How can we appease the Google Powers That Be?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (14 posts)
  1. Cari Kay 11 profile image87
    Cari Kay 11posted 9 years ago

My traffic has never been lower.  I've been sitting back, waiting for the dust to settle and I'm now down to less than 500 views over all.   I had single lenses that did better than that.   

So, has the dust settled enough to know how we can fix our pages to Google's liking?    I know Hubpages took a major hit but are their writers here who have stayed above the fray?  I was fortunate with the the last panda updates to not lose much traffic but not so with this one.

1. Solaras profile image97
      Solarasposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I think another update is about to roll out this week or next, so I would just sit tight and see what happens with that one. There may be many things that need to change or none at all once the dust settles.

Sorry about your traffic. I think some writers went through the last update fine, others are off 90%.

2. Barbara Kay profile image74
      Barbara Kayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I looked at a few of your hubs and they are good. In fact, I'll be going back and reading more of these. The only problem I can see is that you need to get some of the Amazon ads off. The reason it is more important here to do that is because Hubpages already has so many ads on each page. I don't think Google likes a page covered with advertising.

1. Solaras profile image97
        Solarasposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Google only likes pages covered with their advertising.  I think they don't want competition for clicks.

I would eliminate any ads that have never produced sales.  If you have multiple product ads for the same type of product, you can just use one ad for that type of product.  When they click to Amazon, Amazon will give them all of the choices under "Customers who viewed this also viewed..."

3. kenneth avery profile image79
      kenneth averyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Cari,
      Do your best. Use patience. And remove any and all breakable items from your work area as you fix whatever needs fixing.
      I started to comment a moment ago, but HP needed my new address vertification.

4. Lady Lorelei profile image85
      Lady Loreleiposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You are so not alone in this Cari. I am down under the 500 mark as well and it sure hurts with Christmas coming up in the near future. I am almost finished my updating and am now busy trying to change my redirect links over to direct hubpage links hoping that will help. I so hope things turn around soon.

5. relache profile image71
      relacheposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Google declared war on sites it deemed "content farms" in February 2011.

Google considers HubPages a content farm.

2. Millionaire Tips profile image90
    Millionaire Tipsposted 9 years ago

I have to say that I have stopped caring about what Google thinks.  In fact, I read somewhere that Google recommends that strategy. It is better to have Google adjust to you and find the quality work instead of contorting to please Google.

Instead,  I keep my focus on the reader - what does the reader want? I cater to the reader's every need.   Have I provided good content, fixed any irritating grammar and spelling mistakes, kept the hub from being spammy, and made sure I provided all the resources - links, Amazon capsules, photographs, etc.- that help the reader with their questions in an easy to read and not boring manner?  Have I made the hub easy to find by using words in the hub that my reader will use to describe the problem or the topic?

This strategy keeps me from worrying about every single algorithm change, because I think as long as I provide quality articles, Google will eventually find me.

3. Cari Kay 11 profile image87

thank you!  I do have lenses that transferred over that I have not gotten to yet but those aren't the ones that got traffic.  It's my misdiagnosed miscarriage lenses.  Those are the ones that stay busy but, suddenly, have very little Google traffic.   Those are my heart smile

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The most frustrating thing about Google is the fact that it never explains, at least not specifically enough to be helpful.

One thing they have said is that they try to favour "authority sites".   An authority site doesn't have to be written by a qualified expert, or even particularly large - it just has to be a site that's dedicated to that particular subject.  In the past, HubPages seemed to be able to beat that preference - perhaps because the Topic pages were so big they counted as an authority?   

So I'm just guessing here, but I've noticed that when Google talks about "authority" sites, they often make special mention of medical topics.  They particularly want to get rid of quack remedies and ill-researched articles on generalist sites.  I'm wondering if, with this latest Panda, they've strengthened that preference even more:  you're not the only one to see their health-related Hubs hit.

Remember that Google's robots can't read sense, so they can't tell the difference between a quack asthma remedy and genuine advice on miscarriage - they just know it's medical and it's not on a medical site. 

I'd suggest that if it is a topic dear to your heart, you should consider starting your own blog or website on the subject and move your Hubs there.   The big difficulty with your own site is that actually making money from it is a whole new learning curve.

1. Elsie Hagley profile image70
        Elsie Hagleyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Marisa for your comment. It's not nice what's happening. I haven't had power for two days, come back and my traffic is the worse it has been in over three years. I want to follow this thread , so just chipped in.
        Hope we can improve our lens-hubs to improve traffic, see I have a lot of broken links this morning, something must have happened while I have been off the internet.

Happy days everyone keep smiling, laughter goes a long way.

4. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 9 years ago

It is "rumored" that Google is big on fresh content.

I constantly update my hubs. Google does indeed seem to like that.

5. Cari Kay 11 profile image87

It does appear that my pages elsewhere on similar topics are still doing okay now that I look.  My blog is still getting a similar number of hits per day.  Maybe it is Hubpages that they are targeting.

6. LuisEGonzalez profile image77
    LuisEGonzalezposted 9 years ago

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/11873725.jpg

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)