jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (12 posts)

Would you rather...

1. Sed-me profile image82
    Sed-meposted 2 years ago

I realize this is totally a GM type of thread, and I don't want to steal her thunder, but the question interests me, so I'm gonna ask it. smile

If you could be a total nerd, ordinary looking at best, average salary, average amount of life accomplishments/experiences, but be happy... Truly happy - content with your home - in love with your spouse - cheerful to get out of bed each day - kind of happy....

Or

If you could be well known for your accomplishments, well respected, very attractive, you can do or go anywhere you want, but... you'd be miserable. The kind of desperate loneliness and sadness that makes lesser men fold their cards...

Which would you choose?

The first will never be remembered for much. Maybe by his grandchildren, but then... nothing really.
    The second will be written about in history books for ages.
    The first will have a full life, and be grateful for nearly every minute.
    The second will lack nothing, but his heart will be empty from dawn to dusk.

You cannot change or re-imagine their situations. These are the two choices, period.
    Which would you choose and why?

1. bBerean profile image61
      bBereanposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Fame and fortune verses love and family?  No contest.  bBerean who?

If I attempt to explain why I'll end up hijacking your thread down the path of yet another spirituality vs materialism thing, so I'll refrain.  Besides, for me, you know why.  smile

Sed-meposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I don't mind hijacking when it's used for good and not evil. lol

2. gmwilliams profile image82
      gmwilliamsposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Not stealing thunder at all.  LOVE THIS THREAD!

It reminded me of you. smile

3. cheaptrick profile image74
      cheaptrickposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I would choose the latter...because great works that benefit humanity,more often than not,grow from that internal dichotomy and existential angst.For some strange reason,turmoil appears to be a main ingredient in creativity...and creativity is the key to self determined evolution...huh...go figure...

2. Jodah profile image85
    Jodahposted 2 years ago

Well, I am kind of living the first scenario already and I am happy with that. I would always like to leave some sort of legacy though, but of those choice I'd have to choose the first.

Your children's children would be your legacy, and so on... but by the time you get to your great grand children... you might have to disappear from the picture to make room for future generations.

3. Marie Flint profile image91
    Marie Flintposted 2 years ago

It's more important to maintain a center of joy and love than to be remembered. We are all equal in God's eyes, so if I have his approval (and I do), it doesn't matter whether others see me as successful or not. Truth speaks or itself.

'Truth speaks for itself.' That's good Marie. smile

2. gmwilliams profile image82
      gmwilliamsposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Beautifully and eloquently stated!

4. word55 profile image79
    word55posted 2 years ago

According to your questions, to be happy is most important. Why be miserable?

working