HOTD Puzzle and Inquiry

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (38 posts)
  1. Phyllis Doyle profile image92
    Phyllis Doyleposted 9 years ago

There is an HOTD, which is a fairly good hub, but it is not featured.  According to FAQ, "Only highly rated and engaging content will be Featured on HubPages."  and "Though only Featured Hubs are made available to Google Search and highlighted on related Hubs and Topic Pages,..."  and "If you would like your Hub to receive the additional promotion on HubPages that comes with Featured status, we recommend reworking it to improve its quality and make it more alluring to those conducting searches about its subject."

So, how can an "unfeatured hub" become HOTD? This is a puzzle to me. What do you think?

1. profile image0
      calculus-geometryposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Unsurprisingly, the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

2. Christy Kirwan profile image91
      Christy Kirwanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi Phyllis,

Featured and UnFeatured just refer to a Hub's visibility with search engines. Many Hubs are UnFeatured for quality issues, but occasionally a great Hub can become UnFeatured because it hasn't received enough traffic, simply because it is on an unpopular topic that very few people are actively searching for.

Phyllis Doyleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Okay -- that answers my question, Christy. Thank you.

3. CatherineGiordano profile image76
      CatherineGiordanoposted 9 years agoin reply to this

What is a hub feed? How do I get it?

The hub feed, or newsfeed, is the main page you see when you log on. It lists all the hubs, forum threads, etc.

2. Phyllis Doyle profile image92
  3. word55 profile image69
    word55posted 9 years ago

What hub is it? Give us the link.

1. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The HOTD shows up on your feed page.

2. profile image0

Tomorrow the HOTD will be different, so if anyone is reading this after the fact, the hub is
      http://mowry.hubpages.com/hub/What-is-t … -Labor-Day

Thanks c - g !

4. Phyllis Doyle profile image92

Today's HOTD -- As I said, it is a fairly good hub, well-written, but unfeatured.

5. word55 profile image69
    word55posted 9 years ago

Hummm, how can you determine that it is an unfeatured hub?

1. lisavollrath profile image94
      lisavollrathposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Click through to the author's page. There is no featured content listed.

6. word55 profile image69
    word55posted 9 years ago

I see that but what tells or shows you that it is an unfeatured hub of the writer's?

Well, the author on the HOTD shows. So, click on that name and it takes you to the profile of the author of the HOTD.

7. word55 profile image69
    word55posted 9 years ago

Oh wow! You're right. I didn't know that this could happen. Oh well, I guess hp fiqured that this one was more favorable foe today anyway. I'm sure there are hubbers that's been on here for years without having a HOTD. I wonder if that person is aware of it. That's funny. Now I guess I'll read the hub to see what it's all about because sometimes I read them and sometimes not. Hummm, What is the origin of Labor Day?

I can understand that it was chosen to coincide with the holiday. I don't think the author is aware yet unless he got an email about it. He has written only three hubs in the 18 months he has been here and only one is featured.

8. Sarah Switalski profile image68
    Sarah Switalskiposted 9 years ago

How do you know it's not featured? I didn't know you could tell just by looking at a hub.

It seems like it was chosen because it's a hub about Labor Day and it is very well done. But, since it's a hub about labor day it probably only gets traffic a few days per year which would put it in danger of not being featured.

I always check an author's profile when I read their hub.

1. Writer Fox profile image31
        Writer Foxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You have the option to display featured and non-featured Hubs on your Profile page. 

To see if the Hub is featured, go to a Hub, right click, view source code, then Ctrl F to find: "NoFollow."

2. Phyllis Doyle profile image92

If you read Christy's reply, you will see that a hub without significant traffic can be unfeatured even though it is a well-written hub.

1. gmwilliams profile image84
        gmwilliamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

So true, many of my hubs are unfeatured due to engagement issues because of insufficient viewers.  I am revitalizing such hubs as we speak.  Just revamp the wording, adding catchy wording and the hub becoming featured again.

9. word55 profile image69
    word55posted 9 years ago

Well Phyl, it's only about a holiday so, it may not get much traffic but if you read my comment to it, you'll see that I was glad to have been a resident in the neighborhood of the holiday's originator. May be the hub was submitted yesterday or today but I think it was well qualified even though the author has no featured hubs, yet. It was worth my reading. If you hadn't mentioned it in the forum, then I may not have read it. So, I thank God that you did bring it up. I learned something here when I should have learned it at the time I resided there. Thank you for your concern but it makes sense that the unfeatured hub was HOTD.

It is a very informative hub, Word, and does deserve the HOTD. I was just thought all HOTD had to be featured. I learned something new.

10. Writer Fox profile image31
    Writer Foxposted 9 years ago

The HOTD just disappeared from my feed page.  (I really don't know if it was there before, but it's not there now!)

1. profile image0

It isn't on the right sidebar?  I never see them in the actual feed,but they are always in the sidebar column.

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/9229099_f248.jpg

2. Writer Fox profile image31
      Writer Foxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It's back.

11. word55 profile image69
    word55posted 9 years ago

Yes, that's where they appear to me too so that we can always see them. That's a good thing: in the side bar.

12. profile image0
    guyrichieposted 9 years ago

also choose the right catagory for your work, it helps a bit.

That is true. I don't know if I would have chosen "Holidays and Celebrations" or "Science and Education - American History" on that hub.  I guess Holidays.

13. Jodah profile image90
    Jodahposted 9 years ago

This is a new one on me too..never realised an unfeatured hub could be HOTD. Then again I don't know what it takes to be HOTD, as I've never had one in four years.

I hereby bestow on you, Jodah, HOTDs for all your hubs.

2. Christy Kirwan profile image91

Hi Jodah,

Hub of the Day qualifying criteria are listed here.

These are the main requirements:

-Legally used, properly cited images OR original images taken by / created by the author (even if the images are in the Public Domain, they must still be cited and linked to so that we can verify they are properly used)
      -A first image that is sharp and clear and will fill the full dimensions of the carousel that appears on our homepage for signed-out visitors (In other words, the Hub should have an image whose original size was, when uploaded, at least 800 pixels wide and at least 600 pixels tall)

We also strongly emphasize:

-Excellent (and free of grammatical errors), engaging, well-formatted, and interesting writing
      -A good, well-chosen title (capitalized properly, no misspellings, etc.)

Stellar Hubs with legally-cited images and a first image that is of the correct size have the best chance of being chosen for Hub of the Day.

Hubs without legally-used, properly cited images and without a first image of the correct size will not be considered.

Hi Christy. I did not realize that even Public Domain images should be linked. I never provide a link to PD images, just the source (ie: Wikipedia Public Domain).  So, I should provide links in the photo capsule for PD images?

1. Christy Kirwan profile image91

We aren't as strict about links, but PD images must at least be labeled as such. It's certainly legal to use your own images or PD images without any citation whatsoever, but a citation is the only way HP Staff have to verify that the image is not stolen, which is why it's a HoTD requirement. We want to be absolutely sure that we're not promoting Hubs on our homepage that are engaging in image theft and violating the copyright of photographers.

Thanks, Christy. I appreciate your prompt reply.

2. Jodah profile image90
        Jodahposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for those guidelines Christy, much appreciated.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)