jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (26 posts)

Is this allowed by Google

1. Barbara Kay profile image88
    Barbara Kayposted 3 years ago

I have a page at Facebook.  Facebook says it will charge just $5 for the page to be shown to 1000 people. Is advertising a page for a site that has Google Adsense on it allowable? Anyone know? Is Google going to say it is manipulated traffic or something? Worse yet, can I lose my Google Addsense account?

1. Writer Fox profile image77
      Writer Foxposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Google basically hates Facebook, which is why it invented Google+.  Google can't crawl most of Facebook because so much of that site requires a login.

Paying for (disclosed) advertising to your site is not against Google's Webmaster Guidelines and that's how Google makes 97% of its income.

That said, I don't know if it would be cost-effective for you to do that.  Test it and see what the ROI is.

2. psycheskinner profile image80
    psycheskinnerposted 3 years ago

There is nothing to prevent you doing it other than the fact it is extremely unlikely to yield a profit.

Barbara Kayposted 3 years agoin reply to this

That brings up the question "Is it targeted traffic?" It is for a niche site. I just assumed it was, but if it wasn't 1000 views isn't good.

1. Marisa Wright profile image94
        Marisa Wrightposted 3 years agoin reply to this

1000 views is very small.   You earn between $2 and $5 per 1,000 views on HubPages.  Of the 1,000 people who visit your Facebook page, only a small percentage is likely to click through to your Hubs.  So you're going to be losing money on the deal!

1. Writer Fox profile image77
          Writer Foxposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Barbara asked this question about a Facebook page she has for her website.  She sells products on her website and builds a following of repeat visitors.  It's not the same as trying to advertise a HubPages account. That kind of advertising can work very well, which is why Google AdWords/AdSense has made billions of dollars.

1. Jayne Lancer profile image92
            Jayne Lancerposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Yes, it makes perfect sense to at least experiment with this kind of advertising - I see Barbara says it's for a niche site. If she does decide to go ahead with it, I'd be very interested to know if it pays off.

1. shabarigirish profile image51
              shabarigirishposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Just now started a facebook ad campaign to promote my niche website for testing its worth. I'll keep you guys posted on the results.

1. Jayne Lancer profile image92
                Jayne Lancerposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I look forward to it.

2. Barbara Kay profile image88

shabarigirish, I'd like to hear how you do too.

1. shabarigirish profile image51

It has been two weeks since I set the add campaign,  no visitor from facebook so far.

Thanks for letting me know.

Writer Fox +1

3. Marisa Wright profile image94
            Marisa Wrightposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Oops missed the post where she explained it's for a niche site.

I thought it might add more people to become followers. $5 isn't much to invest is why I thought about trying. If it isn't targeted traffic though, it wouldn't be worth it.

3. psycheskinner profile image80
    psycheskinnerposted 3 years ago

Facebook says it is targeted. Experience shows it is not.  Lets say a generously estimated 10% click, so maybe 100 people, so with a generously estimated CPM of $10 you might make a dollar--for a $5 cost.

Thanks psycheskkinner.

4. Will Apse profile image89
    Will Apseposted 3 years ago

It is like listening to a gang of ten year olds speculating about sex.

1. psycheskinner profile image80
      psycheskinnerposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Many of use here to run ads of various kinds and do not how they work, thank you every much.  If you have a higher plane of wisdom I suggest that you share it, or shut up. Because the only juvenile remark I see on this thread is yours and I wonder what you get out of being unhelpful and snide.  It's like living with a teenager all over again.

1. skyfire profile image71
        skyfireposted 3 years agoin reply to this

You spent so many years on this forum, yet you didn't learned to avoid such unpleasant parasite? I pity those people who listen to advice of some of such snarky people here, who made SO much money writing online. Only if hubpages adds the feature to ignore some users. *sigh*

5. WryLilt profile image86
    WryLiltposted 3 years ago

Unless you have experience with targeting an advert specifically, it's not worth it.

There are ways you can pull the Facebook IDs of all the people who are in a certain niche Facebook group, for instance, and target the adverts so only they see them.

Or you can just target (if it's a post you're promoting) certain countries, languages, genders, age groups etc.

But unless you know your demographic very well, chances are you won't get good ROI.

I didn't know that you could do this. I'll have to look more into it all. Thanks for the advice. I do know who to target, so that will help.

6. Solaras profile image91
    Solarasposted 3 years ago

I spent $50.00 to see what would happen with Facebook and was able to target a pretty specific demographic.  That added 120 new likes to my page and a year later zero dollars in sales.

I guess it isn't a good idea then. Thanks for sharing.

2. shabarigirish profile image51

I think spending money on solo ads is better option than facebook ad campaigns,  inever tried it though.  They press release your webpage to 1000 readers for $50.

That sounds high though. Thanks for the info.

working