I need some keyword advice.

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (36 posts)
  1. susi10 profile image96
    susi10posted 10 years ago

Hi all. I just started this thread because I need some advice on choosing keywords. Sometimes when selecting keywords, I choose the keywords with about 200 global searches a month but not much competition. This is good and I rank very well for those keywords but I feel that I don't get enough traffic from them. Should I start trying to rank for keywords with global searches in the tens of thousands but with higher competition with the likes of ehow and wikihow? Would I be able to rank on the first page for let's say a keyword with 3,000 searches per month with 2 articles from eHow and Wikihow. Thanks for your help! smile

1. Writer Fox profile image33
      Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Personally, I wouldn't target anything which didn't get at least 5,000 searches a month unless there's another reason for wanting it online.  Most of the phrases I target have 10,000 or more searches a month and some have tens of thousands.

susi10posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your response, Writer Fox.
        I have a PageRank of 3 right now, so would I get on Page 1 or 2 for keywords with about 10,000+ searches?

The PageRank of your Hub (not your Profile) is a strong ranking factor but there are 200 factors which Google uses to determine which webpages to rank for each search query.  There is no way of predicting with certainty how a Hub will rank.  Use the best SEO and SEO content writing guidelines, check out the competition, get some backlinks if you can, and see what happens.

2. Marisa Wright profile image85
          Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think you may be confusing PageRank and where your Hubs rank in search engines. They're two completely different things. 

Also, if you're looking at the 'competition' column in the Google keyword tool, don't.  It tells you how much competition there is for advertising on those keywords.  If competition is high, advertisers will have to pay more for an ad.  So high competition can be good, because it means the ads will be paying more per click - but otherwise, it's not much help to you. It's certainly not telling you how much competition you face from other writers. 

I was always told to go for kewyords with searches of around 2,000 to 4,000 a month.  There are thousands of writers out there, trying to make a living online,  They're all going for the big 10,000+ topics and you'll struggle to compete unless you're good at SEO, backlinking, social networking, and all the rest.  Go for the low-hanging fruit which writers like WriterFox ignore, and you can carve out a nice little niche for yourself.

I don't know who gave you this advice, but a keyword phrase with only 4,000 searches a month will yield about 1,320 click throughs if the Hub ranks #1 for the query, which it probably won't.  With a Hubber's ad displayed 60% of the time, it's not even enough to get one CPM payment a month.  Not worth targeting in my book for the time involved.  It takes just as much time to target a phrase which has real monetary potential than one which doesn't.

1. DrMark1961 profile image94
              DrMark1961posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Okay, but I wrote a hub on a keyword that showed up as 3600 per month, and it now gets about 10,000 page views per month.
              If I only wrote based on that rule, I would probably have about a dozen hubs.

That Hub is probably ranking for many keyword phrases you didn't purposely target.  That's great. Were you using the new Keyword Planner or the old tool?

1. DrMark1961 profile image94
                  DrMark1961posted 10 years agoin reply to this

The old tool. The new Keyword tool from Google does not give the same sort of results. What are you using?

We are all using the new planner now.  It's too much to go into here, but the new planner and the traffic numbers are very different than the old tool.  It would be interesting for you to see what traffic numbers are showing now with the new planner. (Be sure to click on the expanded view, too.)

2. Marisa Wright profile image85
              Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You're assuming that you're only going to have one keyword phrase in the Hub, which wouldn't be the case.

3. susi10 profile image96

It is still worth targeting in my view, Fox. Coming #1 for a 4,000 word search query would be excellent for my traffic. Let's say I would get 2,000 click-throughs for that ranking. 2,000 / 30 = 67 views a day. Now, that would really drive my traffic up! smile I just have to find the right phrase to do so.

2. susi10 profile image96

Marisa,
            Thank you for your advice. I have been told by The Keyword Academy that if your website domain has a strong Page Rank, for instance 3 or 4, you will have much better chances of ranking past your competitors in the SERP's. I really don't know if that is very true but Google is changing its algorithms all the time so PR may not be a huge factor any more. hmm

2. Barbara Kay profile image73
      Barbara Kayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'd try for more than 200 searches for sure. Look at the sites that rank first. Can you beat their content. If they are authority sites, you are going to have a hard time beating them.  Youtube videos are hard to beat too, because Google owns Yahoo.

3000 doesn't sounds alright to me, but I'd like to hear what others are saying about it.

1. Barbara Kay profile image73
        Barbara Kayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I meant Google owns Youtube. I'm surprised no on caught this.

I was going to mention it, but it was just a typo so no harm done Barbara. Thanks for your advice, Youtube videos always come out on top no matter what so any topic with a LOT of YouTube Videos should be steered clear from.

3. The Examiner-1 profile image59
      The Examiner-1posted 10 years agoin reply to this

susi10,
      I use three+ words, or phrases, instead of single words and I compare at least 3 phrases to see which ranks the highest. Sometimes if I am not sure I test it/them on Google - or more than one search engine. I hope that this helps.

Thanks The Examiner, that is what I do sometimes as well. For some reason, I am getting some writer's block. I need more ideas, but they just aren't coming. Hopefully, inspiration will strike soon. hmm

1. The Examiner-1 profile image59

susi10,
          How about things like "before clocks there were" or "how the sun kept time".
          Just to get you thinking.

Thanks so much for your ideas, you have really got me thinking! smile
            Hmm...I have some things to write about now. Off I go! Thanks again!

You are welcome, glad to help. I wish you good luck.

4. Susana S profile image93
      Susana Sposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'm going to give you another angle. 200 searches per month is very low, but if that phrase is part of cluster of phrases you want to rank for then it can be a useful addition.

What I'm trying to say is, find a topic you want to write on, do the keyword research and competitor research - then if you feel you have a good chance, aim to write at least 5 pages on that topic, with each page focusing on a different phrase - go for a range of traffic potentials including high, medium, and if necessary, low. Then interlink the hubs properly. 

With a little luck you can build up some author authority and subdomain trust with this approach.

Thank you Susana for sharing your tips. I really appreciate your help. Building a niche of 4 to 5 pages seems like a good idea. I was thinking of building a niche on "sundials" since I am writing a hub on them at the moment. What do you think of that niche?

I do not know about anyone else but I think that this is the right time for it.

Really?

That was a hint. I was using a keyword. 'Time'.

2. ravenrage07 profile image61
    ravenrage07posted 10 years ago

What I always do is just take the subject matter I am going to write about and type into Google what I would type in for that topic if I was looking. Basically like this. If I'm writing a hub about a video game console I'll Google "Video game Console" and see what the suggestions are. Then I base my title and key wording off of that. Works pretty well I have had about 300 views in the last 30 days (which is a lot for me)

1. younghopes profile image67
      younghopesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hi Ravenrage, evven i do the same thing. i type the word for example "beach wedding hairstyle" in google and see the results but somewhere i read that i should also write-allintitle before this i.e allintitle:"beach wedding hairstyle" and then see the exact results. Is this right?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)