Marketing Help

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (13 posts)
  1. Billie Kelpin profile image84
    Billie Kelpinposted 10 years ago

I need some words - marketing words - effective words for a package.  I created a card game years ago and have about 200 copies left that I want to sell during February because my game is related to Presidents.

I'm re-doing the packaging and am struggling with the wording.  I have a very small space (the size of a playing card)
    This is a very challenging game, BUT I've seen 10 year olds play it easily and learn the order of the Presidents. 

SO, what is more appealing on a package for you as a parent or a shopper for a game for yourself.  I market it on Amazon and will try for school organizations and President museums.

I only have space for about 13 characters in a small font

"Learning Fun"

"Challenging!
    Fun!"

Unique! Fun!

Any other ideas?  Help me stop perseverating on this with you ideas!  Pleeeeeeeze - I'm driving myself crazy!

Thank you.

1. Cardisa profile image88
      Cardisaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Can you supply a simple tutorial? Like how many cards, players and basic how to? I need a visual of the game so I can help you. I write sales copy sometimes so I may be able to come up with something catchy.

Billie Kelpinposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Cardisa,  Thank you so much.  I'm never quite sure how much I can say here on hubpages with the "overly promotional" policy. (I understand that's for hubs, but still it holds me back.)  But, what the heck. We have an online version and the decks of cards that I'm trying to sell.  The decks on Amazon can be seen here: http://www.amazon.com/Obama-Solitaire-n … B001O2WCO0
        The online game is here: http://www.amazon.com/Obama-Solitaire-n … B001O2WCO0    (I am in the process of converting our 20 year old website, so my linking is off on these pages, but you can get the idea of how the game is played from here.  This is my concept and my husband implemented the online software.  However, as I said, I need to get the decks that I have sold in February (Presidents' month) and move one.

2. Billie Kelpin profile image84

oh and I forgot
    The game can be played by a variety of ages. 
    Do I say
    "All Ages"
    "10 to Adult"
    Fun for All Ages"
    "10 to 110"  ?????????????

3. The Examiner-1 profile image61
    The Examiner-1posted 10 years ago

Try "For ages 10 and up".

Examiner - THANKS!  I'm worried though that I might lose high school kids is I put that bottom limit on it .  What do you think?

4. Billie Kelpin profile image84

Oh, Do I want to say "Brain Builder" ?  That's not very pretty though

5. The Examiner-1 profile image61

Try something like, "Game which exercises your brain".

Thanks again.  I'll use that in my text.

6. The Examiner-1 profile image61

If you think that the age of 10 will do that then lower it to maybe 8. How does that sound? If I remember right, I believe that you are older than 10 for High School. Plus, they have their own minds about what they want to do so it might not make a difference.

7. ChicagoPhotos profile image69
    ChicagoPhotosposted 10 years ago

Putting an age limit on a "learning " game will shoot yourself in the foot.  We know a 10 year old is NOT your market, your market is a 35 years old with a 10 year old child.  the benefit is to help their child know the presidents better.

All parents think their child is smart. and they want the best advantages they can get for them If they want to help their child learn the president and they feel they are ready, don't let an age stamp on the box turn away a percentage of possible buyers.

The packaging has to appeal first to the Child, the Marketing message has to appeal to the parent.  don't confuse the 2.

Like Cardisa said,  you can easily do a tutorial ( video) to sell its virtues to the parents so they understand how it works.

You have to "claim a mountain" so to speak. is it a game? or is it a teaching device?    Games are just games.  A teaching device  can be fun, but it has more value.   Parents will pay more for a teaching device.

Thank you so much ChicagoPhotos.  I put links on my to Cardisa.  I like the "claim a mountain" concept.  I have so many mountains, but the one unifying element is teaching/learning.  I don't like the word edutainment, but that kinda puts it in a nut shell. 

I think you're exactly right about parents thinking their child is smart enough for anything and thus, why limit the age.  A ten-year old was with his parents at a political convention where we had a booth.  I told him to play the game and come back to our booth when he knew the order of the Pres.  Twenty minutes later he came back and recited them! He was really proud.

8. ChicagoPhotos profile image69
    ChicagoPhotosposted 10 years ago

Oh, this is such a hot topic for me. I LOVE this part of marketing.   So Billie first thing you do is do 1 million dollars worth of research into the right words. OR  Look up the products that appeal to the same audience of parents you are looking to sell to and see what descriptive words they use.  Go to a few sites that sell to your target and wee how they phrase things.  That will narrow down the word search quickly. 

Figure out what language your market listens to and use those words to market your deck of cards.  So many people try to sell the wrong item to the wrong group of people, then they think something is wrong with the product. 

So who is your market?  and what other products do they buy?

right now you are asking a bunch of people who are not in your market what might work.  The results may not be pretty.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)