard to let you choose, say, five hubs that you wanted to make sure were included.

Oops. Thanks for noticing. I'll correct it, but in the meantime, you can contact a hubber using the link on any of their hubs.

1. dishyum profile image58
        dishyumposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, Fawntia smile

1. dishyum profile image58
          dishyumposted 15 years agoin reply to this

It's perfect now, Thanks HP big_smile

2. Whitney05 profile image82
        Whitney05posted 15 years agoin reply to this

Or maybe could we pick our tag groups? Instead of the actual hubs?

16. rockinjoe profile image89
    rockinjoeposted 15 years ago

The profile page looks awesome. Great Job!

17. Zsuzsy Bee profile image85
    Zsuzsy Beeposted 15 years ago

The profile page looks amazing. Thank you team for a great job.
    regards Zsuzsy

18. SpotCoolStuff.com profile image69
    SpotCoolStuff.composted 15 years ago

Great improvement of the profile page. Well played!

19. Anna Marie Bowman profile image74
    Anna Marie Bowmanposted 15 years ago

I love the new look of the profile page!!!!  I am so excited!!!  I can't wait to see what these changes bring!

20. weblog profile image57
    weblogposted 15 years ago

Nice update smile Profile pages look great cool

21. Kentent profile image56
    Kententposted 15 years ago

I guess it comes down to which is more important, the person or their work...

I'd prefer the work take precedence, but maybe that's just me!

22. Research Analyst profile image73
    Research Analystposted 15 years ago

I can truly say it was a nice surprise to see such a impressive looking profile page upgrade. Well done, big_smile

23. Shadesbreath profile image76
    Shadesbreathposted 15 years ago

This is a huge improvement, thanks so much for taking the time to do this. 

I would let that stand except, what kind of hubber would I be if I didn't always want more?  lol.

So Rochelle's point about the "first tag" being prioritized, and Maddie's subsequent response, speaks to what I had brought up somewhere else... just giving access to our own group drop downs somewhere.

Example, me (my favorite example, btw):

I have my hubs grouped as:  humor and fun, academic, writing, and rants.   So, would it be hard to just let readers have access to that grouping somehow?  The drop down menu is already in "my account" anyway, so, it could just be a box on the side or something.

Only reason I say this is because I know some people only read me for a laugh and all my writing tip hubs has to cost me regular readers.  Too many "How to spell blah blah" email notices and they'll dump fandom in a heart beat (I would, lol, who wants to read that crap? lol).  At least this way, if someone finds a writer they like, they can focus in on the particular aspect of that writer they enjoyed without the randomness that tag grouping can create.

24. Rochelle Frank profile image91

I dunno Shades,

The best thing is-- they are all spread out there in some sort of a chocolate box assortment that looks tempting. -- even with teeny pictures.

If they are not what you expect when you bite into it-- that's life, you can spit it out and try another.

It does seem sort of strange to have my homonyms hub listed under "weather". But I'm good with it, just as long as it is listed.

1. Shadesbreath profile image76
      Shadesbreathposted 15 years agoin reply to this

So you're saying our profiles are now the See's Candy box of articles?  Man, Rochelle, I LOVE your writing, but I don't want to read into the one with that nasty cherry center, I have to be honest.

1. Marian Swift profile image61
        Marian Swiftposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I'll take the cherry center, if you'll take the caramel.

Great change, HP Team!  I did notice the instability, but every time it happens, there's a nice shiny surprise at the end.  (And this is the only site I can say that about.)

1. Shadesbreath profile image76
          Shadesbreathposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Done and done.

25. Jewels profile image83
    Jewelsposted 15 years ago

You admin people are really great.  I said that so that W word wouldn't be overused big_smile

Looks snazzy.

26. WHoArtNow profile image82
    WHoArtNowposted 15 years ago

Nice one guys! The profile page looks awesome and wahoo for slide shows!!

Keep it up!

27. The Lost Dutchman profile image70
    The Lost Dutchmanposted 15 years ago

This is a really great new Profile Page! Thank you!

28. Hope Alexander profile image70
    Hope Alexanderposted 15 years ago

Wow. Seriously. Great work on the new profile page!

I just have one question. Do you people ever sleep? The tireless work seems neverending.
    I'm beginning to become suspicious that HubPages may be run by the undead... vampires, maybe? wink

29. G-Ma Johnson profile image60
    G-Ma Johnsonposted 15 years ago

wink  Wow what a nice new look!! Handsome and easily read, and was I ever Surprised...been away a couple of days and what a wonderful place to come back to...Nice and fresh and new and clean,,,You sure got my Thumbs up for this...God Bless and a big  (((HUG)))) and thank you...G-Ma yikes) hugs

30. Paraglider profile image87
    Paragliderposted 15 years ago

Great changes - thanks Team!

31. Bard of Ely profile image80
    Bard of Elyposted 15 years ago

More praise from me - I usually don't like 'improvements' but this really is one! Thank you!

32. sixtyorso profile image70
    sixtyorsoposted 15 years ago

Great New Profile page.
    I have followed Rochelle's example and shortened my profile to fit my picture and viola!

33. SweetiePie profile image81
    SweetiePieposted 15 years ago

I also love the new changes with the text editor and the photo capsule.  Everything looks very nice.

34. Whitney05 profile image82
    Whitney05posted 15 years ago

I think the photo editor change will be interesting to see in effect.

How often with the featured hubs on our profiles change? And how often will the topics change?

Will there be any way that one day we can choose which hubs we feature. I really like the overall layout of the profile page, but think it would be interesting if we could choose our own hubs to feature. Just a thought... *shrugs*

35. Patty Inglish, MS profile image90
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 15 years ago

I was amazed by the Profile changes I glimpsed last night, especially the attractiveness, new features - especially the search and the tag groups - and all around upgrade. I think  Hub Pages is the bestplace to write on the Internet, becuase of the grweat Team we have!

/\  \ /  /\  \ /  /\  \ /  /\ (Applause)  Yayyy!

36. Amanda Severn profile image95
    Amanda Severnposted 15 years ago

Good work guys! The profile page is much improved!

37. Ryan Hupfer profile image59
    Ryan Hupferposted 15 years ago

These changes are so great...I wish I knew how Paul, Fawntia and Larry created some of this magic. I'm so happy to hear that you all like the changes and keep on giving us feedback on everything, we love to hear all of your thoughts and ideas!

...now, back to work. smile

38. dingdong profile image57
    dingdongposted 15 years ago

Pretty cool profile page, only thing is that the tag cloud is missing neutral

39. dishyum profile image58
    dishyumposted 15 years ago

It seems we can't contact any hubber through profile page - email link is missing... I wonder why!!!

40. Anti-Valentine profile image73
    Anti-Valentineposted 15 years ago

Yeah, I think the profile page looks better. Now, all of my hubs are visible instead of just the 'hot' ones.

41. Maddie Ruud profile image73
    Maddie Ruudposted 15 years ago

FYI:

Larry just posted a new blog about how to use the new, improved link capsule!

42. compu-smart profile image90
    compu-smartposted 15 years ago

Sweeet!!! Im loving my new profile page!! smile

43. Lgali profile image59
    Lgaliposted 15 years ago

nice changes

44. sschilke profile image75
    sschilkeposted 15 years ago

Great work Hubpages.  I like the changes.  The ability to see all a wide variety of each hubber's work is a real plus.

Thanks,

sschilke

45. Bob Ewing profile image65
    Bob Ewingposted 15 years ago

I like the changes, well done.

46. jyuva profile image58
    jyuvaposted 15 years ago

The profile page looks better. big_smile

47. ngureco profile image81
    ngurecoposted 15 years ago

Neat changes on profile page. How I wish you brought those changes two years ago.

It will now be very encouraging to market the profile page just as we do to individual hubs thus building massive PR on the profile page.

The person who did it must be a great thinker. Hopefully, I believe he/she will be able to come up with more sweet changes especially on that profile page.

48. DarleneMarie profile image60
    DarleneMarieposted 15 years ago

Love the changes.  Profiles are very appealing and easy to navigate.  GREAT work HubTeam!

49. Stacie Naczelnik profile image68
    Stacie Naczelnikposted 15 years ago

I LOVE the new profile page!

I'm also looking forward to a bit of free time to spend some of it on hubpages to try out the other new stuff.

50. hot dorkage profile image76
    hot dorkageposted 15 years ago

very nice Fawntia smile
    I'm looking fwd to doing a slideshow.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)