Permalinks

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (23 posts)
  1. literal profile image72
    literalposted 9 years ago

What are permalinks and how do they affect my Hub progress. Thanks ;-)

1. The Examiner-1 profile image59
      The Examiner-1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

It is simply a short way of saying 'permanent link'. It seems to remain unless you remove it or change it. Normal links can time out, or rot - permalinks cannot. As far as I know they do not affect your progress.

1. Venkatachari M profile image85
        Venkatachari Mposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You are only partially right that permalink  exists for more longer duration or permanently unless you remove it. But it is a very useful link keeping your readers directing to you even after a lapse of much longer periods. It is the URL through which they can revisit your post even after many years.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
          Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

More longer duration than what?  What other kind of link could you create to a blog post or website that isn't a permalink? 

There are some websites  which are designed to generate dynamic or relative URL's (which can change), not permalinks.  However very few blogs are designed that way, and neither is HubPages.  On those sites, for all intents and purposes, a hyperlink and a permalink are the same thing, as far as I understand it.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86

Where are you seeing that word?   

A permalink is just a URL linking to a blog post or Hub:

http://www.bloggingbasics101.com/2008/1 … permalink/

It is a URL linking to blog post. But using the word 'just' removes all its importance. It is not just but a very useful link to your blog posts and hubs enabling readers find or revisit the posts again and again as and when they want to. Otherwise they may remain searching for your posts for hours and even days without tracing them.

3. literal profile image72
      literalposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks everyone,  I've seen one in the forums and hit it by mistake :-)
      The're in each submit box just hit more ... and it will come up.

Just hit the 'back' arrow.

Are you talking about the word "permalink" at the bottom of each forum post?

It's there so you can link to that specific forum post.  Say you are discussing something on another thread and you realise there's a good answer on another forum thread.  Go to that thread, find the post, click "permalink" and you'll see the URL for that specific post appear in the top bar.  Then you can copy and paste it into your new forum post, saying "I found this good answer to that question".

What does the permalink at the bottom have to do with that? I have just gone to the top and copy/pasted the link whenever I wanted to do that.

I'm mostly on tablet.

2. Venkatachari M profile image85

permalink is one which does not get vanished with lapse of time. Normal links get not working after a lapse of time say after some years. But permalink is one that works even after tens of years. This is the benefit of the permalink that is at the bottom of posts.

Hi Venkatachari
              I've forgotten which permalink I hit.  It might be one that I would prefer to get rid of.
              oops!

I think you're misunderstanding.   The permalink won't stay on your computer forever!   It's just a hyperlink to a page on a website (or in this case, a hyperlink to a post on a forum), nothing magical about it.

OK can you give me an example of the kind of "normal link" that will stop working in many years?  What does it look like?  How does it differ from a permalink?

I had never heard of link rot so I've been reading up about it.  It seems to refer to the process whereby links become broken or disappear over time - but that is caused by the page or site disappearing so the link goes nowhere:  it has nothing to do with the type of link. 

I may be missing something so I hope you can enlighten me and give me some references which explain it better.

3. Marisa Wright profile image86

If you copy the link at the top of the page, you'll get a link to that forum thread. If you click on "permalink" then that link changes to a link to the specific post within the thread.

2. literal profile image72

Got it, thanks

You are welcome.

2. duncansmith682 profile image60
    duncansmith682posted 9 years ago

Someone's probably already answered this but a permalink is just an internal url inside a website. Like this http://hand-blender-info.co.uk/kenwood- … d-cream-2/     

They can also be made up of numbers but its more search engine friendly if they are words relating to the subject matter.

That's what I thought.   Another poster is trying to say it's some kind of special link which doesn't degrade over time - I can't find any evidence of that.

1. duncansmith682 profile image60
        duncansmith682posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi Marisa,

That sounds like illogical nonsense, why would any link degrade over time? it's not like they have been left outside in the wind and rain  ;-)

My thoughts exactly.  I think the problem is that there's a term called "link rot" which refers, apparently, to the way links disappear over time (as websites or pages get deleted).

1. duncansmith682 profile image60
            duncansmith682posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hmm "Link Rot" . . . sounds like a term somebody invented when they were trying to sell SEO services, I might be wrong and just thinking skeptically though ;-)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)