Amazon Capsule Troubles

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (34 posts)
  1. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 9 years ago

Ohhhh---kaaayyyyy....

I have been gradually editing some hubs, and today ran into an odd and frustrating problem.

On one of my hubs, the Amazon capsule was hidden, and upon clicking to edit, saw the "out of compliance" red type about the new guidelines, and too many items in one capsule.

Fine.  No problem.  I set about copying out the information, deleting the entire capsule, and re-positioning the capsules, with just one item per, in relevant positions to my text.

However, that did not work.  Upon selecting "preview results," nothing happened.  Nothing at all.
    Upon clicking "save." I was presented with nothing showing, either in the edit panel or in preview-the-hub mode.  100% Invisible.

Next, I attempted to determine whether or not titling the capsule and/or adding a description made any difference.  It did not.

What gives, here?  Is this a glitch/known issue?  Or do I have to contact Amazon to find out if I have been dumped or something because no one ever buys anything from my Amazon capsules anyway???

1. Glenn Stok profile image95
      Glenn Stokposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You may have discovered another bug. I already found one that I reported about the new amazon capsule (Squidoo version) not counting text towards total text count of the hub.

See http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/124217

As for your experience, here are a few thoughts...

If I understood you correctly, you had old amazon capsules that you never updated since HP changed the rules and only allowing one product per capsule now. I addition, you must have least 50 words in the hub per product.

When you edit any of these old capsules, you will be forced to change it to conform to the new rules. It seems that is what was happening to you.

As for the empty or invisible info, I have no idea what is causing that for you. I never had that problem. If you think it's an issue, report it in the Technical Problems forum thread.

2. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

I think the capsules are only for the HP Amazon program?  Don't hold me to that one, I might be wrong.  I went through Hubs the other day and found the old capsules that held multiple products, redid them with no problem, nor any problem in past few days

DzyMsLizzyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

"HP Amazon Program?"

That's a new one to me. 

There is the HP Ad program, for which you must also have a Google Ad Sense account, and I do have both of those.
      But to my knowledge, unless someone snuck in changes when I wasn't looking, and having some computer troubles, that bears no relation to Amazon.

1. Barbara Kay profile image74
        Barbara Kayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes you can belong to the Hubpages Amazon program now and earn a higher percentage of earnings. You have the choice of doing that or still using your old Amazon account.

2. Marisa Wright profile image84
        Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Someone snuck in some changes!  You have a choice now - either continue using your own Amazon account, or switch to using the HubPages' Amazon account (which pays a higher commission). 

However, that has nothing to do with your problems, because you should be able to  create Amazon capsules on your Hubs even if you haven't pasted your Amazon ID into your account - you just can't earn anything from them.

I agree with Glenn that, although you've installed some virus software, it sounds like there is still something not quite right with your PC.    It may be an  Add-On which has been installed without your consent - in Firefox, go to Tools and look at Add-Ons, and see if there's anything there you didn't choose to install.

2. Glenn Stok profile image95

The Amazon capsules work for either program. If you use your own Amazon Affiliate code then it uses that automatically. If you signed up for the HP Amazon program then your capsules automatically will use that affiliate code.

Either way, the same 40/60 ratio applies as always between HP and you.

3. LindaSmith1 profile image60

Barbara:  Is capsules just for HP Amazon program now?  Those who use their own affiliate account have to use text links now??

1. Greekgeek profile image77
      Greekgeekposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Linda, in the "Configure" section of our Earnings dashboard, there is a place where you can say you want to use your own Amazon Associates ID instead of Hubpages. (Although that means losing out on Hubpages' 8.5% commission.)

If you were using your own AmazonAssociates ID, it stays there and is used on your capsules until/unless you opt into Hubpages' program instead.

4. LindaSmith1 profile image60

I know hubbers can use HP program and their own affiliate account by using text links for personal account and capsule for HP program account. I am wondering if capsules are for HP program only now.

5. LindaSmith1 profile image60

Thanks for clarifying Glenn.  Okay, if they have HP amazon program then the capsule is for that, but if they want to use affiliate account in same hub, they use text links for it.

I guess that would work, but you are limited to two text links to the same domain.

Why would you want to use both anyway? The HP Amazon program pays a higher percentage, unless you, alone, are already in the 8.5% tier already.

6. LindaSmith1 profile image60

I read something the other day.  I have HP Amazon program.  I also am affiliate of Amazon.  The post I saw said that you can do both.  If you are with HP program, use the capsules.  If you also want to use affiliate account on top of HP program, you need to use text links.

7. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 9 years ago

OY!  It used to be so simple--it has now become the proverbial can of worms.....

In this particular hub, in-text links would not be appropriate.

As far as words...I have well more than 50 per product  (book) I want to mention.  The Hub stands at a word count of 1250; I'm only trying to insert Amazon capsule references for 4 books!  (4*50=200) so I have over 6 times the requisite number of words!

I was not even aware HP had made its own Amazon program--as I mentioned--if that happened, it was while I was struggling with my stupid computer, and I missed it.
    I guess I'll have to look into that, now... **sigh**

Thanks, all, for the info!

**EDIT:  I checked those 'configure' settings, and this is what it says:
    "The Amazon Program (via the HubPages Earnings Program) is currently active for your account. If you would like to change this, please click the button below."
    So, that would seem to read that I AM in the HP/Amazon program???

The options given are "deactivate" or "cancel."  ..the latter of which, I assume, would simply close the window, but I did not do that--I simply clicked off the page, just in case...

You've got enough words for sure. All you have to do is make a separate capsule for each product. It will automatically use whatever affiliate account you specified in your settings. Either your own or the HP Amazon program. If you are not already getting 8.5% from Amazon, then it pays to sign up for the HP program. See the learning center if you missed it.

Thanks, Glen...I did see an earnings percentage of 8.1%, not 8.5 ... ?? maybe it varies by product?
        Amazingly, I did see a report for one item sold..that astounded me, as it's a first!

As far as putting just one item per capsule, that is exactly what I was trying to do when I ran into the difficulty I originally described.  It did not matter whether I typed in the ISBN number myself, or returned to the Amazon site and cut/pasted it.  No dice--no capsule or product appeared upon clicking 'save.'

I guess I'll have to report this as a bug--but I've been a bit scared off of going to that forum, because every time I think there's a bug, I get a rather 'scolding' reply from Matthew, saying I should post elsewhere...  sigh... to me, it's ALL very technical...so how do I know what's a techincal glitch, and what just needs posting here, or an e-mail contact.
        (And, they've made the e-mail contact info quite hard to find...)

The percentage varies until we all reach the peak, but that happens within a few days of each new month. However, some items have a lower percentage. Since you mentioned using ISBN, are you listing a book?  If not, then it's the ASIN number you want to use. Are you putting it in the product field? If you put it in the keyword field, that may explain your problem.

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
            paradigmsearchposted 9 years agoin reply to this

How have you been?

Hanging in there, paradigm ... Hubby's health issues make life an adventure, that's for sure.  We go along on an even keel for a while, then it's two weeks in a row of calls to 911 because he has an issue and needs to get to the ER ASAP...
              My back is not particularly happy with the latest round of sitting in ER chairs....  sad

Otherwise, I'd say your worst day on the sunny side of the grass is better than the alternative.

Thanks for thinking of us and asking! Or--oops..were you asking Glen???? hmm

I've been focused!

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image85

I most always list books...so yes, I use the ISBN number.
            And yes, I know the difference between the numbers; so use the AISN one for other-than-books.
            I've been using the capsules (however non-productively) for long enough that I know to put it in the product area, not the keyword area.  I most always select for "choose specific product.")

Strangely, I guess people don't read off-line anymore--for the single time I referenced a product other than a book, was that single sale I've ever made.  sad  Go figure.

I've noticed the same thing. Paperback and hard copy books don't sell well. But some Kindle books do. Now that HP implemented the Squidoo version of the Amazon capsule, Kindle books can be listed again. In case you didn't see that thread, there was a bug that gave an error on ebooks in the old capsule. See http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/122035#post2627529

yeah--unfortunately, I usually put links for paperback/hardcover, as that is my preference.
                I own a Nook, not a Kindle, so that format is irrelevant to me.
                I guess more people own Kindles?  and I should switch to using that format?
                Sigh

What you use doesn't really matter. What your readers use is what counts. By the way, you can install a free Kindle app on your PC or tablet. Then you can download Kindle books too.

I'm sorry to hear the problems you were having that you mentioned to paradigmsearch. I didn't know.  That's the problem with me being too focused I guess. Not always a good thing. You probably mentioned it somewhere and I missed it. Hope things get better for you and your hubby.

oh-thanks--did not know there was a Kindle app for PCs.  Good to know.

I need to learn how to navigate better online.  I've never been very good at sensing what the trends are; what people want, and I do seem to be always out of step/out of the loop somehow.  yikes
                    And thanks for the well-wishes.

2. The Examiner-1 profile image60
          The Examiner-1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

DzyMsLizzy,
          Go into edit and look to the right to see whether the "Do not show" box is checked.

I just saw your addition to your comment. That is indicating that you already signed up for it. Clicking off the page is the same as clicking cancel. Cancel doesn't mean to cancel the account. It means to cancel the present operaton, which is the same as leaving the page - as you did. So that's okay. You definitely don't want to deactivate the new affiliate account you created. Keep it and enjoy the higher commission.

8. LindaSmith1 profile image60

I just went to one of  my very old hubs, deleted capsule and redid it. It worked fine.  Try cleaning your cache in computer, sign off of HP and reboot computer then sign in again.  See if that helps.  If not, contact HP because you must be dealing with some kind of glitch.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)