Is anyone else being plagiarized by free article websites?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)
  1. M. T. Dremer profile image85
    M. T. Dremerposted 12 years ago

Is anyone else being plagiarized by free article websites?

I recently discovered multiple 'free article' websites that have been copying my articles and pasting them to their own site. They give the web address to the original, but that doesn't make it okay when the entire article is right there. Has anyone else encountered this? Some of these sites provide a link to reach the administrators, but I found one that was entirely in a different language, so I have no idea how to contact them in order to tell them to take it down. Any help/advice would be appreciated!

2. stayingalivemoma profile image84
    stayingalivemomaposted 12 years ago

I haven't noticed anything...yet anyway.

3. Deborah-Diane profile image83
    Deborah-Dianeposted 12 years ago

Yes, it seems that every few weeks someone on the InfoBarrel forum has reported finding their article plagerized on another site.  I have given up trying to stop it.  Google will have to get a handle on it one of these days.

4. cardelean profile image87
    cardeleanposted 12 years ago

What are the sites specifically?  Often times they will copy and paste more than one hubbers's articles.  I did have this happen a while ago.  If they have google ads, you can contact google's DMCA department and ask them to remove it.  When I did this for material copied from Flixya it was removed within hours.

5. whoisbid profile image61
    whoisbidposted 12 years ago

My website *not my Hub .. is being plagiarized all the time by lots of people. Sometimes they do it only hours after I have uploaded a new page. I can see this going on in several ways and the first method is to check my statistics to see unusual numbers of visits from certain IP addresses and the second way is to spend several hours searching for paragraphs (not keywords) of your text in Google. Some sites are even copying my whole website and using a cloaking technique to show the website content to search engines while delivering different pages to the public (one of them is a supposed charity website)
    The most popular plagiarists are people who are bi-lingual or multi-lingual. What they do is translate your pages and use them for material on a website in another language.
    I see some people start whole new websites by copying my content on sacrificial websites which are straight copies of pages from my site. They do this because they want to see which pages are becoming popular. Once they have found this out they will close down that website and use the research data material (plagiarized and modified) to start a new website that has unique content but it is actually copied and modified from my site but Google will see it as unique content.

Most people don't know how to identify this activity because they are unfamiliar with how to use web statistics /analysis programs. Believe me, the people are copying stuff from anything that is good so my policy right now on new websites is to upload low quality material for 6 months to a year and see if it can get out of the google sandbox (the sandbox is a program that quarantines your site and does not allow it to be popular for a while)  If you are uploading your best stuff all the time I wish you luck because you will need it.

Once your site is out of the sandbox and you see that Google spiders are visiting your pages much more frequently you can then start updating with higher quality material because you might be lucky and see Google spider your new pages before the cheaters have copied it and uploaded it to their other site that has higher page rank.

The moral is "Don't upload your best stuff to your site until you have a lot of Page Rank and can see that Google is spidering your site more frequently"

6. ThePracticalMommy profile image89
    ThePracticalMommyposted 12 years ago

It happened to me awhile ago, and I know it happens to others as well. You need to file a DMCA complaint with the site. I too hope Google can figure out a way to stop it...

7. vox vocis profile image82
    vox vocisposted 12 years ago

File a DMCA complaint. I did that directly with Google last week for one of my articles which was copied to ArticleBase.com (free directory). The user changed the title and copied my content word by word. Google removed the copied content in a matter of a few days. I also filed a complaint regarding one of my copied articles on Blogger.com. The Blogger Team responded quickly and removed the copied content. You can learn how to file a DMCA complaint in the learning center here on HubPages.

Unfortunately, these things happen every day to all online article writers. I still deal with my other copyright violations sad

You just have to check your hubs for copyright violations frequently and file complaints . A smart thing would be to write your articles in Word and email the document to yourself before publishing (putting your name, date and title of the article) - it's unbeatable evidence that the content is yours.

8. LuisEGonzalez profile image77
    LuisEGonzalezposted 12 years ago

It would be helpful if you listed the sites so that other may browse them for copied content and take action, a combined effort may deter some sites form allowing copied content.

9. Maria Cecilia profile image82
    Maria Ceciliaposted 11 years ago

it's my problem now with my "types of article writing for magazine", two sites copied it and they don't have email addresses. They copied everything even the magazine which only published in the Philippines.... I filed a DMCA complaint but looks like the sites were not under their list... and I really don't know what to do...shall I file a DMCA complaint directly to google? and how are we going to protect our article.... I am a bit proud of my hub Article writing for magazine because it was really based on my own personal experience and observation and I can imagine the feeling when I saw people posting them in their site as if they own it...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)