Discover.com Ranks Higher Than The Niche Sites?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (41 posts)
  1. Eric Caunca profile image97
    Eric Cauncaposted 2 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/15681339.jpg
    I just have seen this one. I have tried to search for “most beautiful bird” but I was surprised that Discover.com is ranked higher than Owlcation on Google. Any thought?

1. NateB11 profile image87
      NateB11posted 2 years agoin reply to this

I have some Discover articles that bring in some traffic and are doing pretty good in search results. So yes I think Discover articles can do well. But I see what you're saying, if a Discover article does better than a niche site article it pretty much flies in the face of what a lot of people say on the forums. Of course, it's a good idea to take what a lot of people say on the forums with a grain of salt.

1. NateB11 profile image87

To be fair, it would take a bigger sample of articles to know the overall trend.

2. chef-de-jour profile image96
      chef-de-jourposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I just googled 'most beautiful bird' on Edge and got the Owlcation website (The World's 11 Most Beautiful Birds) on page 2 about halfway down and the Discover website (Facts about 10 of the Most Beautiful Birds Around the World) on page 3 in 3rd position.
      Some discrepancy?

1. Glenn Stok profile image96
        Glenn Stokposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Chef, did you actually go to a Google to do that search? If you put the search term in the search bar on Edge, then you were using Bing, which is Microsoft’s search engine used in their Edge browser by default.

3. tsmog profile image83
      tsmogposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I as Jodah searched Worlds Most Beautiful Birds using Firefox. The Discover article was #2 on page two of search and Owlcation was #4 article on the same page.

I searched Beautiful Birds and the Discover article was #10 on page four and the Owlcation article #1 on page five. One thing to note is a Pinterest link was #3 on page one.

Tim, Firefox is not a search engine. Which search engine are you using?

1. tsmog profile image83
          tsmogposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Oops . . . Google I knew that too ha-ha

4. Kyler J Falk profile image90
      Kyler J Falkposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Just used Microsoft Bing to search, "most beautiful birds," and I can't find anything from any HP affiliate in the SERPs.

5. profile image55
      usamakhan018posted 2 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

1. profile image55

Deleted

1. profile image55

Deleted

1. bravewarrior profile image86
            bravewarriorposted 2 years agoin reply to this

You weren't invited to this party. Take your spam and peddle it elsewhere.

2. Jodah profile image92
    Jodahposted 2 years ago

I searched ‘Worlds Most Beautiful Birds’ on Safari, and the Discover one was three places higher than the Owlcation one.

I used the same search term on Google, John. The owlcation article, "The World's 11 Most Beautiful Birds" ranks number two on page two. The discover article, "Facts About 10 of the Most Beautiful Birds Around the World" comes in at third on page two.

When searching "most beautiful bird" on Google, the owlcation article comes in at eighth on page two. The discover article come in at number four on page three.

Google ranks the owlcation article above the discover article for both search terms.

2. Glenn Stok profile image96

Jodah, Safari is not a search engine. Which search engine did you use?

2. Glenn Stok profile image96
      Glenn Stokposted 2 years ago

From what I see in this entire thread is that Google ranks Discover lower than Owlcation.  The reports to the contrary did not indicate which search engine they were using.

1. chef-de-jour profile image96
        chef-de-jourposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Yes, correct Glenn. For search term 'most beautiful bird' the Owlcation ranks higher than the Discovery when googled.

3. Shesabutterfly profile image95
      Shesabutterflyposted 2 years ago

The only time I really saw the Discover article above the niche site article was if I actually put in top 10, 10 most beautiful, or added around the world. If I simply searched most/top beautiful birds, the niche site article usually appeared first. It really depends on what keywords are typed in, because the titles are slightly different.

When I searched most beautiful birds around the world, the Discover article was on page one and Owlcation was on the top of page two. However, if I simply searched most beautiful birds the Owlcation article shows up first and two spots down is the Discover article both on page two.

I used startpage when I initally searched which I think is similar to Google results. When I tried most beautiful birds on Bing, Discover was on the top half of page two and Owlcation was on the bottom of page four. Same term on Google brought up Owlcation first and then Discover down two spots both on the top of page two.

4. EricDockett profile image96
      EricDockettposted 2 years ago

I guess I see something different. Searching for "most beautiful birds in the world" I see Discover outranking Owlcation when using Google, Bing, and Duckduckgo. In fact, with Duckduckgo I see several Discover pages before coming across an Owlcation page.

When I search "Most beautiful bird" I see Owlcation barely outranking Discover with Google, and Discover outranking Owlcation with Bing and Duckduckgo.

So, what does this mean? Maybe:

~ Owlcation's authority is faltering. That would be unfortunate.

~ Discover's authority is rising. That wouldn't be a bad thing.

~ A little bit of both.

Both sites feature a wide mix if content, so neither are truly "niche". I would be interested in seeing something like this happen with, say, PetHelpful. I suspect it wouldn't.

The articles I saw on Discover weren't bad, though I only glanced. Perhaps they are just outranking the Owlcation content on their own merits. If Discover has become a competitor to at least some of the niche sites I don't see that as a bad thing.

Finally, (@Eric) based on the dates on the articles I didn't think this was the case, but has your article recently moved to Owlcation? If so, forget everything I just said. That would explain it all.

5. Glenn Stok profile image96
      Glenn Stokposted 2 years ago

The results in this thread are inconsistent because everyone is using different search settings and different search engines.

Both Google and Bing use your previous search activity to return more personal results in the SERPs. So everyone’s results will vary based on if you have “Show personal results” enabled or disabled in your Google settings or “Show news and interests” in your Bing settings.

Click “settings” at the bottom of Google, and then click “manage” under “Personal results.” 

If you’re using Bing, their algorithm will also show results based on previous search interests, unless you disable “Show news and interests” in your Bing settings.

Disabling personal results is the only way to make the comparisons in this thread meaningful.

Glenn, I don't have "Personal Results" in my Google settings. Is it called something else, perhaps?

The settings are at the bottom of Google when you use it on a desktop or laptop.

I don't see that, Glenn. I see Settings (three vertical dots) at the top of the tab to the right of my profile pic.

Three vertical dots is how it looks on the Google app, so that must be what you’re using. I just use web based Google, but the settings option should have the same options.

1. Kyler J Falk profile image90
                Kyler J Falkposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I'm unable to find these options on my desktop as well, Glenn. Only settings I can find for searches concern data tracking, and reporting sites that pop up as unknown to google so they may refine their searches for others.

Are you using Google.com?  Are you logged in to your Google account? If you’re not logged in, you won’t see the settings option.

I’m logged in all the time, so when I use Google, I’m automatically in my account. That goes for GA also.

Same here, but the only settings tool I see is at the top to the right of my profile pic.

2. Shesabutterfly profile image95
        Shesabutterflyposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I thought that was what startpage was for? I can't remember who, but I thought you or Brandon said if we wanted to see true search results or at least more closely related to what other people would see startpage was the place to search? Or would searching in incognito work? I did all my searches incognito including startpage to eliminate personalized search. When trying to figure out if my articles have fallen I've always used startpage.

I'll have to look at my settings. I never changed anything so I'm assuming they are personalized.

I'm curious though, if I don't actively read on Owlcation or Discover and generally pass up other known Maven owned sites do you know how that would affect search results? If I have content on those sites, but don't actually read those sites or frequent them through search often? Obviously big names like SI would still appear at the top but would that lower where I see other sites like Pethelpful for example where there are other big names not apart of the Maven/HP family?

Your search results are not related to what you have published. It’s related to what you read via your search.

1. Shesabutterfly profile image95

That's what I thought, just wanted to make sure.

In regards to startpage, does that save your search history? Is there a better way to see where my pages might be ranking for other people's searches? I know I can look at GA and get some stats there, but I'm curious to see where certain pages rank. I've always used startpage for that, now I'm wondering if that's not accurate either?

In response to your two questions…

I don’t use startpage and haven’t studied their method, so I can’t answer that. I would suggest you take a look at its settings to see if you find anything related to getting only personal results, as Google and Bing do by default.

There is no way to see the order of how your pages (articles) are listed in the SERPs for other people’s searches. Correct me if I misunderstood your question. I think that’s what you meant. The reason is that your personal history of searches you’ve done is different from that of others.

1. Shesabutterfly profile image95

Yes that is what I meant thanks for the info! I always thought if I saw it on page 1 or 2 for example that is where others would as well. I didn't realize personalized searches could change the results so much from person to person.

I did find how to turn off personal results on Google, but if I understood you correctly that still would not really give me any indication of other people's searches since most are likely searching with theirs on.

That is correct. smile

3. EricDockett profile image96
        EricDockettposted 2 years agoin reply to this

That's why I included searches with Duckduckgo. That seemed to have the worst instances of Discover outranking Owlcation.

Normal humans (you know, not writers) out in the world aren't going to disable their personal results, so if Owlcation and Discover are that close in ranking chances are they will see what some of us are seeing. I think there is something more to it than settings.

But whatever. It kind of doesn't matter. smile

I think you missed the point, Eric. Even though most people out in the world don’t disable their personal settings, that will not cause them to have the same results as we have when we allow personal results in our search.

Their results will still be based on their own personal search history, which would undoubtedly be different from what you or I would have searched for online. So results will be different for each individual.

DuckDuckGo doesn’t save search history, so that could be the closest thing to getting a consistent comparison among all of us.

1. EricDockett profile image96
            EricDockettposted 2 years agoin reply to this

No, I get the point. smile

6. Misbah786 profile image85
      Misbah786posted 2 years ago

To be honest Discover consistently generates more traffic for me than any niche site

1. Misbah786 profile image85
        Misbah786posted 2 years agoin reply to this

1) Search results from google.es shows this

https://hubstatic.com/15681667_f1024.jpg

2) Yahoo shows this

https://hubstatic.com/15681669_f1024.jpg

3) Bing shows this

https://hubstatic.com/15681671_f1024.jpg

For me there are no results from Discover and Owlcation

7. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
      PaulGoodman67posted 2 years ago

A quick, unscientific search on Google for "most beautiful bird" by myself has neither result highlighted on the first page of results. I can't see either getting much traffic, as it's the top 5 results that really matter imho.

I thought this thread was going to be about domain comparison, which would have been more significant. There's no reason why Discover shouldn't beat Owlcation in some circumstances, especially with the lower rankings.

8. NateB11 profile image87
      NateB11posted 2 years ago

I get Owlcation on 2nd page of SERPs in 10th place and Discover on 3rd page in 6th place for search term "most beautiful bird in the world".

For "most beautiful bird" Owlcation is #9 on page 2, Discover is #7 on page 3.

Which is all kind of a relief to me because I just submitted an article to Owlcation and it was on Discover.

Seems to me the general rule that niche sites perform better is still true. But I don't think anyone can know without quantitative data that is not anecdotal, which I'm sure HP has.

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
        PaulGoodman67posted 2 years agoin reply to this

I agree. One swallow does not a summer make, as they say.

That said, I'm sure there are lots more examples of Discover outranking niches. But it doesn't mean it's a general rule, or that you don't want your articles to be in the topic-based niches.

2. NateB11 profile image87

If I compare my articles that are still on Discover with the ones on niche sites, my niche site articles perform better. And often with fewer articles.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)