Featured Hubs Gone

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (48 posts)
  1. the clean life profile image70
    the clean lifeposted 10 years ago

Can any one tell me why hundreds of my hubs that were Features have now gone to Not Featured (engagement) This is very upsetting. I have over 440 hubs and now most of them are Not featured.

If anyone has a answer for this please tell me!

1. Faith Reaper profile image83
      Faith Reaperposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Oh, dear, that is disturbing!  If it says due to lack of engagement, then most likely there has not been any activity on your hubs in a good long while?  That is all I can assume.  I hope it is a mistake.

the clean lifeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hello Faith and nice to hear from you. Thank you for answering this so fast. Yes it is very upsetting to me. I can't make people come to my hubs so I guess I will have to just live with it, sorry to say. I used to have a longggg line of Feature hubs and now one or two here and there. Thanks Faith

I am so sorry, and you always had an important message in your hubs.  You may just need to change one word in the title or change a sentence or two and they may be featured?  Worth a try and then share on FB, Twitter, Pinterest, Google+ just everywhere.

Thank you Faith!! I will go into Title Tuner and see what they have for me here on HP. That just may work. Talk soon smile

1. Anna Marie Bowman profile image75
              Anna Marie Bowmanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Title Tuner is no more. My suggestion, go though and do a little editing. Update some capsules, check the wording in your text capsules, make sure any eBay or Amazon capsules are still displaying relevant items, and that sort of thing.

2. the clean life profile image70

Faith me again lol. I forget how to get to Title Tuner..Do they still have it here?

Oh, I am sorry, I just now saw this, but looks like FatFreedysCat already answered.  I did not know they had done away with it either.  You can try tweaking anyway?

2. bac2basics profile image85
      bac2basicsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hi clean life. Welcome to the club, half my hubs are now un featured too, it´s very discouraging. I don´t think it´s possible to change the title once you have published a hub. You may be able to change it if you go to edit the hub but as far as I am aware you can´t change the URL and original title so that it will be picked up more often when people are searching for your specific topic , at least this is what I found when I tried to do the same thing to generate more views.
      Making little changes to your hubs will probably get them published again for a short while but that usually doesn´t last for long before they become un featured again. Good luck with future hubs.

1. Solaras profile image95
        Solarasposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You can change the title, and I think their is an obscure way to change the URL - but too technical for me lol.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
          Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

No, there is no way to change the URL.

1. Marie Flint profile image75
            Marie Flintposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You would have to copy and paste your text into Word (if you don't already have a copy), delete the entire hub, then republish under the new title that you want--a bit of a process, but that would be a way of changing the URL.

2. the clean life profile image70
        the clean lifeposted 9 years agoin reply to this

bac2basics thanks for getting back to me about this and here is one question too. I have over 400 hubs and many are not featured at all. with the solid white circle so the question is are you aloud to delete that hub and place it on another writing site or is it in Google. I don't want any problems like duplicate content if I copy and paste it on another site

1. wilderness profile image94
          wildernessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It will take time for google to clear it's index of the hubs, sometimes several weeks.  You can check by doing a search and see if it is still indexed.

If it is, you can also request the google take it off the index, and that should only take a few days.

Thank you Wilderness. I will check like you said and see if they are indexed

3. Shyron E Shenko profile image70
      Shyron E Shenkoposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi Clean Life, go into one of you unfeatured hubs and 'edit' read and make sure that it is just the way you want it but add a note to your title '(Updated)' then '(Done editing)' and watch what happens in the next day or two.

Thank you Shyron I will indeed try that thank you !!

2. FatFreddysCat profile image92
    FatFreddysCatposted 10 years ago

They did away with Title Tuner some time ago, probably due to lack of use.

Thank you FatFreddyCat. I thought I was going nuts lol. Well back to drawing board I guess sad

3. DrMark1961 profile image96
    DrMark1961posted 10 years ago

If you open up the individual hub, hit stats, and then find search, you will find the same terms they used for the title tweaker under "search term data". (Thanks to relache for that information!)
    It might help, but you can also use the Google Adword tool to look for words that have more "power" in the search engines. You might ask Writer Fox next time you see him contributing to a Forum too. He seems to understand how to choose some really powerful titles (those that the search engines like, and that are never unfeatured for lack of engagement).

Dr. Mark, Thank you so much for this info. I will go ahead and try it and will look for Writer Fox in the forums. I just finished one more hub and ready to publish. Thanks again my friend!

4. IzzyM profile image85
    IzzyMposted 10 years ago

I don't see the point of unfeaturing perfectly good hubs due to lack of engagement. Surely the experiment to see whether or not not these hubs damage one's standing in Google has been concluded by now?
    HP have raised the bar for writers. I could understand the unfeaturing of substandard hubs, but low-trafficked ones??
    Time to retire this feature, I think. Not everyone has the time, patience or inclination to go doctoring perfectly good hubs that could fall back into Google's favour at any time.

I agree, if the hubs are perfectly fine, and just over time, which is natural to lose some engagement, they should not unfeature good hubs.  If you are active by reading and commenting on others hubs (it does take time), then they will come to read your hubs too.

2. relache profile image73
      relacheposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I've found I almost never have a Hubs go unfeatured, even with months of no updates from me and low-traffic, so I feel that this mysterious "engagement" is not just the traffic numbers everyone claims.  I think if you have low-traffic, but your visitors are still really engaging with the Hub (interacting, spending time reading, etc.) those few but quality interactions keep the Hub in good graces.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Somewhere along the line, I recall a HubPages staffer saying something about consistently high-quality Hubbers being exempted from unFeaturing - but I don't know if that actually happened.

5. Dallas Matier profile image84
    Dallas Matierposted 10 years ago

All it takes is a small edit to a hub to get it back into the quality assessment process - which, it will hopefully pass. Then, you'll have some leeway before you have to worry about it dropping out again. Though, whether you can be bothered doing that for all of your hubs is up to you.

Obviously, figuring out how to get your stuff generating more traffic on its own is better than doing the bare minimum to keep it active. But, keeping your stuff featured is, at least, better than nothing.

Thanks for answering my question Dallas. the problem I have is I have way to many hubs to take the time to tune up or change. I changed many about 8 months ago when HP said I had to do certain things like caps only on first letter of sub title etc. and that night I had over 700 views in a matter of hours. Thanks alot

1. relache profile image73
        relacheposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Of course you had a lot of views.  The HubPages system counts you!  Most of those views you got that night were due to your own activity.

And you shouldn't be surprised that hundreds of pages of content that you wrote two and three years ago, many on your own sobriety, are no longer considered that relevant or of general interest.  Your profile quickly shows stuff that hasn't been edited or updated in three years.  If you don't want to maintain your Hubs, you should not be surprised they don't work like they used to.

6. John Frawley profile image60
    John Frawleyposted 10 years ago

Not sure if this will be relevant/helpful, but try checking all your links. Over time, some links just begin to fail because the target site(s) close down or are subject to other modifications that leave your link/connection down. You may even have to choose an alternate link here or there, or lose the link altogether. Sometimes, it's just that your link must be re-established because of a glitch that disabled it.

I hope that helps. It should just take some time, that's all.

Thanks John, I always check for violations and must of the time the link I have didn't work anymore, so rather than putting a new link back in the article I just delete it altogether. Thanks for the info John!

7. ChristinS profile image38
    ChristinSposted 10 years ago

"lack of engagement" can be due to hubs not being interactive also. All of my hubs are featured, even some hubs that get very little traffic compared to my most popular ones, yet they remain featured. 

Most of my hubs have interactive features - a poll, asking questions of readers to inspire comments, relevant videos attached, bulleted lists - anything that breaks the hub up and keeps people reading longer and engages them will keep your hubs featured.

I am also a big fan of promoting (but NOT overpromoting) on social media sites like Pinterest and Facebook.

So true. All of my hubs are featured too and I do that as well...include a video, poll and sometimes a little quiz.

2. janshares profile image93
      jansharesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

+1 True dat, same for me.

8. Victoria Lynn profile image88
    Victoria Lynnposted 10 years ago

Same for me as with previous comments re: interactive hubs. All my hubs, even my lower-scoring or lower viewed hubs, are featured. Add a video, a poll, or some other feature. See if that helps.

9. zsobig profile image81
    zsobigposted 10 years ago

Luckily, all of my hubs are featured - but it is also true that I don't have that many hubs yet, only 70ish.
    All in all, that I can already tell you that promoting your hubs and writing about evergreen topics is essential. Lately, HP and Google are not fans of topics that are too personal or are not that popular in the search engines, so even if your hub is top-notch, it might get unfeatured after a while, once the (possible) target have read it and the number of readers fall and won't reach a certain level within a few weeks.
    I would advise you to write hubs that contain more information that might interest others, meanwhile cut back on their personal content (even if it is important for you). Sadly, what might interest you might not be that interesting for others and they might not learn their lesson reading your good/bad experiences.
    After taking a few glimpses on your hubs I can also say that some of them seem to be about the exact same topic as your earlier ones. As far as I know, Google does not like websites where the content looks like to be similar on several subdomains.
    So all in all, try to make 1 hub out of several hubs that are built upon the same main idea, and I am 100% sure that those articles that remain will get the right amount of readers and will reach a much wider audience than the smaller ones did before.
    I hope I could help and I did not offend you with my advice.
    I wish you lots of luck both here and in your life!

10. brakel2 profile image73
    brakel2posted 9 years ago

Don't give up. Clean life. I know changing title and having good layout and adding text can make hubs come to life. Just do a few at a time if task seems overwhelming. Write some evergreen hubs. Good luck.

11. Shyron E Shenko profile image70
    Shyron E Shenkoposted 9 years ago

Up-date the one that are not featured, making sure they are just right and add a picture or two.

I think! If you are not getting enough traffic to a hub it becomes unfeatured.

12. chriscamaro profile image87
    chriscamaroposted 9 years ago

Change something significant in each of the non-featured hubs like some text and a couple links/pics.  This will prompt HP to re-review the hub and restore it to featured.

13. Author Cheryl profile image81
    Author Cherylposted 9 years ago

You have to have 3 pictures and two videos plus 750 words or more for them to be featured.  That is the new guide lines

1. SmartAndFun profile image94
      SmartAndFunposted 9 years agoin reply to this

This is just not true. Where are you getting this information?

2. Matthew Meyer profile image71
      Matthew Meyerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Long-term engagement is part of the criteria for how Hubs are determined to be featured.
      http://hubpages.com/faq/#quality-assessment

It is a good practice to edit any Hubs that are no longer featured due to engagement and here are some general tips to refine these Hubs.
      http://hubpages.com/faq/#how-to-improve-hub-quality

The best general suggestion is to aim for an 8 or higher on this table used for the quality assessment program.
      http://hubpages.com/help/hub_hop_table#informational

Thank you Matthew for the links

14. Shyron E Shenko profile image70
    Shyron E Shenkoposted 9 years ago

You are most welcome!

15. dailyhunter profile image60
    dailyhunterposted 9 years ago

I think it is not fair with you, Hubpages should give you the valid reason for doing this.

1. psycheskinner profile image82
      psycheskinnerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Well, they have.  This is traffic related--so the reason is: too little traffic to those hubs.

Makes sense. I think I will delete some and post in another site after they are not indexed anymore. Don't want any duplicate content out there you know

1. psycheskinner profile image82
          psycheskinnerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Another option it to try and add a little new material to each one.  That is what I have been doing.

16. einron profile image55
    einronposted 9 years ago

Now the hubs that were featured do not draw the same crowd as when they were featured before.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)